NYCOM and TUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TQL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I narrowed them down to two schools-TUCOM and NYCOM. I'd like to get some information about class schedule and clinical rotations at these two schools. If you have any information, please post. I also like to hear opinions from students at these schools. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As an outsider with friends at NYCOM, they've got a pretty hectic schedule. Class from 8AM-5PM almost everyday, but the clinical affiliations, as I mentioned before, are arguably the best in the AACOM.

Tim of New York City.

Hi there.

I'm also trying to decided between the two schools. There have been some good posts in the past here though. So if you do a search under TUCOM or NYCOM you should come up with some good information.
(that's what I did)

How do I feel so far? From the info that i've been able to get my hands on, NYCOM is definitely more well established, but the class is huge, and while I am sure that the students are very friendly (although it seemed like a more competative environment), I got a much friendlier vibe from the student's at TUCOM. For me, it's really a shame that TUCOM is such a young school b/c I really liked it when I interviewed. I'd love to live out in SF, maybe get an apt in Berkely, I just wish TUCOM had graduated at least it's first class so I could get the match results for residencies. I think that I might feel a little bit uneasy about going to a school that hasn't ironed out all of it's clinical affiliations. Everyone says that it has great potential, but you have to consider if it is going to be worth it for you when you end up trying to match for residency spots.

Anyhow, I'd love to chat with you more about this and get your opinion on the whole thing. So if you want, e-mail me at [email protected]

Hope this helps a little, and
Good Luck with your decision.

JH

Members don't see this ad :)
J143

Have you decided on a school yet?

I'm in the same boat like your guys. If you guys have any informtion, please share. Thanks :)

Hello. I haven't seen a thread that invited comments about NYCOM in quite a while, so I appreciate the opportunity to discuss the school here. My concern is as follows: I know that the NYCOM Admissions Committee intends to enroll approximately 250 students into the entering class of 2000. Does anyone know how many students registered in last year's entering class?

I'm concerned about the gradual expansion of the entering classes at NYCOM because of the additional necessity to accommodate these future graduates into Residencies. I expect to write the Admissions Office about this matter, but if anyone already has information about the number of graduates in 2000, please inform us about whether NYCOM can manage to secure enough Residency affiliations for students that have passed the licensing exam.

On another note, I prefer the larger class size because (1) there will be more practicing Osteopathic physicians in New York (thereby increasing the public's recognition of the D.O. title within the state), and (2) there will be an expectation for NYCOM to attract the interest of Specialty Residency Programs.

There are about 250 in the freshman class this year. We were told that there were sufficient spots so that everyone would get one. Another thing to keep in mind, a fair number of students go through the MD match so there should be even more spaces available.

I'm a first year at NYCOM. I can assure it is a good school. The curriculum is tough. You'll work harder than you imagine you will even now. When it's all said and done, you'll have the opportunity to be a great doctor, and we have probably the best clinical affiliations around. Will there be things you don't like? Of course there will, but I would challenge you to find a student at any school in the country who doesn't have complaints.

Congratulations on your acceptance, and good luck with your choice. My only advice would be to think about where you want to practice when you are done. The next 7 years you will be making contacts.

Hey nontradish,
You got into NYCOM. Congratulations! When did you hear?
Susan

Darly

Unfortunately I'm still trying to choose.
We'll see though, there's still a chance that I'll see you in August.

JH

Susan,

I just hear from them recently. It takes a long time to hear from them :-( Did you decide on what school to attend yet?

J143,

Did you get my email? I sent it to you a few days ago.

TQL,

I just got your message. I'll e-mail you
soon.

JH

Hi nontradstudent,
E-mail me and I'll bring you up to date, [email protected] (I can't find yours)
Susan