NYCOM Organizations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karenna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been flipping through the orientation packet NYCOM sent out and I noticed that there were a few organizations advertising themselves, namely the Undergraduate American Academy of Osteopathy, the Student Osteopathic Medical Association, and the American Medical Student Assocaition. They all boast a number of benefits like mock practicals and free registration to national conferences. My question is, which ones are worth it to join? And will we ever really have enough time to make it to those conferences? any input would be apprecaited.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's worth joining the UAAO and AMSA for the mock practicals. It helps at the beginning to get an idea of what to expect when first taking these courses. Also, if they do as before, when you join AMSA for $60, you get a voucher for Netter's, which costs $65 in the bookstore. So, you really can't go wrong there.

I was wondering about the same thing last night. Thanks for asking the question Karenna. By the way are you planing to take to CPR class before the schools starts, which one do you think is worth taking. Which one is offered near the NYCOM campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that I'm going to wait for school to start before taking the CPR. One reason being that the school is going to provide the course for us on weekend days in September. It'll probably be on the NYCOM campus so there is no need to go searching around for course locations. Another reason is that I think its a good opportunity to meet other first year students. Instead of taking the couse with random heathcare providers, we'll be taking it with the people we'll be spending the bulk of the next two years with. And the best reason of all, who wants to spend one of our last few weekends of freedom taking a class for medical school. I think its better to just relax and enjoy these next few weeks. We'll have plenty of time to worry about studying soon enough.

I think the couse NYCOM offers is the Complient one. I think its the better choice b/c its valid for 2 years. I don't think there is much of a difference between it and the Red Cross one. Why go through the course again next year?

Karenna,

You're absolutly correct about taking the CPR course at NYCOM. It is a very easy course plus you will get to know your classmates a little better.

Just as a FYI, your CPR certification does not really have an expiration date. It has a SUGGESTED renewal date. Therefore you should get the certification renewed whenever you feel you need a reminder of the CPR procedures for adults and children. However, it is unlikely that you will renew your Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) training, because in your second year you will have the opportunity to take Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) as an elective. When you have an ACLS certification, it is assumed that you have your BCLS certification renewed as well. So, don't worry about your BCLS training expiring.