NYCOM Questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by sandj9397, Feb 9, 2001.

1. sandj9397

sandj9397 Member

Hi everyone. I am a second year at podiatry school. I am not happy with the direction the profession is heading and I have this desire to become a complete physician. Podiatry can not provide that.(Despite the fact that I have a 4.0GPA with a #1 rank). Osteopathic medicine does provide that oppurtunity. I never applied to MD or DO school because I thought my grades were not competitive(Great pre-med advisor I had)I enetered podiatry because they painted a rosy picture of the professon and offered scholarship money. Anyway, I just visited NYCOM ( the school impressed me, so I set an appointment with Mr. Schaefer. I am embarrased that I never knew how great osteopathic medicine is.But I want to change that. Their emphasis on primary care and treating the complete body is goal. My College GPA is 3.45 with or w/o science and a 27 MCAT. My concerns are the lack of exposure I have to any DOs despite what I now know about the profession. I know there are strict application deadlines, but I want to leave podiatry. I have strong desire to go to NYCOM and will do my best to make that clear to Mr. Schaefer. Do I have a good chance of getting accepted into NYCOM and If so what about for this fall 2001 and my grades at podiatry school have any relevance in my application credentials. Any info would be great. Thank you guys for your time

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rosebud

rosebud Member

hey there! I am not really sure about our deadlines, but Im sure a phone call to Mr Shaeffers office can clarify any absolute deadlines. As far as the competitiveness of your application goes, you DO have a strong one, but your timing is the only issue of concern....... basically, if you are applying for this year, get the paperwork in ASAP. Good luck!!

4. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a friend who's a second-year at NYCOM who applied late January and got in about two or three weeks before the start of classes.

If you're gonna do it, do it RIGHT NOW.

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

5. rosebud

rosebud Member

just to add on to the its never too late idea- my roommate got in the DAY BEFORE classes started at NYCOM- hence, she already missed orientation and all. Another good friend of mine never got plucked off the waitlist, but they offered her a spot to the next academic year, which she took. (disclaimer on this last case- I rally dont know if they still do this). Keep your hopes up! It will happen!

[This message has been edited by rosebud (edited 02-13-2001).]

6. euhsa

euhsa Senior Member

Rosebud- Your friend is the epitome of NYCOM's practice on admissions. (If a person has good credentials and there are no spots left, they will always place that person in the following class.)

sandj9397- I wish you success!