NYCOM Class of 2005 Meeting Room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJBS4

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just thought I'd see who else will be joining me at NYCOM in the fall. I'd love to meet some of my future classmates!
E-mail me at [email protected]
biggrin.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Hey - What's up? I will be attending NYCOM this coming fall as well. What other schools did you look at?

Hey AP,
I applied to four schools initially, but only sent the secondaries in for NYCOM and PCOM. I have been accepted to NYCOM since December so I didn't bother sending the secondaries into LECOM and UNECOM which were my other choices. I still haven't heard anything from PCOM, which was my other top choice. What about you?

~Janel

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I interviewed at NYCOM on February 22 and have not heard anything yet. I enjoyed visiting NYCOM and hope to be able to attend. I was told that I would hear something within two weeks, do you guys remember approximately how long it took you guys to get a response?

Thanks!

AMA

[This message has been edited by Bigk9s (edited 03-07-2001).]

I'd be interested in meeting my future classmates of NYCOM 2005. Damn.... 2005 that seems like a long way away. Anyway, if anone is considering getting an apt. near the school in June or July let me know. [email protected] If others want to get together, I know this cool place in Farmingdale, LI. It has a bar, bowling, food, an arcade, pool, etc... I know of some places in NYC to.

I applied to NYCOM, UNECOM, NJ, and PCOM. I had interviews at all four, but only got into NYCOM. go figure. For me, PCOM edged NYCOM by a bit, but only because of its location. Everything else about the two schools I feel are pretty even. By the way, NYCOM let me know about one month after I interviewed.

CONGRATULATIONS AP!

I'll just have to wait another couple of weeks to find out.

------------------
-K9-

Hey Bigk9s,
I heard from NYCOM about three weeks after i had interviewed, so keep your fingers crossed and hang in there!

Hey nycphildoc - I might take you up on the latter offer. Anyone else want to meet up in LI for some food and spirits? oy maybe even NYC?

Congratulations to all you who got accepted to NYCOM. I am sure you are very happy and I wish you all the best of luck at NYCOM. And now for a little advice. Before you start your first year at NYCOM, it is really important that you prepare for it. In order to be prepared, you will need as much fire-resistant material and clothing as you can find. This will protect you from the hot flames when you enter hell. And believe me, you are going to be in hell sooner than you think.
Congratulations upon your acceptance to hell. Remember to try and stay cool. :)
-your most burned and crispy Liquid

Hey everyone,

I'm a third year student at NYCOM. I just wanted to congratulate and welcome all of you guys to NYCOM. You've made a great choice. Although it is perfectly acceptable for all of you to bask in the "after glow" of an acceptance letter, you should understand that the first two years at NYCOM will be DIFFICULT. However, since you guys did get in, I'm sure you have what it takes to get through. There will be times when you will wonder about the choice you made (I certainly did), but please do not give up on yourself. Things have changed since I was a first year at NYCOM. Not only do you have a new building, but you also have newly organized first year curriculum. Although it will seem difficult for you when you first start, you should realize that my classmates and I have been through a lot worse than what you will go through. Regardless of what others might say, the faculty is on the most part very good. If you make the effort to learn and you show interest, they will help you. Yes, when you are going through the first two years, you will dislike them for what they're doing to you and your social life, but no one ever said the process was going to be easy. This is medical school afterall!

THE BOTTOMLINE: Congratulations and enjoy the after glow of the acceptance letter. But understand that things are going to get bumpy very soon. Also remember, you've convinced a lot of people that you'll make a good physician, don't get mad when you're asked to back up your words with actions! HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELVES, YOU WILL MAKE IT!!

first of all, congrats!!!!!!!!!! Exciting to see the interesting people oru school is gaining!
Just a word of advice here: I had almost a full year between my acceptance letter and the white coat ceremony. This almost wasnt enough. From now on, run to every movie you ever wanted to see, go all the places you wanted to go, max out the credit card and tell your family you love them- for you wont get to do much of that after you start. The first year was one of the hardest of my life, and noone warned me how hard it was going to be. Please dont take this as it being impossible, it IS doable (hell, I got through), but it is HELL. As the guys above stated, most professors are decent, but some people will leave you wondering whether they have a reflection or not......... good luck, and brace yourself!

TO the folks who are in NYCOM, is there anything in particular that you face at NYCOM that lends itself to the underworld conditions? Also, I have been getting different feedback as to how many students per cadaver - how many are there? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

Just called the admissons office today and they informed that I have been accepted. I am very happy, what a relief.

I hope to meet everyone in the near future and look forward to starting med school.

Congrats to all!

J

Congratulations to all of you for making it into NYCOM! Medical School is hard but if you take it one day at a time, you'll do just fine.
If you are looking for places to live, i recommend Glen Cove or Sea Cliff. They're only a 10 to 15 minute drive from NYCOM. Farmingdale is a little farther away. Its about a half and hour, without traffic. Trust me, anywhere you are thinking of living that requires that you take the LIE or the Northern State is just a bad idea. Traffic can be a real pain, especially when you are rushing to get to school on exam days. Stick to local neighborhoods. Its less of a hassle.

