NYCOM Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOnut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any NYCOM students can tell me exactly how loan refunds are distributed throughout the year to pay for rent, utilites, etc.... I received the sample budget NYCOM sent me, and it only allows $7000/year for rent. That's $583/month. Now, you all know as well as I do that you can't find a roach box for that price in Nassau county. Can someone please help? Please tell me that it's not as bad as I think.

Members don't see this ad.

Just keeping this up top. Hope someone replies.

Hello, DOnut:

As a medical student, you're entitled to borrow $8,500 subsidized Stafford + $30,000 unsubsidized Stafford loans for a total of $38,500 per year. In addition, you may be eligible for private loans, if you wish, which will increase your total loan amount and you'd have more money available to spend. You do not need to arrange your loan amounts to conform to the sample budget that you've been given.

The Financial Aid office will calculate your total loans amount for which you've been approved (e.g., $40,000) and subtract the cost of tuition and fees from that figure (e.g., $40,000 - $27,000 = $13,000). The $13,000 that you'd have left over will be divided into several monthly payments beginning in August of your 1st year. The checks normally arrive around the end of the 1st week of each month until all payments have been disbursed to you.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help. I have one more question. How do you pay for your apartment over the summer? Does everyone get jobs, or do you just have to budget and really stick to it. It still seems kind of tight the way I'm crunching the numbers.

Thanks for the help. I have one more question. How do you pay for your apartment over the summer? Does everyone get jobs, or do you just have to budget and really stick to it. It still seems kind of tight the way I'm crunching the numbers.

Do we actually get summers off @ NYCOM? I'm very shady on the vacations we get if anyone knows please let me know

Do we actually get summers off @ NYCOM? I'm very shady on the vacations we get if anyone knows please let me know

First.... this thread is 6 years old. But to answer your question, you get the summer after first year off. After that you don't get summers. We take boards in june, and start 3rd year july 1.