1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

NYCOM Interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by rowerman, Feb 2, 2000.

1. rowerman

rowerman Member
    10+ Year Member

Anyone know what the interview at NYCOM is like? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lee427

lee427 Junior Member

4. nontradstudent

10+ Year Member

I interview there early in January. At the begining of the day, they give us a package of information about NYCOM and a secondary application. Be prepared to answer why you want to go to NYCOM. After that we had the interview. I had a very nice interviewer and my interview was more like a conversation. After the interview, there's a tour then lunch. If you want more details, email me.

5. Poet

Poet Member
    10+ Year Member

NONTRAD ARE YOU GOING TO NYCOM?? EMAIL ME!!!! I DIDN'T KNOW YOU INTERVIEWED THERE KEEP ME POSTED!! SHEESH!!CONGRATULATIONS!

[email protected]

6. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Nontradstudent, I interviewed at NYCOM on January 5th. Were you at that interview with me? It's been 4 weeks and a day, and I haven't heard anything! Have you? I'm a little worried!

Jessica

7. Hello, NYCOM hopefuls. I thought I'd join the club. I interviewed at NYCOM on January 4th, and received the acceptance letter on January 21st. E-mail me if anyone would like to chat about the school sometime.

8. nontradstudent

10+ Year Member

Jessica and Poet,

I interviewed at NYCOM on Jan 5th too, but haven't heard from them.....The other member (Vegeta)interviewed on Jan 4th and already got accepted so don't know what to say :)

Poet,

I think you forgot that I interviewed at NYCOM because you emailed me couple times to give me information about NYCOM interview before my interview :)

9. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats to all of you holding NYCOM acceptances and who are interviewing there. Everyone I know loves it there. It's the greatest of the bunch.

Tim of New York City.

10. Paul's Boutique

10+ Year Member

Now, Now TONYC.... you -may- be stretching it a -little- far with that "greatest of the bunch" stuff! [​IMG]

------------------
    -PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

11. Tim, do your friends really love it at NYCOM? You aren't being paid to publicize that school, are you?

12. Susan

Susan Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey everyone!
    I was there on Jan 5th too. Not being very good at waiting I called NYCOM today and found out that my letter was sent on Monday (still haven't gotten it) but the woman was kind enough to tell me that I've been ACCEPTED!!!!
    Good luck to to you all you should be hearing soon. Hello to nontradional and Jessica.

13. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Congratulations, Susan! Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out. I hear that it will be coming by certified mail. Well, now you can stay in NYC [​IMG]

Congrats Again,
    Jessica

14. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Vegata, yes, they do love it at NYCOM.

And, no, I'm not paid to endorse the school. [​IMG]

Tim of New York City.

15. JB

JB Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi NonTradStudent, Susan, Jessica,

I interviewed on Jan 5 also and haven't heard a thing. I'll make sure to call tomorrow and see if a decision was made. Thanks for the info Susan.

16. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, everyone. I just called NYCOM a few minutes ago, and I was told that I have "good news," and my certified letter was sent out on Monday, January 31st! I hope I'm not jumping the gun with this one; but I'm so excited!

17. JB

JB Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I called NYCOM at 9:00 this morning and found out that I'm in. Pretty exciting.

18. JB

JB Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I called NYCOM at 9:00 this morning and found out that I'm in. Pretty exciting.

19. MP

MP New Member

For all of you that have been accepted can you please tell me your GPA/MCAT scores, what schools you attended & what you think clinched your acceptance. I would really, really appreciate it. NYCOM is my 1st. choice.
    thanks

20. nontradstudent

10+ Year Member

I called NYCOM too this morning. They told me that no decision has been made on my application. I guess I get no good news then :-(

21. darly

darly Member
    10+ Year Member

nontradstudent,

Cheer up! Remember what I told you earlier? Good things always come to those who wait. Don't forget to update me on how your interviews are going! [​IMG] I hope we get to be classmates.

22. nontradstudent

10+ Year Member

Thanks Darly, I'll keep you posted.

23. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, everyone. I have received my certified letter today, and I will be certainly sending in the $500 deposit to NYCOM. This is my 1st acceptance, and I'm so happy that it has finally happened! Congratulations to Susan, JB, and Poet; and NonTradStudent, hang in there.

Jessica
    NYCOM 2004

24. Poet

Poet Member
    10+ Year Member

CONGRATULATIONS JESSICA!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

25. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Poet,
    I lost your e-mail and would like to speak with you...please e-mail me...

26. Susan

Susan Member
    10+ Year Member

Congratulations to Jessica and JB! Hang in there nontraditional. I hope my certified letter comes today too. I don't think I'll really believe it until I see that.

27. tnkd

tnkd Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Susan, JB, Jessica, Nontraditional...

I also had my interview on Jan 05th... got my certified letter today [​IMG]

Now I face a "pleasant dilema"... have to choose between UMDNJ-SOM and NYCOM. Can I have your opinion please, everyone?

tnkd, NJ

PS: hang in there nontraditional... i'm sure you'll get in!!!