As far as Anatomy lab, its five or six to a body. Sometimes its a little cramped but when labs are four hours, its nice to have the extra people. Two people can work on the disection for a little while and the rest of the group can take a mini break or go to other tables to check out other cadavers.

Again, congrats!

Congratulations to all of you for making it into NYCOM! Medical School is hard but if you take it one day at a time, you'll do just fine.
If you are looking for places to live, i recommend Glen Cove or Sea Cliff. They're only a 10 to 15 minute drive from NYCOM. Farmingdale is a little farther away. Its about a half and hour, without traffic. Trust me, anywhere you are thinking of living that requires that you take the LIE or the Northern State is just a bad idea. Traffic can be a real pain, especially when you are rushing to get to school on exam days. Stick to local neighborhoods. Its less of a hassle.

As far as Anatomy lab, its five or six to a body. Sometimes its a little cramped but when labs are four hours, its nice to have the extra people. Two people can work on the disection for a little while and the rest of the group can take a mini break or go to other tables to check out other cadavers.

Again, congrats!

Hey - Anyone still checking this forum?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by AP:
TO the folks who are in NYCOM, is there anything in particular that you face at NYCOM that lends itself to the underworld conditions? Also, I have been getting different feedback as to how many students per cadaver - how many are there? Thanks

The more correct inquiry would be, how many NYCOM students are actually cadavers?

I think the last rule I heard was- all who doze off during lab become property of the NYCOM anatomy lab. So, if your cadaver has a ****ty leg due to gangrene, you can just slip some goodies into one of your lab partners lunch and voila- nice fresh peroneus! Why do you think they have six people per body? Not because they are cheap, heavens no!! &lt;heheheh&gt;

In terms of free time, how are the clinical years @ NYCOM? Are they as rigorous as the first two?

The clinical years are a lot more relaxed in terms of the workload. You get your life back.... if you were to rank the years, it would look something like 2,1 3,4, two being the worst.

As far as ayone doing a DO/PhD- if it exists, never heard of anyone doing this.

Are there oppurtunities to get involved in clubs or something similar @ NYCOM. From what I've seen on this board, it is very rigorous program and it's always easier to suffer with others who are just as stressed out.

Are there many extracurricular activities at NYCOM, where one can meet other people: clubs, etc.?

despite the hell you hear about from our posts, there IS a lot to do at NYCOM- the first week there you will be swamped with all the clubs you can join. But, I would say your first prerogative would be to pick a roommate you see yourself not strangling. I lucked out quite nicely- my roommates are my like my sisters. but there were people taht ended up not having such luck as far as personality matches go and had a bit of a hard time finding their niche. And of course, there will be parties the first few weeks of school.... so yes, there is lots to do, depending on your taste. That is one of the few advantages of having a class the size of a small developing nation- you will definitely run into people alike yourself.....

The first two years will pretty much measure your endurance. The third year you will find out that, although you learned more in the first two years of med school than all the rest of the years of your life combined, in the final analysis you don't know squat.

The fourth year you will get a chance to breathe.

Medical school isn't difficult because it requres high intelligence. It's difficult because of the unimaginable volume of materal you will learn. Develop good habits and stay loose.

A friend once told me, "The good news is that you got into medical school. The bad news is that you got into medical school. Deal with it."

Good luck and remember, everyone complains. Enjoy your discoveries and treasure the hard times. It's the training, not the education that will last a lifetime.

------------------
Check out DOhealthnet

Is there anyone that can give me information about how to go about getting housing near NYCOM? I've heard there is a list in the library with some information, is that where most people look? When is a good time to start looking? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

I have the same questions about housing. What's the best way to find a place, and where are some good areas to look in. I particularly want to balance price with location and I am willing to commute a pretty good distance if it will save me a a couple hundred $ a month

Is anyone still reading this forum?? I'm also curious to find out how people look for housing at NYCOM. How weird is it that NYCOM gets so few messages when other osteopathic schools are basically inundated with memos? Where are you NYCOM people?! :eek:

I've been wondering the same thing. Odd considering that its one of, if not the largest DO school out there. Maybe its so tough that no one even has time to check the forums anymore?

hello, all:

i'm sorry about not getting a chance to contribute an answer during the past week: my class (first-year students) was in the middle of preparing for the largest week of block examinations--which we've completed approx. 1 hour ago--and the second-year students are studying for the comlex-1.

the two questions i've noticed from the most recent posters concern housing and extracurricular activities offered at nycom. i think two months before you're scheduled to begin orientation at nycom (probably around the middle of august), you'll be given access to the school's webboard where students post on a daily basis. there you can browse a "housing" folder which includes many fresh requests from current or future students for roommates; you can also post a personal message requesting information regarding apartments in the vicinity of the old westbury campus, and the nycom students and administration will most likely offer some help. besides that approach, you can visit nycom again (which i strongly recommend since the campus looks fantastic with the foliage and landscape during this warm pseudo-summer) and gain access to many, many listings of apartments/basements/other housing facilities available for students (catalog located in the nycom library in the nycom-1 building) to rent close to nycom--the listings are updated regularly.

concerning the extracurricular opportunities and events where you can get to know your classmates better: there are many student-organized clubs at nycom (pediatrics club, religious clubs, the popular emergency med. club, etc., etc.) through which the student representatives invite doctors or speakers of other medically-oriented areas to give presentations to students during their lunchtime break. refreshments are often served at these meetings, and all attendants usually enjoy meeting with physicians whom have graduated from nycom that share their experiences. there was a recent "semi-formal" organized by the first/second year classes which many students attended (some students even dressed up), as it presented itself as a good diversion from the usual midnight studying. following each burdensome exam-week at nycom (which occurs after every 5 weeks of coursework), groups of students usually get together and visit bars or restaurants located on long island.

you all must be excited. good luck.

