NYCOM anatomy q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Su4n2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
do u guys dissect by systemic or regional methos. either way, what are the first few systems/regions that u do. i picked up anatomy made ridicuolsly simple and wanted to browse. anyone know if it's good?

finally, i know that there are other lists of books that people recommend, but it would be great for us incoming newbies to know what review books were helpful for what classes for 1st year at NYCOM.

three weeks to go ....

thanx!@

Members don't see this ad.

1st yr is all about the notes !!!! Everything comes from the notes...but here are some books you might want to consider....

Books:

Anatomy either :
1. BRS GA (great for the class, too much for boards)
2. High yield GA (great for boards)
3. Possibly High yield embryo (I didn't use this but you might want to consider it)

BTW, contrary to popular belief anatomy is honorable without LACHMAN's

not sure how anatomy ridiculously simple is (but I would get the microbiology version of it)

Biochem:
1. use lipponcott as your text (dont bother with that textbook they assign you)

Physiology:
1. BRS (learn it well bc this will most probably be your board review book)

- recently I saw the netter atlas of physiology in the book store...it looked decent...I'd flip through that and see how you like it....

These should cover you through about mid november......

If they didn't change it, your first block of anatomy is BACK, UPPER EXT, THORAX....but if I were you I wouldn't pick up a book until you start...it's not necessary...

GOOD LUCK....

so how much did u use an anotomy text like netters or moores. I was told everything is in the notes. Also, do u kno how we can study for exams as well as boards while we study. thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
moore isn't 100% necessary but it may make your life a little easier if you don't understand something...(therefore take it out from the library whenever you need it)...however an atlas is a must (netters is good)....

I did just fine in anatomy...all you need is an atlas, the notes, and somehow watch the lectures or attend them.......and tq's of course...lol....

and DON'T worry about boards until 2nd yr.....just learn your stuff well during 1st yr to make board studying a little easier when the time comes....COMLEX is very clinical and therefore 2nd yr classes are more impt.....

here is my take :

I used both netters and grants in tandem because sometimes they show things a bit differently from each other, often some relationship you see in one is not clear in the other.

the textbook is good, but only read it when you cant figure something out.... studying for me was reading what the notes say, then staring at the pretty pics in netters figuring things out...
lachmans is cool but UN necessary as many of the cases in it are also in the blue boxes of the textbook....
the brs review is great for questions to test yourself and sharpen you up... it will improve your score significantly.
the made rediculously simple book ive taken out a few times, its good for particularly devious things like the head and neck in certain places... otherwise un necessary from what i found... and at least in my case, i found it very helpful to draw/diagram... so hit up your kids or sibs for the markers and pencils.
while everything IS in the notes... it doesnt have to be. According to the dept, the notes are good, but if a topic is mentioned everthing on it is testable... whether it will be or not is irrelevant.
~Just my take

I used the baby Moore, Netters and the photographic atlas by Yucochi (sp?) during my anatomy days at NYCOM

all the best at NYCOM

NYCOM teaches regional anatomy (as do most American medical schools). I found Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple to be not very helpful.

Most students find that Netter is the best atlas.

Don't underestimate the value of a good anatomy textbook. Lots of students make the mistake of focusing on the laboratory and identification of structures at the expense of the written portion. I used Keith Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy instead of some of the class notes and did OK. The "blue boxes" in the Moore text were very good for those clinically oriented written exam test questions also.

Slightly off topic, but do people at NYCOM tend to wear scrubs all day?? just for anatomy??

F

Slightly off topic, but do people at NYCOM tend to wear scrubs all day?? just for anatomy??

Depends. 99% of the class wears normal clothes then changes into scrubs for anatomy. You'll get your own locker in the locker room and another for your group in the anatomy lab to keep tools and an atlas in. A few die-hards wear scrubs 24/7, but I'm sure even they change into different scrubs for anatomy lab. Anatomy scrubs probably shouldnt be worn anywhere but anatomy lab if you want people to like you ;)

There will be scrubs on sale at NYCOM on Friday during the Carnival. They have the NYCOM logo on them and everything, and they cost much less than those scrubs in the library! I find them useful for when I'm in lab because that formaldehyde smell will stay on your clothes for days! And it's good to have a pair of scrubs since you will be spending a number of hours in the lab when class isn't in session, and you don't want to feel burdened because of clothes.

They'll be on sale for $25 for one set and $40 for two.

As for the anatomy books, I bought Moore and liked it, but the class notes are golden. All of the TQs come from there. I also bought this book that had actual prosection photos in it. It has a black cover and I know I am spelling the name wrong, but it's by Yukoachi or something like that. It was a great help since our practicals are on the cadavers and the photos were the most realistic to study by...