nycom vs nsucom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumar28

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
are you guys sick of these questions yet??
I was pretty bent on attending Nsucom but after seeing the nycom match list from another thread, I'm not sure that would be my best option. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I have to decide in the next week. As far as home is concerned, both schools are far from it. All thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Both are great schools. You should be happy you have such a decision to make. My suggestion is to go to the school that you honestly believe will make you the happiest. Both schools have great match lists.

I agree with DOnut. Both schools are amazing and have awesome match lists! I believe one of the founders of this website or forum is an NSUCOM graduate who is did residency at Yale University in Anesthesiology. I think med school is what you make of it. Match lists are just representations of different people with different interests(not necessarily saying that one school is better than another)...people from NSUCOM largely would like to stay in Florida and I'm sure people from NYCOM largely stay around that northeast area(and since there are lots of good hospitals and ivy league schools around there...they try to go there)...but NSUCOM has awesome hospitals in Florida and just plain awesome facilities and some of the friendliest students you could find at any school! I am ofcourse bias to NSUCOM considering I had to compare it to AZCOM, Des Moines, Touro, Western COMP, and a really solid DO school CCOM(midwestern)...and even Finch(an MD school) by chicago. All had great match lists..but Nova had teh entire package I was looking for and was a great match FOR ME. I think that is what you should look for when looking for the right school. I liked the technology, the staff, the students, the mission trip opportunities, the facilities, the library, the reputation, and ofcourse the weather and location factored in when thinking about studying in a nice environment not having to worry about the stresses of winter and getting sick....hehe ;)

Well good luck with your decision and I'm sure you'll be fine at either institution, they are both great ones...but try NSUCOM out!! :cool:

Mani
NSUCOM Class of 2007

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm Florida or Long Island? Like the beach? Like hanging out in the city? Would you like to do a residency in the Northeast? Hate the cold? Could you see yourself living in Florida? Would you ever consider doing your residency at University of Florida?

If you really can't make up your mind it probably means the choices are equal to you and you will have to flip a coin! ;)

I think the match lists are a function of osteopathic medicine really going mainstream in the past few years and students taking the USMLE and applying allopathic.

What ? miss florida and jackson memorial hospital?

NSUCOM no doubt!

Since everyone's waving their flags, might as well wave my own.

I'm starting at nycom in august. This is what I see from nycom through some friends and my dad who's an MD but works with some of their students:
1) Great rotations, probably best of the D.O. world and comparable to most MD schools in the New York Vicinity
2) Awesome technology- students get PDAs, the campus is going wireless, all lectures are taped and put streaming so you can WATCH THEM FROM HOME!
3) Patient population in NY Metro area is unmatched. The Capital of the World.
4) Most diverse medical school in the country, or so their dean says. 56% women in this year's class.
5) Active student body... paying for trips to conventions in vegas for everyone. Vegas baby, vegas.
6) The best OMM department in the country, so I'm told.
7) NY: a state without that damn internship rule, that's if you want to stay in FL for residency and/or practice.
8) I'm a skiier, so I like the cold. But it was 74 and sunny in NY today. Beach- 10 minutes in the summer, slopes, 90 minutes in the winter.
9) Dr. Ross-Lee, the dean, is the bomb.... Diana Ross's sister too.
10) Cool Parkinson's research going on. My friend was published twice as a result of it.
11) The match list speaks for itself, and it's starting a war on the allo board. Gotta love that ;)

Nova definitely may have an advantage in the palm trees and average tanning index. In the end, as the above poster said, go where you can be HAPPY. We all love each school for different reasons. Pick a school and dont look back. Good luck.

Hm, I could say things about NSUCOM like:

Best OMM Department (so I saw as a 1st and 2nd year)
Our Dean is the BOMB
South Florida has the widest pathology, extremely varied patient population (lots from Africa, Central America, SOuth America)
Cool _______ research

But those really don't mean anything.

And NSUCOM's match list is on the web, go to medicine.nova.edu, click on Programs (I think) and Clinical Education, then the match lists.

