NYCOM Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have just sent in aacomas, and my first choice school is NYCOM. I have heard that NYCOM does not send out secondaries, but that they send cards, granting interviews, where you fill out the secondaries, and intervies. I was wondering how many of these card they send out. I am eager to get an intervies, since that is were I think I will do best. If they dont send you the card (interview), do they send you a rejection letter? any info. would be much appreciated. thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there. I'm not a NYCOM student, but I was accepted there.

Yeah, there is no secondary, per se.

They make you fill out a form at the interview. The essay is the basic "Why DO, Why NYCOM".
I had mine written before I got there.

Their class is about 250 students and people have told me they accept roughly 400-450. That's about right for a class of 250.

The NYCOM interview wasn't bad.

They kept us in a room with no windows and gave us no idea who was next to go or with which interview group. More info about this if youre interested.

They did, however, give us a bunch of great stuff to read regarding NYCOM and all that. I still have it. It really left a good impression with me.

Anyway....there are plenty of NYCOMers out there.

If you ever want an opinion of someone who interviewed there but chose to go somewhere else, you can drop me a line or post...I will check back.

Good luck.

Thanks JP...since you brought it up...why did you chose to not go there? I was aslo curious about the time frame of getting that card. I sent in aacomas before june 1. They have my transcripts and mcat scores already. I wanted to know how soon I can expect that card (is that the one granting the interview?) or, is their something else before you get the interview card. Sorry if I am confusing you, but I am just trying to get some sort of a time frame here. thanks again for all of your help

Members don't see this ad :)
Socal, I don't think that is something that you can really predict. They have a long interview period. I beleive they may still be interviewing for the class of 2006, or they just completed interviewing for the class of 2006. You will just have to wait and sit tight. I was invited for an interview about 3 weeks after I submitted my application. I applied very late though. I submitted my application in mid October (the dead line), and was invited in November.

JerseyGirl is right.

It also depends on how competitive your application is. Good application, they are going to want to get you in the door as soon as possible.

I chose another school over NYCOM for several reasons. I was partial to PCOM prior to my interview at NYCOM, but I went to New York with an open mind.

First of all, I didn't like the area. Suburbs which seemed a little top pricey for me.

The facilities were ok, but I didn't like the campus. I wasn't impressed with the anatomy lab or the library and the overall look of the campus. Lecture halls and OMM lab were awesome. No recreation area (NYCOM students may argue, but come on guys...I've seen the "room" you have)

Also, I got a feeling from several NYCOM students that they weren't happy.

I was interviewing on a day when the 2nd year class was voting on whether to keep a particular exam in the current exam block or to move it. The class seemed pretty divided and they basically argued amongst eachother like a bunch of 5 year olds.

It looked like a meeting of British Parliament, without all the funny wigs. I, personally, would expect more from a group of adults.

I felt more at home at PCOM and felt very welcome by all the students. At one point, I forgot I was there for an interview...it seemed like I was already at orientation by the way the other students were treating us. They basically had the attitude "welcome to PCOM, can't wait to see you around next year, let me know if you have any questions."

NYCOM attitude was more "enjoy your summer, that's all I can say, don't come here".

Don't get me wrong. NYCOM has amazing clinical affiliations and arguably the toughest (= best ?) osteopathic curriculum going. But, in order to have this type of progam, unfortunately you would have to put up with some other things.

I have heard that 3rd & 4th year NYCOM students are VERY happy and I have never met a NYCOM grad who has had anything bad to say about the school or the position they are in now. It just seems like you need to "pay your dues" for the first 2 years at NYCOM.

All in all, its a good school. It was my second choice after PCOM. If I didn't want to stay in Philadelphia and was interested in a higher profile specialty, I may have given NYCOM more consideration, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

I just know I will be happier at PCOM and I think I will do better in school because of that.

You need to make the choice that's best for you. Go to the interview and look around for yourself.

Just be careful of the carpet in NYCOMs library.

JPH

Alas, the orange carpeting of the library has been replaced with a nice shade of blue. I know you were all losing sleep over it.

New cafeteria too opening in august. The "gym" (aka room w/ some benches and treadmills) is lacking in the NYCOM buildings, but many use NYIT's (NYCOM's mother school) facilities which has a more comprehensive fitness area, just not shown on NYCOM tours b/c it's a 2-3 minute walk. There's also 8-10 tennis and basketball courts and a full outdoor track. The NYIT library is also very nice, modern and huge, but again, NYCOM doesnt show it on the tour b/c it's a 3 minute walk and not officially part of the med school, but many students study there and are welcome to do so. Moral of the story, stay tuned, the facilities are very much improving and will rival any med school in the coming years...

to Socal: NYCOM only invites you and charges you to fill out a secondary if you're invited for an interview. About 3/4 of those interviewed are accepted. They get around 1400-1500 applications, interview around 550 and accept between 350-450 usually, give or take. Successful applicants usually have above a 25 MCAT and a 3.45 gpa. I think they start interviewing sometime in late september and stop in late spring or whenever the class fills. I'm going to be a second year next year and I enjoy the school very much. I picked it over several other DO schools. The first 2 years are stressful, but show me a school where they're not. The clinical affiliations are truly unmatched. Several grads went to ivy residencies in rads and anesthesiology this year with a dozen+ more matching in great surgery, ortho, EM, etc. programs.

good luck. there seems to be a NYCOM pipeline from southern CA. Seems like a slew of students are from that area.

hey, thanks for the info. Hopefully I will be able to find that pipeline and join you guys. I am however, a long island local. I moved out here about three years ago. anyway...thanks again

hey all, as a person who has gone through 3 years of NYIT...thats NYCOMs mommy school, i can tell you some stuff. NYCOM is a great school clinically, lectures etc, but having talked to the faculty on many occassions and to the students, they seem to have a heavy drop/weedout rate the first year. I dont know how that compares to other schools. The first and second year kids bitch and moan a lot, the 3rd and fourth years (read 'the battle hardened survivors') seem to be pretty happy. Its a place where you have to be on top of things, like changes in schedule of exams, etc...which may/may not occur at a moments notice. The staff and teachers are generally good though. :D

Dear JPHazelton and everyone else,

I met a DO who just began his internal medicine residency at the UConn Health Center today. After talking for a while, I learned that he had graduated from PCOM and planned to pursue internal medicine as a career. I am interested in PCOM and would like to ultimately get into neuropsychiatry. Do you know of any PCOM students who have gone on to residencies in this area? If so, were they osteopathic or allopathic residencies? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

INE