[This message has been edited by tnkd (edited 02-08-2000).]

28. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi tknd!
    You had been accepted to UMD before you even came to the interview, right? I think that we talked about this in the waiting room. Anyway, I too feel a little pressure with this. I have an interview at UMD on Feb 28, and I'm hoping that I get in. I'm from Toms River, and I'm thinking that going to the state school would be nicer for my pocket and I'd be close to my family. I've been away at college for 4 years - 250 miles away, and I'd like to be closer to my family. Plus, I'm familiar with the area of Stratford b/c I interned at the med school this past summer. I know that my parents have a strong desire for me to go instate.
    But lately, I've been hearing so many wonderful things about NYCOM. And since I've been already accepted, I'm getting a little attached to it also. I know that it's a hard program - but it's one of the best. The area is wonderful. If I got to NYCOM, I could do the last 2 years at St. Barnabas in Livingston which is where I used to live. That really attracts me to be able to work close to where I'd like to practice.
    But, also, by going to UMD, I'd save about $10,000 a year. BTW, do you know the exact numbers for UMD per year? I think that NYCOM tuition is about $26,000 for the 1st year.
    I guess I probably did not make your decision any easier. I bet I even made you more confused, but I'm feeling a little pressure too! Good luck with the decision!

~Jessica

Congratulations to all the NYCOM future osteopaths -- as of now, I'm going there !!

29. tnkd

tnkd Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Jessica,

Congratulations!!! Now you too have to choose... hmm... if I remember correctly, you had already got accepted to an osteo. school in Florida before you came to NYCOM's interview. UMD interviews very few students, so if you got an interview, you're in. (The Dean of admission joked that the interview was to make sure that none of UMD's future students are crazy). NYCOM is definitely among my top choices. I was so impressed with their new building. However, I guess I will attend UMD because:

1. State school --> less expensive tuition ($14,500/yr)
    2. cheaper to live in NJ
    3. Small class size (75)
    4. High passing rate on the COMLEX(s) (100% last year)
    5. More dual programs: DO/MS, DO/MPH, DO/PhD, DO/JD
    6. Problem-based learning program

Good luck with whatever school you choose to attend, Jessica. I look forward to seeing you at UMD though [​IMG]

tnkd

30. Robb1818

Robb1818 Member
    10+ Year Member

Congrats Jessica and tnkd!!

I too am facing the same "pleasant dilemma". I've been accepted at UMD and MSUCOM. I'm definately leaning towards one but any input would be appreciated.

------------------
    Carpe Diem

31. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Rob,
    Well, I really don't know much about MSU, but I do know a bit about UMD. As tknd said, the tuition difference is significant if you are in state. But to be honest, I'm a little worried about the clinical experience. Granted - the 1st 2 years are pretty much equal at all places. UMD I know has a notary system where each student is in charge of a lecture - there's a schedule. So that's a plus. But the last 2 years are spent at Kennedy Health System; and I've heard that sometimes the students don't get to see a lot of cases and don't even get to work "hands on." That really worries me because you know, I want to get into the internship and know what I'm doing. I'll cross that bridge when (if) I get there. But all in all, I like the atmosphere at UMD. Stratford is not the prettiest town, but the surrounding areas of Voorhees and Cherry Hill are very nice areas - good housing that is safe (a big concern of mine). And you are also only 15 minutes from Philly which makes for a good thing to do when (if) we have a break.
    Well, I hope that helped. Congratulations, Rob...

~Jessie

32. RDO

RDO Member
    10+ Year Member

Is that true about the clinical options at UMD? They were a little mysterious about 3rd and 4th years when I visited. How can they not guarantee hands-on training in the clinical years?? What are you doing in the hospital then?

Also, everyone talks about the "great reputation" of UMD (on this forum and on interviewfeedback.com). Is it the osteo school that has this reputation, the 2 allos, or all 3? It seems to me to be a good question since the osteo school doesn't seem to share much with the other two by way of affiliations.

33. euhsa

euhsa Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

As a first year student at NYCOM, I want to congratulate you all on your acceptance. If there is any way that I could be of assistance, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

By the way, Turtleboard is a student at SUNY- Downstate, and as you can see, he too knows how great our school is. [​IMG] Thanks Turtleboard. (I had fun in our NJ vs NY showdown.)

Jessica and tnkd- I too am a NJ resident and think that you cannot go wrong with either schools. Quite honestly, Dean Schiowitz is now pushing to get more DO's in the state of NY. As a result, the class size is increasing every year. Our class is currently the biggest class ever, and your class is expected to be even bigger. Needless to say, the pro's far outweigh the cons.

34. Karenna

Karenna Member
    10+ Year Member

I too was interviewed at NYCOM on Jan. 5th. I found out that I was accepted a few weeks ago. So I guess I'll see you all in August. If anyone wants to get in touch with me, feel free. My email is [email protected]