Thanks. By the way, is the housing info the sort of thing that will be sent out with the financial aid packet and all the other goodies I'm assuming will be coming this summer?

Here's a message I posted to another thread about housing along with some other info you may find helpful.

Here's the skinny on finding housing:
First off, start early. The earlier you start looking the more options you'll have. The last week iin August will come up on you pretty fast and you don't want to be stuck looking for housing during orientstion.
Second, some good places to start looking for housing are:
1. Visit NYCOM. There is a housing list with up to date listings located in the Library at the circulation desk (just go in and ask for it). There is also one in the Student affairs office on the second floor of NYCOM III (the new building). You could also check the bulletin boards in and around the cafeteria in NYCOM I for housing listings.
2. The NYCOM webboard. There are always listings in the housing section. You should receive info on how to access it in your orientation packet. If you are really anxious for access to the web board, you can always call up the school to find out how.
3. Check newspapers like Newsday and teh pennisaver.
4. Realtors- although beware you'll have to pay them a broker fee which is usually a month's rent. Its cheaper and better to do it on your own if you can. Some realtors in the area are: Cove Realty (516) 676-8899, Cedar Cove Realty (516) 671-1800, Home Hunters (516) 661-9300, AA-1 Apartment Hunter (516) 546-6684, AAA Room Finders (516) 783-5000, D&S Realty (516) 565-4928
5. On the internet. Check out: www.rentnet.com or www.huntingtonpennysaver.com.
Third, find a roommate. Its cheaper to rent a house or an apartment if you have a roommate or two. Studios in Long Island start around $600 and one bedrooms start at $700. If you share a house rent ranges anywhere from $350 to $550 per person. Utilities are usually separate. The best way to find a roommate is to get in touch with other incoming students, either on this webboard or the nycom webboard or call up the ppl you met during your interview. You can also check the housing book at NYCOM. It contains poatings for roommates as well as apartments.
And lastly, where to live...
The best place to live by far is Glen Cove. Thats where most students live. Its cheaper than some of the other surrounding areas and is a close enough commute not to be a hassle. As far as finding cheaper neighborhoods in exchange for a longer commute, it probably won't happen. This is metropolitan New York. Its expensive no matter where you live.
Other areas near by to consider are: Oyster Bay, Sea Cliff, Roslyn, Bayville, Westbury, Glen Head, and Greenvale. There all within a 20 minute commute from NYCOM are are relatively safe neighborhoods.
Well, I hope this helps. Good Luck and enjoy the summer. The hard stuff is coming!

Some other info:

Books and equipment:
There are relatively few books that I would say are actually necessary for you to buy for your first year. For the most part, the professors hand outs are more than adequate. My advice to you is to save your money and just buy a few key texts:
For Anatomy- Netter's Atlas or Clemete. They are both really good. Everyone has there preferences. Netter is really easy to understand and is great for cranial nerves but alot of structures are drawn out of proportion and there is the occasional mistake. Clemete is a nice atlas too. Its the one most of the professors refer to. Its pretty accurate for the most part but the pages tend to be packed with info and are some times hard to read. Check them both out and see which one works for you. A color atlas by Yokochi is a really great investment for that last minute knowledge check before a practical. THere is no need to buy the Embryology text.
Don't bother buying any texts for Biochemistry, Physiology, Genetics, Microbiology, or OMM.
The path text by Robbins may be helpful as well as some kind of atlas for Histology. The text isn't necessary. I would definitely recommed an atlas for Neuroscince.
As with anything else, whether or not to buy the textbooks is up to you. Some people study better with the texts. But as I said, for the most part the lecture notes are all you really need. Also, you don't have to buy all the texts for the year up front. They will always be available at the school bookstore. For now, just get what you need for your first few classes, most likely Anayomy, Biochemistry, OMM and Physiology. Be sure to check out internet bookstores like half.com, ecampus.com, textbooks.com, etc. They often have better prices than the bookstore and around back to school time offer free shipping.
As far as equipment...
You don't have to buy a disecting kit. There are plenty of desecting tools donated by previous years students available in teh lab. Worse comes to worse, you and you lab group can chip in to buy as many kits as you need later on. Lab clothes are a good idea. It gets pretty nasty up in the ol anatomy lab. Old clothes that you won't mind throwung out later should suffice. Lab coats are useful for an extra barrier. Wait before you buy one though. This years class donated a whole bunch. The anatomy faculty should have them washed and ready for you and there may be one in your size. The first years also donated disectors and atlases so you may not need to buy one for lab.
Microscopes...
There are two companies who will rent them to NYCOM students. One rents an Olympus scope and the other rents out accuscope (usually for less money) for two years. You can wait to rent one until orientation. The companies sent up tables out in the parking lot during orientation and have plenty of scopes available.
You won't need to buy family practice equipment until March of your fist year. Wait to talk to second years to find out what is really necessary to buy.