I know lots of my fellow colleages (I graduate in one week!) who matched at top notch residencies. I myself matched at a *relatively* un-DO-friendly hospital. One of my classmates is the first DO Surgery Resident at an MD Univeristy...

As a graduating medical student, I have a much... *BETTER* perspective, about what is important in medical school.

The environment the school is in. Do you want to be in FL for four years? NY? Chicago? Philly? Each has their pros and cons... but its up to you to decide that.

Tuition.

Those really should be the only things in your decision.

At your stage of the game, you cannot compare schools completely (especially on what's important). All schools prepare you the same. You would score the same board score at NYCOM that you would at NSUCOM, you would match the same place at NSUCOM as you would NYCOM.

Good luck in your decision.

Q

Location does play a huge part in your medical school career since you will be living in either NY or FL for the next 3 or so years! So, make sure you are happy. I, myself, am from CA and made the big move to NY...I went from living on a beach where 60 was cold...to Long Island where I pray for 60!!! Although my car doesn't like snow too much, I love it!

However, the reason why I liked NYCOM so much is that I looked at where my $27,500 was going...I looked at the OMM lab...VERY impressive...I looked at our anatomy lab...besides it being big, it didn't smell! Also, the classrooms are up to date and you can hook your lap top up to the internet anywhere! The other schools I interviewed at were not as well put together (I can't speak for Nova since I didn't interview there)...plus, the fact that NYCOM insures residency for their graduates was a great incentive...I mean, who wants to be $200,000+ in debt and not matching? (Mind you...they hook you up with A residency...doesn't mean that you get your top choice...but at least you're on the road to being certified!)

Hope that helps!!! Good luck!

SexyEgptnDr

"insuring you match into a residency"

Sounds great as a pre-med, but in reality, it doesn't mean much.

Considering that many (half, perhaps, at some institutions) DO students go to MD residencies (such as myself), that leaves a LOT of DO residencies unmatched and unfilled. Many of these residencies are at very small hospitals or in the middle of nowhere (which is why they remain unmatched). NYCOM would just look up a list of unmatched programs and stick your name in there. I'd rather put my fate into the scramble first.

And first year facilities seem so important to pre-meds, but in reality, dont' mean much. NSUCOM has a BEAUTIFUL campus, nice labs, beautiful auditoriums, marble floors, excellent acoustics, etc etc, but they really don't mean jack in the long run (more of a wow factor, as well as for marketing to pre-meds).

Q

wow...everything that you mentioned QuinnNSU among other things....was what attracted me to Nova....so then, why did you choose Nova over other schools...and what other schools did you compare it to? :)

$

Quinn, NYCOM's insuring of residency comes from their 20 affliated hospitals in the tri state area...not matching you with unmatched residencies (which you can do yourself).

The reasons why I came to NYCOM were the ones that I stated...whether they were good/bad or not significant to you is not the issue here...

According to you, the only thing that's important in choosing a medical school is tuition and location....cool...well, almost every DO school costs the same...now what? I hope that you didn't choose your residency based on location only...most physicians and 3rd/4th years that I know talked to chose the medical school and their residencies based on where they thought they were going to get the best training and education (along with if their family was in the area)....and what may be a good school for one, may not be for another...whether or not you agree with that, you have to remember how you felt when you applied to schools...I wouldn't try to "simplify" a decision that is a very important and even a little stressful for applicants.

Kumar28- I hope that you make the right decision...I think that you should go with your first instinct....remember how you felt on your tours and the atmosphere at the schools...I'm sure that you will make the right choice!

SexyEgptnDr

If you can make it here, you'll make it anywhere!

NEW YORK NEW YORK BABY! :clap: :clap: :clap:

HOME OF THE YANKEES!

BROADWAY!

WE HAVE BEACHES WHEN YOU CAN GO TO THEM - IN THE SUMMER! You are in medical school afterall, why the distraction?

IT'S SOOOO COLD IN THE WINTER, YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO STUDY! Ask anyone!

You'll get the best exposure, and whereever you want to practice, you'll be ready for what they have to throw at you....

NYCOM ALL THE WAY! :clap: :clap: :clap: