NYCOM - Basic Summer Science Program

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Texas Sam, May 22, 2000.

1. Texas Sam

Texas Sam Junior Member

Anyone have info about NYCOM's Basic Summer Science Program. In addition to general information about the program, I'm also looking for info on when it starts, if it has already filled up for this year, if you need to fill out a seperate application for it or if it's an automatic thing once you've interviewed, and if anyone on these boards is going to be going this summer.

Any info regarding the BSSP would be great. Thanks for the help.

Sam

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Robert

Robert Member

Basic Summer Science Program?

I go to NYCOM and I've never heard of that program before? Then again there's alot of stuff that happens at NYCOM that not all the students are aware anyways...

I would call and ask the admissions office about it if I were you. But then again do you want to extend the tortuous 1st year by sacrificing your summer beforehand? [​IMG]

Robert

4. togo

togo Senior Member

I may be mistaken, but, I believe, that is part of the FP-4 program.

5. Robert

Robert Member

FP-4 program? huh???

6. samz

samz New Member

I called the admissions office about this and they said they you had to be preselected for the program.

7. Robert

Robert Member

I found out that the Basic Summer Science Program is for the FP-4 students. These are students who are on the 5 year program.

8. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Isn't the BSSP a program for underrepresented minority students who take some basic science coursework over the summer before starting NYCOM?

Tim of New York City.

9. Texas Sam

Texas Sam Junior Member

Yep, it's for under represented minority students. I was trying to get some more in depth info about the program, but it doesn't look like too many people know that much about it.

10. Texas Sam

Texas Sam Junior Member

BSSP just means that you take some course work before the Fall semester and if you do good then you start in the Fall with everyone else. If you do bad then you go home. I have no idea how difficult the course work is. No sweat hard, easy, whatever... it's a chance.

11. togo

togo Senior Member

Actually, there is a middle of the road option. You can actually take a "pre-first" year (I just made that term up, I'm not sure what it's really called) where you take four of the classes (Histo, Physiology, Micro, and Pharm). Then you take the rest of the first year classes the next year and proceed from there.