Most of all, don't feel pressured to buy anything. You'll get alot of stuff thrown at you in the orientation kit and during the first week of school. Wait to see what you really need. It may seem like you need to run out and get everything up front and be ultra prepared. Its not necessary. Giving in to the pressure will only lead to you spending a couple hundred dollars more than you really need to.

As far as computers go, you don't really need to go out and buy one if you don't already own one. There are plenty of computers in the library to check email and download lecture notes. However, you get most of the lecture notes in printed form so theoretically you only really need a computer to check email. If you like the convience of checking it at home than by all means buy a computer. Otherwise, save the thousand dollars and check your email at school.

Outside of school...
You'll need a bank:
Free checking is offered at:
CSF- located in Pathmark at the Wheatley Plaza (corner of Northern Blvd. and Glen Cove Rd.) Its open most days till 7pm and will make the funds of the all important living expense checks available on the day of deposit.
Other places that offer free checking are Astoria Federal Savings (114 Northern Blvd.--516 621-0400) and Bank of NY (57 Northern Blvd. Greenvale)

Health Clubs: most NYCOM students go to Island Fittness on Cedar Swamp Road. They offer a student special- This year it was $375 for 10 months. (516) 759-1700

Hope this helps. If there is anthing else you'd like to know, just ask. You'll get a respnse sooner or later.

:cool: Congratulations Guys!! You made it. I want to welcome you to NYCOM and hope to see you in the fall. As a current first year student, I just want to tell you guys to be prepared for a long year of hell. I'll be honest with you, there are many times when you will want to turn back, but you have to look at the future. Without hard work and sweat, there is no gain (and no D.O. degree) NYCOM is a great school, as long as you have a positive attitude, you will make a sad medical student life into a happy one. If you have any questions about NYCOM or anything else, feel free to email me at: [email protected]

Once again - congrats and have a great summer (and I mean that literally)
:D

Hey guys, I'll be coming to NYCOM this fall and wanted to say hi to all of my future classmates. If anybody's gonna be looking for housing and needs a roommate or just wants to hang out before the school-start let me know. Here's my e-mail: [email protected]
Ciao,
Eugene
P.S.It's gonna be a fun year :cool:

What's up all? I am starting at NYCOM in the fall and would like to meet some of my future classmates. E-mail me at [email protected]. I am also looking for housing/roommates. As zhenka stated we should get together and "hang out before the school-starts".

Jerome

Amidst all these welcoming posts, I would seriously recommend that you all get your feet wet and start studying a LITTLE right now. Now I am not saying that you shouldn't go out partying this summer...Yes, enjoy the summer and party a lot in summer because thats the last best summer you are going to get but I would suggest studying. When you first start NYCOM you will have absolutely no idea of what to expect. You will need time to worry about how to deal with your med school transition and stress. Thats why I say start studying now, so that you can save some time to worry. I would highly recommend getting the Board Review Series book for Anatomy and memorise every single thing in there. Trust me...the questions on the exam will test you on tiny little details on where the muscles originate and insert and where each nerve is. Anatomy is something that will really give you trouble if you don't spend time with it. And with Biochem and Physiology going on at the same time your time will be limited. So, spend a few hours everyday looking at anatomy atlases and trying to familiarise yourself with all the muscles and nerves....its straight memorization.....and it will save your life !!!

About buying books, don't buy any books right now. When you start NYCOM ask the second years about which books are actually uselful to pass the exams. Don't go the bookstore and blindly buy all the books on the first day.

About the microscope, don't buy one now. I know you will see plenty of flyers on campus of students trying to sell their microscope...don't buy any of them. Wait till you start school....When you start school two companies will come to rent you microscopes for a much cheaper price than what these flyers will tell you. Plus you get warranty also with them. If you buy one and if it breaks you won't be able to find the student you bought it from in future!!!!
One of the first year students posted a message on the NYCOM webboard about her microscope which keeps breaking....She bought it from a student before classes started and now she wants to rent one because she is sick of getting it repaired! So , don't buy a microscope now.

About a computer, I would recommend getting one IF you have the money. The computers at school are being controlled --they are under high supervision now. They are limiting the papers you can print in school. Everytime I try to print more than two pages it tells me "print job cancelled..you have exceeded the print limit"!!! In other words, you are not allowed to print out anything in there. Also, everything you do on the computers at school is monitored because of their new system which requires you to type in your name and password everytime you use the computer! This is a total violation of your privacy and comfort. Yes, you get most of the handouts in paper in class but there are many powerpoint slide presentations on the academic webboard which they don't handout in class...you will need a computer for this. Also, there are a zillion pathology slides which you need to study from ---all on the computer....you really need to have comfortbale access to a computer of your own.

