Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

NYCOM vs PCOM

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by luckymed, Apr 17, 2002.

1. luckymed

luckymed Member

Do they both have lecture notes n videos? For those who were accepted by both, why did you choose one over the other? Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DOnut

DOnut Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I was accepted to both, and I chose NYCOM. PCOM essentially has one of the best basic science programs (first 2 years) in the country. NYCOM, however is one of the best schools for clinical affiliations. I chose NYCOM basically because they have a more than adequate first two years, and superior clinical training. I want to be a physician, not a researcher, so I chose NYCOM. This means that I may have to work a little harder for the first two years, but you have to work hard anyway. Also, with NYCOM being in NYC, you have a better opportunity to associate with potential residency spots (both osteopathic and allopathic). Oh and one more reason, you do not have to move out of the area during your third year to accomplish your core rotation, unless you elect to.

4. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    I was accepted to both NYCOM and PCOM.

I agree with DOnut on much of what was said. I have close friends who are currently enrolled in both programs, so this information isnt just what I percieved.

NYCOM Positive
    </font>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great clinical affiliations/clinical education </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Challenging and comprehensive first 2 years </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Close proximity to NYC </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Safe living area - Long Island </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great match lists from previous years: 50% specialty/50% primary care </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Amazing OMM Lab </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great OMM professors </font></li>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">NYCOM Negative
    </font>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">High cost of living </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Campus is small/few facilities for students </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Students do not seem happy (at least to me) </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">All students must have a car to get to school </font></li>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">PCOM Positive
    </font>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">100+ years of graduates - Great reputation </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Amazing student facilities - gym, cafeteria, sports </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Students all seem happy and get along </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do not need a car - apartments within walking distance </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great match lists from previous years: 50% specialty/50% primary care </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reasonable cost of living </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great OMM professors </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Philadelphia is VERY "DO friendly" </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nice campus </font></li>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">PCOM Negative
    </font>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">City is not as safe as Long Island suburbs </font></li>
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">More traveling may be necessary in 3rd/4th years </font></li>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I chose PCOM, but I was very impressed with NYCOM.
    I think both schools have their strong points, and like any medical school, there are weak points as well.

I interview at NYCOM first and was basically ready to move to Long Island, but after leaving PCOMs campus after my interview, there was NO doubt in my mind.

Good luck with everything.