NyCOM Summer Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isomerjohn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone through the NYCOM summer program for disadvantaged students ?

Members don't see this ad.

I was there this past summer. It's a very intense program. There were about 50 of us in the program.We did basic anatomy(whole body + neuro) in 6 weeks.You're in class/lab 5 days a week for 7.5 weeks from 9-5. Most of the professors are decent. Biochem prof was excellent. Same profs that will be teaching during regular school year. Gives you a sense of what medical school is like. The teaching assistants are students that have gone through the same program. They were very helpful(review sessions, practice exams,and general info about NYCOM and Long Island).

This is a summer program and an intense one too. Forget about relaxing weekends or going downtown.
Your time will be better spent in the library or in one of the empty classrooms at C.W. Post (LIU).
I stayed at the LIU dorm. Not the best living conditions but an excellent way to meet future classmates/colleagues.

I have no regrets about attending that program. It has prepared me well for the 1st year. You might say that I don't have to spend as much time on anatomy as others:)

What is the requirement to attend the NYCOM summer program for disadvantaged students? Who can be classified as disadvantaged? Is it open only to NYCOM students? How to apply for admission to this program? When does this program start and end? Any cost involved?

Thanks for your help.