Somebody mentioned about extracurricular activities....there are no extracurricular activities at all NYCOM .....well actually they are only beginning to work on it right now.... the Semi formal which just happened. Its nice to see our social event chairs actually do something these days.....today they are holding a barbeque at some bar ...I will go check it out...But mostly, NYCOM does not have any activities. Also, the clubs such as Pediatrics club, etc ( except ER club)....are very silent clubs....We hardly hear them do anything!!! For instance when was the last time the Peds or family practice or any of the clubs actually did an event where there was an involvement of several people ??? They keep holding meetings and people go to them just because we get free food at those meetings. Only the ER club organizes the interesting workshops where the whole class gathers and practises drawing blood, suturing etc....That seems to be the only active club on campus to me. Otherwise it is a very quiet school where everybody keeps studying all the time. So, if you are coming to NYCOM, expect to live an extremely quiet inactive student life here. Anyway, as second year approaching, I don't think I will have any time to go anywhere either.

About that Island fitness club...does anybody from our class actually go there?? I have been there a couple of times and never found anybody from NYCOM there!!!

However, don't get me wrong, NYCOM has excellent hospital affiliations and the quality of education is excllent here.

Alright DepressedNYCOMStudent. Sometimes I wonder if we are even in the same class. I seem to be having a very different first year experience from you.
To all of you incoming students out there, DO NOT spend your last full summer studying. You will regret it. Take some time and spend some money relaxing and traveling. There will never been a better opportunity to do so. I know it seems like you need to save money for med school and you should, but don't be afraid to splurge a little now. You will be in a lot of debt for the next 15 years. Spending a couple hundred dollars on a nice vacation right now is not going to make much of a difference when you consider just how much you will owe the bank 4 years from now.
As far as Anatomy being strict memorization, that is simply not true. It will be the biggest waste of time to memorize origins and insertions of the bazillion muscles in the body. Innervations and actions you will need to know but there are organizing principles that you will learn to follow that will make Anatomy a heck of a lot easier. The best way to go about tackling anatomy is to get yourself a good atlas and too pay attention in lab. If you try to incorporate what you see there with the material on the written exam, Anatomy will be a lot more fun. Don't simply go to lab and memorize what things look like so that you can identify them on the practical and then go home and memorize your notes for the written and treat the lecture and lab as two separate entities. Integrate the two! When you are in lab, pay attention to relationships between structures, play around with the muscles (pull on them to see what they do), talk about some of the lecture stuff with your lab group (what things do, clinical stuff, etc.), and quiz each other. Have fun with it and Anatomy will be a breeze. Of course there is a lot of memorization to Anatomy but certainly nothing that you have to give up your summer for.
As far as extracurricular activities go, there are plenty. While it may be nothing like what you were used to in college, there are plenty of interesting things going on. When classes keep you busy studying there is only so many extra things you can do. Much of the activities consist of lunch time meetings were food is served and a speaker is invited to come and talk. Most of the topics are interesting and relevant to our future in the profession. The E-Med club I would agree is by far the most exciting. They hold workshops on suturing, blood-drawing, splinting, and most recently invited a med-vac helicopter to come land on campus and talk to us about what they do. A local new station even came to cover the story. There are two big social events every year at NYCOM. One is the Osteoblast, a NYCOM only party at a local nightclub, which is held in the fall. In the Spring there is a Semi-formal. Both are a lot of fun. Unlike what DepressedNYCOMStudent seems to state all the time, students at NYCOM do get together and hang out. If you are friendly and make an effort to make friends you will not be lonely. After every set of block exams, there is always some place most students gravitate to, usually a bar or restaurant. There are always parties being held- they are open to anyone and invitations are always posted on the web board.
As for Island fittness, it seems like everyone and there brother goes there. I've met tons of current first years and second years there. I'd even go so far as to say I've met half my friends from NYCOM there. If you go right after school, the place is usually packed with NYCOMmers!
I really do feel sorry that it has been such a tough year for DepressedNYCOMStudent. To all of you out there, please realize that this person's experience is not necessarily one that all first years have had. Yes, first year is tough. From what I hear, second year only gets worse. There will be a lot of studying and a lot of frustration, but it does not have to be a lonely, miserable experience. You must remember to take some time out for yourself. It is just as important as memorizing fifty million spinal cord tracts. You do yourslef no good if you are too stressed out to function. Just remember: work hard, stay motivated, and take a half an hour eveyday to do something for you that has nothing to do with school or family or anyone or anything else to regroup and regenerate. And no, the half hour does not include showering and the like.
Good luck and don't worry. You will make it through. You wouldn't be attending NYCOM if you couldn't. Hundreds of others have gone before you. If they can do it, so can you.
Congratulations for making it this far. Don't forget to enjoy the journey.

One more thing,
About the computers...
I highly doubt that Dr. Kumar's intentions are to monitor your activity on the computers or to infringe upon your privacy. The reason for the passwords,etc. were to make sure that the computers in the NYCOM library were for the sole usage of NYCOM students and not abused by NYIT students. There were several complaints that non-NYCOM students were using the computers in the past. As far as paper usage, there was some abuse of printing going on. Several students would print up several copies of long powerpoint files, take one copy and leave the rest to be thrown away- a blatant waste of paper, if you ask me. Also, students would print up one slide to a paper instead of six, thereby using way more paper than was necessary. In an effort to cut down on the waste, Dr. Kumar request that the sudentbody limit their printer usage and to print responsibly. When it was apparent that that was not going to happen, he put a block on print jobs larger than 10 pages, not 2. Here's a little hint: If you have a print job that goes over 10 pages, simply print the first ten and then switch the printing range to include the next ten pages.

ditto scrubs........ NYCOM has a nice variety of issues, but none of them involve lack of student friendliness.

