NYCOM-Emigre Physician Program: Class of 2014 or 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orange11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I applied to NYCOM through the Emigre Physician Program stream for admission this Fall 2011 and would like to get some tips and feedback on the entrance exam that must be taken from 1st or 2nd years students that got in through the EPP ?

The Study Guide (link below) is not very specific in terms of the actual Breakdown of the exam (ie. Number of questions from each one of the 3 sections indicated) and what does it actual mean by Part C: Clinical Cases? (Are these Clinical Cases at the USMLE Step 1 Level or USMLE Step 2 Level?)

http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Emigre_Physician_Entrance_Examination_Content_Summary.pdf

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

There are maybe max 5-8 clinical cases on the exam. The exam is a watered down version of Step 1. If you know every topic on that list you will ACE the exam. What I did last year was just type out the answers to pretty much every question in that list which took me MONTHS to do and then just learned that and I think I got like 90 percent of rhe questions correct..Please know however that the program is extremely competitive. There is not one student in our class that isnt ECFMG certified and half the class even has Step 3 done..Many of us have had interviews year after year but have just been unsuccessful. The program is MUCh tougher than anticipated especially the anatomy part and this is coming from a first time passer on the USMLE's. They go WAY beyond the scope of USMLE's so definitely know what you are getting into before you go in..Just stick to the topic list and you will be good and as far as clinical cases there are virtually none..If you know the first few chapters of the Lippincott Biochemistry book you will be in very good shape and this is most of the intro course as well..good luck..

Thank you for your reply. Do they ask intermediates and step limiting enzimes of biochemical pathways? Neuroanatomy?
Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad :)
The anatomy questions were all gross anatomy questions. The biochem was basic stuff not too much pathways mainly amino acids and molecular bio. To be even considered you need over 70 percent on the test but pretty much all get chosen to take the exam. I think if you know all those questions on the list you will score over 90 percent. If you are born in the US u will need a much higher score than if you are an international. If you have passed usmle it will be a walk in the park but during the year its much harder than the level of usmle step 1. Now I know why american grads score so high with only studying 4 weeks for step 1.

it seems like they have not send out any acceptance or rejection as of march 5. wonder if it was the same like this last year or this year is slower?

hey masterusmle..i have an exam on the 5th of april for the D.O. at nycom emigre physican exam and is there anyway you can help me withe the questions on the study guide , i would really appreciate it..please email me at [email protected].. time is really running out and i could use all the help i can get. thank you in advance again !
take care!

HI Masterusmle, I'm also in the same boat as saraa786 and would really appreciate any help for this test next week. If you can, pls. reach me at [email protected]. Thanks a lot!

Hi, do you know what the summer program is about? Are they taking more tests?

Hi, do you know what the summer program is about? Are they taking more tests?

I didn't participate in the summer program, but what I've heard there are a lot of lectures and also the OMM practice. You will have to take several exams in the end based only on material what they gave you. After these exams they will tell you if you are accepted. So make sure to get more than 70%

Is anybody interested in a partner for the 2012 exam for the EPP (hopefully class of 2016)?

Is anybody interested in a partner for the 2012 exam for the EPP (hopefully class of 2016)?
Hey toocomplicate?, how do u plan on preparing for this exam? I am trying to go thru the study guide. Send me your email, if you are still looking out for a study partner. Thx!

Anyone who gets accepted goes to the summer program and the summer program is for YOU. It doesnt matter how you perform you are already in. The weed out for the exam is 70% and the exam is not that difficult, its pretty much straight from the topic list. Many have asked me if I have any insight to the exam via PM and no, I do not. There are some people who scored exorbitantly high on the USMLE and are in the program, and a few who havent even taken the USMLE. There are 2 out of 20 that have done residency training in the united states, one guy did one year of surgery, and another did one year of psych and wanted to switch out so HOW they make the selection Im not sure. They seem to fair towards Russians since the program was designed for them but there are many different races represented. Even though the site says they accept 35, they will only accept 20-21 as they have the last two years because too many Emigre students have been failing out in previous years. If you did well on the USMLE, it does NOT matter, the curriculum here is WAY different and NOT geared toward USMLE at all. Many students who graduated medical school and did well on USMLE came in thinking it will be cake, this is NOT the case, trust me..Anatomy is insane, OMM is easy, and exams from August-January are very tough with anatomy exams and written exams every 2 weeks and every 6 weeks you have trifectas which are ALL DAY exams of 2 hours written, one hour anatomy and one hour OMM. I will not lie, studying for USMLE was more fun that this place because at least USMLE was applicable, here you have no idea where their information is coming from many times. Oh well, Im happy and its a means to an end. I would study VERY hard for the entrance exam because it seems thats where most of the acceptance lies and no in advance, sorry I do not have any further information on the entrance exam. If you have any questions about the program itself, im happy to help, but everyone is in the same boat on the entrance exam..My advice, first few chapters of lippincott, and First Aid the big book, not the USMLE book, the one where it is General and Systems, two books like 500 pages each..good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
GM,
I m planning to take the entrance test next year. I m interested. Send me ur email.

