1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

NYCOM vs NSU

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by sholly, Mar 23, 2004.

1. sholly

sholly Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i have a huge problem choosing b/ween these schools. I fell in love with nsu b/c the school is amazing but i hate hate hate to fly and i'm worried of where i'll end up my 3rd year. Nycom, on the other hand, is a really small unimpressive school and is essentially up the block from my house which is not a good thing b/c i have a lot of people at home and won't be able to study in peace. besides i really don't want to live at home for 2-4 years. but nycom is in ny which is good. so , to those attending either school, what do you think i should do? any advice is helpful.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sia_simba

sia_simba Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Living at home gives you great advantages. A school is a school, as long as you're able to get the education you want/need and able to get license, i personally dont think it matters. It matters of course if you are big on location. I have never been to NSU before so I wouldnt know how it is there.

I commute everyday for a total of 2hrs at least, and I think living at home is one of the best thing that i've chosen. You will meet friends at your school regardless of staying at home or not, but at home, you get the comfort of your family. Plus, most of the time, people study in the library so they dont really get to see home anyways. And if you do go home, your parents can cook you a nice warm meal instead of eating out all the time or cooking yourself. You also save $$ on transportation, and rent, which is real big depending on which school you go to.

Plus, whenever you are really stressed out, you will know how to deal with it being that you are in the environment which you grew up in.

I would personally choose NYCOM and its not because I go there. =)

Also, I've spoken to some residency director up at wilson memorial in upstate NY and he told me that by far, NYCOM has one of the best medical hospital affiliates out of all the osteopathic schools. You get to be near or in NYC which has a lot of "accidents". But that was a year ago, not sure if things changed or not.

I hope my input helps.

4. polo8250

polo8250 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I had a hard time choosing between the two but I decided to go with NSU. I actually live 4 miles from the school with my parents but I am going to be moving into an apt that is within .5 miles from the school. I love New York and I thought NYCOM was a great school, but I liked NSU a lot and really felt at home there. NYCOM does have an advantage regarding rotations but I have heard many times that medical school is what you make of it. I decided that I would make the most of what I will be given at NSU. The professors seem great and the students are really helpful.

The right choice will come to you. I don't know how much time you have to choose, but just follow your heart. If you have any questions pm me. :)

5. mrlee123

mrlee123 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know if you made a decision yet, I know you posted this a while ago. I actually live about two miles from NYCOM also but attend NSU. If you are still contemplating between the two, I could give you more info on what its like at NSU and commuting from NY to Florida.

6. 1max2nv

1max2nv Registered ABUSER
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey, im in the same position as sholly, could you fill us in on how easy etc it is to go bak home with the amount of workload you guys have. Also, would u happen to know what airliner is the cheapest for us to fly back n forth. Im actually from NJ so newark airport is 5mi from my home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

7. Doc34

Doc34 Member
    7+ Year Member

I would advise to stay close to your home. It is going to be cheaper in the long run NSU-COM is a great school but IF it were my decsion I would go to NYCOM. More Convinient and LEss $.

8. amoxicillin

amoxicillin Membership Revoked
    Removed

I would go to NSU if you really love it. choose a place you will be happy at....don't choose by convenience. If your somewhere that makes you happy -- your learnign will vastly improve.