Alright NYCOMscrubs, lets get the facts straight about NYCOM social life.... You said...
"As far as extracurricular activities go, there are plenty. While it may be nothing like what you were used to in college, there are plenty of interesting things going on. When classes keep you busy studying there is only so many extra things you can do. Much of the activities consist of lunch time meetings were food is served and a speaker is invited to come and talk. Most of the topics are interesting and relevant to our future in the profession."

I never disagreed to this. I mentioned this in my post. Most students go there to get the free food. It isn't what Iwould call a "social event"!!!
Then you said " The E-Med club I would agree is by far the most exciting. They hold workshops on suturing, blood-drawing, splinting, and most recently invited a med-vac helicopter to come land on campus and talk to us about what they do. A local new station even came to cover the story."

Yes, I emphasized this point in my post...the ER club seems to be the only club which is so wonderfully active. Name me another club on campus that does so many active things like this!!

" There are two big social events every year at NYCOM. One is the Osteoblast, a NYCOM only party at a local nightclub, which is held in the fall. In the Spring there is a Semi-formal. Both are a lot of fun. "

Well Hello???? When was this Osteoblast...in October!!!! And the Semi formal was in April....its like having an event every ten years!!! My undergrad did a lot more than this. And yes, I went to both the events and I did mention in my post that these events exist.

Unlike what DepressedNYCOMStudent seems to state all the time, students at NYCOM do get together and hang out. If you are friendly and make an effort to make friends you will not be lonely. After every set of block exams, there is always some place most students gravitate to, usually a bar or restaurant. There are always parties being held- they are open to anyone and invitations are always posted on the web board.

Okay...now this is the part of your post that got me so angry....Except for today's barbeque, when was the last time you or somebody else posted about a party or gathering at a bar after (every) exam??? I have no idea where the class goes after every exam!!! I hang around with five other students from our class and they all go home and sleep after exams. None of them ever went to one of your so called " regular parties after EVERY exam"!!! Your last statement which states, " There are always parties being held- they are open to anyone and invitations are always posted on the web board." is totally false. Now may be you do go to parties after every exam but I never saw an invitation to the whole class inviting me and the class to these parties which take place after EVERY exam. I did see invitations to the Osteoblast, Semiformal, today's barbeque and a private part held at one of our classmate's house but that was it ! No, nobody posts invitations to parties after every exam. If there are such parties going on then please post it up there so that I can come there along with my five friends to have a good time.

Lastly , there is no such thing as blind memorization. I always try to understand things and strategies before memorizing them and all those relationships of structures in Anatomy will come from studying. The students can integrate the lab when they start school. Basically you said the same thing as I did but drew a different conclusion out of it. It always helps to start Anatomy earlier. But hey, its your choice...go and party !!

I need to get some sleep. I am tired now. I will talk to you later. I am sorry if I posted anything that might upset you or anybody. Its just late at night and I am so tired and frustrated. Basically what I am trying to say is that you used the same examples of social life that I did to prove that a social life actually exists when it doesn't. But may be if you tell me about thes regular after exam parties and how and when and where they take place then it will show me an entirely different picture of NYCOM social life about which I am completely unaware of!
Thanks.
Bye.

to "depressedNYCOMstudent":

grow up! everything ranging from your limitless sour opinion of your school, your classmates, your social life, and your tasteless SDN screen-name is boring.

please seek help so that you can contribute honest, helpful information here which you're seemingly determined to share.

good luck.

p.s. you're not the strongest student in the class, are you?

You know...just as you think you can share your views about NYCOM here, well so do I.
I also have full right to share my honest views about our school anywhere I want. Whether you disagree with them or not is your choice. However, don't criticize me without providing valid proof to to prove me wrong. For every fact I have made, I have provided true valid examples as proof to prove myself. I didn't just come up here and call you boring or wrong!!! And I am sharing MY HONEST Views. I get nothing out bragging about my school!!! If you want to criticize me, PROVE YOUR POINTS against mine!

to "depressedNYCOMstudent":

you're starting to be amusing.

(good luck studying for makeups, silly).

by the way: you haven't "proven" or provided any reference to any of your remarks presuming student dissatisfaction at nycom. the challenging program interrupts lots of recreational time which is why students study so much (not to mention the fact that they're driven med. students); stop comparing med. school to your leisurely experience at your undergrad. school. you've alluded to your withdrawals from courses while earning your undergraduate degree, so i imagine that you're not used to beating the books consistently (and with striking competition). all you've described is that you're lonely and excluded from more active circles on campus... and you struggle academically at moments.

(please continue to observe your god-given right to express your opinion about your medical institution here on the popular student-doctor network; i'm sure you've noticed that we all love your ideas here *insert sarcasm*).

what a character.