To toocomplicate : I m planning to take the entrance test next year. I m interested. Send me ur email.

Need help to prepare for the entrance exam at NYCOM. I m an IMG.

hi all, i am also planning for 2013 exam. yet to apply. how are you all preparing? would love to have partner before exam . send me pm we can share application process. i am evaluating degrees. i am img.

i am also applying for 2013. let me know if interested as a study partner.

hi all, i am also planning for 2013 exam. yet to apply. how are you all preparing? would love to have partner before exam . send me pm we can share application process. i am evaluating degrees. i am img.
I am intersted in having a study partner.please email me.

I am intersted in having a study partner.please email me.
I am applying for 2013 exams, please email me, I am ecfmg certified, came to know about this program 2 days ago, have my application completed today and requesting for docs verification, I need some help with study and exam preparation, please contact me at: [email protected]

There are maybe max 5-8 clinical cases on the exam. The exam is a watered down version of Step 1. If you know every topic on that list you will ACE the exam. What I did last year was just type out the answers to pretty much every question in that list which took me MONTHS to do and then just learned that and I think I got like 90 percent of rhe questions correct..Please know however that the program is extremely competitive. There is not one student in our class that isnt ECFMG certified and half the class even has Step 3 done..Many of us have had interviews year after year but have just been unsuccessful. The program is MUCh tougher than anticipated especially the anatomy part and this is coming from a first time passer on the USMLE's. They go WAY beyond the scope of USMLE's so definitely know what you are getting into before you go in..Just stick to the topic list and you will be good and as far as clinical cases there are virtually none..If you know the first few chapters of the Lippincott Biochemistry book you will be in very good shape and this is most of the intro course as well..good luck..

I am sitting for EPP exam this spring,Please guide me the depth NYIT exam questions for Ob/Gyn.Surgy.Int Med & peads Is it USMLE World level ? QBook?
Thanks........please send me any additional info at [email protected]
I do need study partner as well .Thanks

Do NOT stress those topics at all. You will see none. The exam is a VERY basic exam. Learn your basics from first aid and use lippincott first few chapters and kaplan biochem. Thats what I used. The topic list although exhausting, was pretty comprehensive as to what they test. The exam was not tough, but the competition has become stiff since my day when I took it. There are people who dont have step 1,2,3 but they are the minority for sure. Let me also explain that the level of education makes USMLE prep look like a joke and every year 2 or 3 EPP students dont make it through. Make sure you are ready for an INTENSE experience. Stick to the basics and youll do fine on the entrance exam dont waste your time on the clinical stuff.

Hey guys,

I'm also preparing for the exam for this year (2013). I'm a little confused on the material that is required for the exam. Some people say it's a watered down Step 1 and others say it's extremely competitive. I guess it's all relative. So I would like to find a study partner sp we can guide each other on how to approach this. Hope I'd hear from anyone on this thread!

Last edited:
Do NOT stress those topics at all. You will see none. The exam is a VERY basic exam. Learn your basics from first aid and use lippincott first few chapters and kaplan biochem. Thats what I used. The topic list although exhausting, was pretty comprehensive as to what they test. The exam was not tough, but the competition has become stiff since my day when I took it. There are people who dont have step 1,2,3 but they are the minority for sure. Let me also explain that the level of education makes USMLE prep look like a joke and every year 2 or 3 EPP students dont make it through. Make sure you are ready for an INTENSE experience. Stick to the basics and youll do fine on the entrance exam dont waste your time on the clinical stuff.

Hey josephmedman,

I just had a question.. which lippincott book are you referring to? I'm preparing for the 2013 entrance exam and i'm kind of running out of time and starting to freak out. Also should I use the step 1 kaplan books? Thanks in advance

Kaplan step 1 books will help but the first few chapters out of lippincott biochem will REALLY help a lot.

