NYCOM people!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DKCDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just running a dual poll on current/past NYCOMers

1. where did you guys live during 1st 2 yrs?

2. what percentage of your student body actually went to all the morning classes? (8:30 ones!)

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a first year at NYCOM.

I live with my parents, about an hour away now, but next year I am looking into an appartment. The commute has gotten to be too much, and can vary from 45 mins with no traffic to 2 hours when it's bad. I'm looking in the sea cliff area.

on a given day, i'd say about 2/3 went to 8:30's. It varied with the class and the professor though. I think I went to about 85%. Don't forget, a lot of the lectures are streamed to the NYCOM website, and you can watch them from home if you have a cable modem (which I strongly recommend).

cheers,

Renal

I'm a second year at NYCOM.

1) Glen Cove, about 5-10 minutes from school on the North Shore. I'd say about 2/3 of the class lives in Glen Cove or the surrounding area (Sea Cliff, Glen Head, Oyster Bay, Greenvale).

2) Last year I went to probably 75% of 8am lectures. In the spring, every thursday morning at 8am is mandatory attendance for FP. The streaming video online is very, very helpful, but we didnt have that last year, so we made it to class more. Biochem, histo, genetics, etc would be dry even if Watson and Crick themselves got up there to teach, hence that tends to play a role in first year attendance. Second year attendance usually goes up a bit because the material is all new to everyone, whereas in first year you may have seen some of the basics before. Plus, the professors are pretty good in second year and there's alot of them, some only offer 1 lecture in their sub-specialty, so its hard to get a handle on what lectures you can skip beforehand. 90% of second year classes have started at 8am and go to 5pm.

You'll figure it out pretty quickly when it comes to what classes to get to and ones that you can skip. Some learn better by hearing it once, others can just read it on their own and do fine. Dont sweat it yet, enjoy life from now till august.