To all the NYCOM freshmen,
Don't get too carried away by [email protected]'s sweet comments about NYCOM. He is probably one of the party animals at NYCOM because he seems to have a well flourished social life at NYCOM!! The rest of us study day in and day out in our lovely study room. I know several students in our class who feel isolated and lonely like me....we have no choice except to study...Med school is a place to study and not to party. Thats why there aren't that many parties going on at NYCOM. When you get here you will have to sacrifice a lot of your time for studying,....time that you could be spending with your family and significant others. Also, my discussion with "[email protected]" should show you all that when you have problems at NYCOM nobody ( except a few understanding faculty members I have spoken to) will want to listen to you ....everybody will try to quiet you down as if NYCOM is some sort of a paradise!! I have made my own friendship circle through the gym and the study room where I spend most my day. Thats why I recommend that you start studying early because it always helps. You basically won't have much of a choice. Its just the first two years where you need to devote yourself totally to your studies. After that , you can have at least some sort of a life during rotations. I had a lot of friends in undergrad. Now that does not mean that I didn't study in undergrad!! I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a College level award from my undergrad. I have always found ways to balance my study life with my social life. However, med school was a dramatic change for me. I had to cut down on my partying to study. I study a lot now...and I am passing everything but there are evenings when I wish I could just go out for a while. Now I have a few friends at school but in my first few months at NYCOM I was desperately lonely and had nobody to go out with. Plus, besides the Osteoblast, there were no social activities at NYCOM. That got me into a sad depression. If you feel this isolation when youcome to NYCOM feel free to talk to me anytime. Do not go to people like [email protected] who will try to shut you down and ignore your emotional depression. Also, we have excellent faculty at NYCOM. They are very understanding about such emotional problems which med students go through. So feel free to approach them. So, welcome to NYCOM and if you have got the password to the NYCOM webboard, come check out the First year messages to get an idea of whats coming your way. Good Luck and get ready for a huge stormy ride.
And always keep smiling!

depressed nycom student:

first, and more important to recognize than your silly remarks: felix trinidad is truly the greatest pound-for-pound fighter in boxing today.

second: i wouldn't be surprised if your name was "tara khan." your personalities certainly resemble--which is somewhat insulting. regarding your sinister threat to hunt me down with your immense computer machinery: make yourself happy, silly. since we're on the subject of my status--which you've made relevant: i'm scoring in the top quartile of the class without exception. again, good luck studying for makeups.

"Why do they make us cram a whole lot in such a short amount of time?? I miss the ability to take and drop courses that I used to in undergrad. I always made sure that I had a comfortable schedule in undergrad..."--previously posted in one of your infamous threads which gives us some idea of your academic conduct while earning your undergraduate degree; i implore others to peruse the aforementioned thread linked below so that you can get some idea of the consistently trivial concerns that depressednycomstudent exaggerates:
http://www.studentdoctor.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003520

"Man if I ever see you in class I will smash you in your face!!! ( You won't get past me...I have a black belt! So be ware!);."--representation of depressednycomstudent's obvious rageful tendencies.

by the way, i can't help but laugh at how bitter and spiteful you've turned. please consider "anger management" classes to supplement whatever mental therapy/psycotropic medication that you need to remedy your depression caused by your treacherous medical curriculum and loneliness.

also: "Also, each and every comment I have made about the social life at NYCOM above has been illustrated by an example in my post above. If you can't comprehend examples then you are a pathetic ***** and deserve to be seen by me! Please come talk to me first thing on Monday morning. Let me see you speak to me face to face."--previously posted by depressednycomstudent.

that's just remarkable. if your absurd attitude here is any indication of how you present yourself on campus, it's no wonder that you're lonely and depressed. you haven't illustrated anything besides your indivually sour experience with the immensely important incidence of "social opportunities" at nycom. by the way: are "pathetic *****s" usually referred to see you? does their animosity/hostility/barbarism/anguish always relate with yours? if you wanted my attention in class, why not post your name here for heaven's sake. :p

"Med school is a place to study and not to party. Thats why there aren't that many parties going on at NYCOM. When you get here you will have to sacrifice a lot of your time for studying,....time that you could be spending with your family and significant others."--gems of wisdom from the depressednycomstudent.

let's all recognize again for the 10th time that you're the biggest proponent of the idea that there isn't enough time for extracurricular fun in medical school and you therefore meet with some dissatisfaction with having to study daily (because you're not used to it after having some academic "flexibility" at your undergraduate institution). is there really any meaningful purpose to your activity here on this messageboard? first you were depressed, and then you stated that you were no longer depressed (and regretted the creation of your screen-name, yet lack the initiative to create a more insightful screen-name); then you complain and belabor the matter about the stress of the coursework followed by your assertion that you're managing fairly well without failures; you pretend to be a social, congenial person with many friends at your undergraduate school (and alleged circle of friends at nycom) followed by blatant, embarrassing threats issued to a poster on an anonymous messageboard.

hmmm... once again: seek help! you're honestly a confused person.

You make me laugh now!!

First of all, the fact that you think I am Tara Khan is pretty *****ic. Go ask Tara toread my posts on this posts ....she will smash you in the face for even thinking that it could be her!! I swear in the name of my God that I am NOT Tara Khan!!

"first, and more important to recognize than your silly remarks: felix trinidad is truly the greatest pound-for-pound fighter in boxing today."