Received the test date and interview for EPP, have not much time ,
Masterusmle, could you please also email me the typed answers to the study guide, that you made for the EPP exam. I know you put in a lot of work and I wont mind paying for it. My E mail: [email protected] or call/txt-347-982-4185
I would appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Anyone who gets accepted goes to the summer program and the summer program is for YOU. It doesnt matter how you perform you are already in. The weed out for the exam is 70% and the exam is not that difficult, its pretty much straight from the topic list. Many have asked me if I have any insight to the exam via PM and no, I do not. There are some people who scored exorbitantly high on the USMLE and are in the program, and a few who havent even taken the USMLE. There are 2 out of 20 that have done residency training in the united states, one guy did one year of surgery, and another did one year of psych and wanted to switch out so HOW they make the selection Im not sure. They seem to fair towards Russians since the program was designed for them but there are many different races represented. Even though the site says they accept 35, they will only accept 20-21 as they have the last two years because too many Emigre students have been failing out in previous years. If you did well on the USMLE, it does NOT matter, the curriculum here is WAY different and NOT geared toward USMLE at all. Many students who graduated medical school and did well on USMLE came in thinking it will be cake, this is NOT the case, trust me..Anatomy is insane, OMM is easy, and exams from August-January are very tough with anatomy exams and written exams every 2 weeks and every 6 weeks you have trifectas which are ALL DAY exams of 2 hours written, one hour anatomy and one hour OMM. I will not lie, studying for USMLE was more fun that this place because at least USMLE was applicable, here you have no idea where their information is coming from many times. Oh well, Im happy and its a means to an end. I would study VERY hard for the entrance exam because it seems thats where most of the acceptance lies and no in advance, sorry I do not have any further information on the entrance exam. If you have any questions about the program itself, im happy to help, but everyone is in the same boat on the entrance exam..My advice, first few chapters of lippincott, and First Aid the big book, not the USMLE book, the one where it is General and Systems, two books like 500 pages each..good luck

Please email me typed answers [email protected] greatly appreciate you help:luck::bow::bow:
Please reach out I will help others to come as well ...Thanks xxx

Hello,
I applied to NYCOM through the Emigre Physician Program stream for admission this Fall 2011 and would like to get some tips and feedback on the entrance exam that must be taken from 1st or 2nd years students that got in through the EPP ?

The Study Guide (link below) is not very specific in terms of the actual Breakdown of the exam (ie. Number of questions from each one of the 3 sections indicated) and what does it actual mean by Part C: Clinical Cases? (Are these Clinical Cases at the USMLE Step 1 Level or USMLE Step 2 Level?)

http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Emigre_Physician_Entrance_Examination_Content_Summary.pdf

Thanks in advance

Hello,

Just wondering if you made it into Nycom, as I have the same question as you regarding the entrance exam.

Hey guys,

I'm also preparing for the exam for this year (2013). I'm a little confused on the material that is required for the exam. Some people say it's a watered down Step 1 and others say it's extremely competitive. I guess it's all relative. So I would like to find a study partner sp we can guide each other on how to approach this. My email address is [email protected]. Hope I'd hear from anyone on this thread!

Hi,

Just wondering if you are still looking for a study partner. I am taking my exam in less than 2weeks, and I am looking for help as well.

anyone willing to share accommodation for the exam and interview date from march 17th onwards?
Also masterusmle could you please email me the typed answer also at [email protected]

Thank you

eyelomo,

are you wanting a study partner?

eyelomo,

are you wanting a study partner?

Yes I am. It would be nice to brush things over quickly with a study partner, as the test date is so near. I will email you, so we can talk more if you are interested. Regarding the accommodation, I currently reside in NY, like 1hr away from the school, so I will just drive down.

Hi Masterusmle,
Hello Everyone,
Could you please help me getting ready for EPP Entrance Exam as my examination is next week and they notify me all of a sudden so I am running out of time. I really need ur help even if I pay.
Thanks a lot
my Email: [email protected]

Did you get any information on the test? I'm also scheduled for next week.

Beware of high dismissal rate.

hello guys
any one involved in the EPP program received any kind of response? :confused:

Received this via email on April 22nd.

Dear EPP Program Applicant,

We would like to inform you that the Admissions Committee is currently reviewing all the applications to the EPP program and will be finalizing their decisions shortly. You will be sent a written notification regarding your application status.

You may have previously heard that the EPP summer program started in the month of May. This will not be the case for this year's entering class. The program for all accepted EPP students will be scheduled to start as of July 15, 2013. Please do not call us regarding your status information since we do not have this information at this time.

If NYCOM is not an option, AND YOU SPEAK FLUENT SPANISH AND ENGLISH, ARE OF HISPANIC ORIGIN, (see link below for more eligibility) consider this program at UCLA -- it may be more worth your time and resources to be quite honest:

http://fm.mednet.ucla.edu/IMG/application/eligibility.asp

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Sto...ornia-doctors-primary-care-latin-america.aspx

GOOD LUCK! Don't give up! :)

Thanks for posting this, I wished I had known about it earlier.

Did somebody get interview invitation for entering class 2014 NYCOM EPP?

Did somebody get interview invitation for entering class 2014 NYCOM EPP?

Hi i didnt get interview yet , did any one hear anything from EPP for 2014 program and this year are they given entrance exam or just the interview and when did you applied .
thanks

Hi i didnt get interview yet , did any one hear anything from EPP for 2014 program and this year are they given entrance exam or just the interview and when did you applied .
thanks

They don't have entrance exam for EPP 2014 , just interview. I applied in August and still nothing.
What is your email? I have some info.
Hi, I also applied for the EPP at NYCOM. Kindly share the info with me . My email is [email protected]. I appreciate it.

Last edited: