NYCOM cost of living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dradams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating applying this year to NYCOM but am concerned about the cost of living on Long Island. I am married and have a one year old child right now. Can someone who goes there give me some freedback?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

nycom is placed perfectly in "americas top 50 most expensive towns to live in"..

going up the driveway to nycom you will pass by 5-10 million dollar homes ( no not kidding )

most people live 15 mins away from school, if you are lookin at a 2 bedroom apt, look to shell out AT LEAST 1200.

food is expensive, gas is expensive, everything is expensive..
but most people make out ok..

I lived in glen cove my first two years, a sleepy town 10 minutes from nycom on the north shore, where probably 2/3 of first year students live, and paid $400 a month first year as part of a 3 bedroom, $490 second year as part of another 3 bedroom, and $570 third year closer to the city. Affordable housing is available, but definitely not the rule. Most of the houses and apartments where nycom students live have had nycomers living in them for years and just "hand down" the apartment to underclassmen through the webboard. Overall though, living around here is definitely an expense...

Thanks for the info. Are there any married students who manage to survive there?