I never posted these remarks....I don't know what you are talking about here! Once again, I can promise my word that I never posted these remarks.

"Why do they make us cram a whole lot in such a short amount of time?? I miss the ability to take and drop courses that I used to in undergrad. I always made sure that I had a comfortable schedule in undergrad..."--previously posted in one of your infamous threads which gives us some idea of your academic conduct while earning your undergraduate degree; i implore others to peruse the aforementioned thread linked below so that you can get some idea of the consistently trivial concerns that depressednycomstudent exaggerates:"

By ALL means go read that thread...That thread was posted before our last block of exams whene I along with the several people of my class were overwhelmed with the largest amount of information we have faced for any exam ever since we started med school! Nowhere in my post did I ever ask for help on how to handle my studies!! I simply commented on why the time in med school was limited. That is absolutely no indication of any of my grades. It was just a pour out of my frustration with the never ending Pathology and the Neuroscience which was dumped on us all in one week. By the way, I managed to pass every exam I took...( even scored an 89 in Micro!! So go get a life!!)

"Man if I ever see you in class I will smash you in your face!!! ( You won't get past me...I have a black belt! So be ware!);."--representation of depressednycomstudent's obvious rageful tendencies.

Yes, I was angry at YOU. Don't think I treat everybody the same way!! I have never behaved like this with anybody in class!! However, I do not forgive people who treat me like you did.

"Med school is a place to study and not to party. Thats why there aren't that many parties going on at NYCOM. When you get here you will have to sacrifice a lot of your time for studying,....time that you could be spending with your family and significant others."--gems of wisdom from the depressednycomstudent.

"Is there really any meaningful purpose to your activity here on this messageboard? "

Yes, I love this webboard and nothing you say or do can stop me!!! I come here to chat....not to fulfill some kind of a purpose. I spend my study breaks here. This webboard is a place where I can come and relax...like its my home. And yes I do have the God-given right to post or say anything I want here.

first you were depressed, and then you stated that you were no longer depressed (and regretted the creation of your screen-name, yet lack the initiative to create a more insightful screen-name); then you complain and belabor the matter about the stress of the coursework followed by your assertion that you're managing fairly well without failures;

I swear I haven't failed anything!

you pretend to be a social, congenial person with many friends at your undergraduate school (and alleged circle of friends at nycom) followed by blatant, embarrassing threats issued to a poster on an anonymous messageboard.

Yes, I have my own circle of friends at NYCOM and they are all very sweet people unlike you. You need to learn how to speak properly to people. I was not the one who came out bluntly criticizing your post. I merely posted my views on NYCOM. However, you came out straight to criticize me and to turn people away from MY post by writing against me in your post. You are more than welcome to express YOUR views here but if you are a nice person you will not write bad against other people on this thread. You have a negative personality. Who do you think you are? What authority do you have to tell others what to do? And yes, I am a very social person . I lived in a dorm in undergrad and had tons of friends. Even now, I am admired by my NYCOM gym friends. I don't need to come to this webboard to learn about my social personality. The fact that I am anonymous here does give the advantage to speak to you in this inappropriate way. However, I really want to see you face to face. I do ask you to come see me on Monday morning...I WILL be there on the last seat of the right side of the auditorium. Don't worry I won't bite you !! Just come talk to me.

Anyway, I am not angry today. Its a beautiful day outside. So don't ruin my day. I like this webboard and yes, I am going to come here and share my views about anything. If you disagree or don't like what I write then just don't read them!!! Feel free to share your views...but do so without badmouthing me. It isn't in good taste to do so. I am sure you have a ton of other things to do than fighting with me on an anonymous webboard!!! Go get a life!!
Good Luck on the Micro retake silly!!!

By the way, if you are really dieing to know my name , my first name starts with an "S".
Good luck...and oh yeah...if you need any help for micro feel free to email me anytime...my email address is listed in my profile. I will also help you catch up on the neuros after that...Good Luck!

:p

*yawn*

(please take advantage of the opportunity to express your opinions on a thread made exclusively for you by 'nycomscrubs').

Hello people! I am back to my favorite webboard. Its nice to know that my opponents have created a special forum just for me!!! I didn't know that they are so intolerant of the other side of the coin!! I merely stated ONLY my views. Don't base your perceptions about NYCOM only on my views. I am here to sway noone. Hear both sides of the coin and come check out NYCOM for yourself. Well, it has been a great day for me. I hope everybody had a good time today. There are a few apartments available near school....I am not moving but I know a few friends in class who are moving out of their apartments. If anybody needs a place to live or a roommate, email me. I will give you details on who to contact. Also, if you want to start studying earlier and need advice on what you could study now feel free to ask me any questions. Good Luck and Welcome to NYCOM.

Originally posted by [email protected]:
[QB] :p

*yawn*

Heee Heee ....I didn't know that I had such a great impact on you!! Sleep tight my baby!!
biggrin.gif

(please take advantage of the opportunity to express your opinions on a thread made exclusively for you by 'nycomscrubs'

Geee....thanks to NYCOM scrubs...he makes most of the threads exclusively for me!! I didn't know I am so loved.. Geee....Thanks!

PS:
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif