IzzyB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
Any TUCOMers & NYCOMers please HELP... need your input! I got accepted to both and cannot decide where to go. I've lived in Nevada for over 13 years now and would like to stay close to home. However, NYCOM really impressed me (ie: campus, hospital affiliates, wireless/hi-tech campus, etc.). So far, a few of the TUCOMers (including the student who gave us the tour during our interview day), when asked why they picked TUCOM have all similar answers.. they picked it because of the location and how they wanted to stay in the west coast. I would really like to have a more profound reason than "geographically ideal". PLEASE anyone who can give me a substantial reason why to pick TUCOM... please, I would appreciate your input on this. NYCOMers: this might me a totally stupid/ignorant question but, are there rotations available for NYCOMers in the west coast? What are the chances of matching in the west coast?

daact

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
The Greater NY Area
Status (Visible)
whats up dude...anyway...i was in the same situation as you...and the reason i picked nycom is because it has one of hte best hospital afflicaitons...also...nycom is accredited by the osteopathic association.....TUCOM is a the newest DO school, and they are still working out some problems in the curriculum...hope that helps...if you want to practice in the west coast...then go to TUCOM....but i am pretty sure you can match in the west coast even if you come to NYCOM...

later

SexyEgptnDr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2002
Long Island, NY
Status (Visible)
I'm originally from California...so, I feel your pain. However, I am here at NYCOM...and I am loving it. Two of my former undergraduate study partners attend COMP and TUCOM....we compare notes all the time. I think that I made the right choice for myself....I'm not saying that NYCOM is better per se, but it was better for ME. That's what you need to think about....what is important to YOU about a medical school? Location? Education? Board Scores? Clinical Affiliations? Think about that first...then decide.

As far as location goes....TUCOM is closer to you and from what I hear, they have a lot of affiliations in Vegas, if you want to stay in Nevada...but, if you are looking at where you want to invest 4 years of tuition (and I believe that both schools are just as expensive)...then look a little deeper...

If you have any specific questions about NYCOM, please post.

SexyEgptnDr

About the Ads

IzzyB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
daact & sexyEgptnDr....
Thank you guys for your response. I actually just sent my response to TUCOM declining their offer. That was a really hard thing for me to do because I would really like to stay in the west coast. After weighing things out, I feel that NYCOM potentially would be the better school for ME... I certainly hope I made the right decision.
sexyEgptnDr... since you're from CA, are you considering doing residency in the west coast? Do you think NYCOMers would have problems matching in the west coast? Also, where would you suggest to look for housing that's reasonably affordable for someone who's not exactly considering a room mate for now... I kinda just want to live on my own for now. Lastly, any last minute advice for an incoming student? ... certainly appreciate your input!

med26

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
Bring a car from there. You need a car at NYCOM and insurance here is 3 times higher than there. Also, the people in NY drive like animals, so don't be surprised when you get here.

SexyEgptnDr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2002
Long Island, NY
Status (Visible)
IzzyB-

Congrats on your decision...I know it must have been hard. To answer your questions...

I am thinking about going back to CA....but, it is not a sure thing because there are so many hospitals out here that I would love to do my training at....but, I have a little time to figure it out. I have talked to a few directors at hospitals in CA and they suggested that if I wanted to do a residency out there...I should do an elective or two of mine out there at the end of my 3rd/beginning of my 4th year so I can showcase myself. I have checked with NYCOM on their policies on doing electives or rotations outside of NYCOMEC- and they are not opposed to any of it. In fact, one of our 4th years that I just ran into at Kinkos last week was going to Hawaii for a Peds/IM rotation....I would love to be her =)

As far as where to live on Long Island...well, I don't suggest that you live right next to school. As you've probably read- everywhere near school is EXPENSIVE....and TINY. If you want to live alone, there is one apartment building in Glen Cove (about ten minutes from school)...but my friend who was living there alone last year was paying $1,000/month including heat. Another friend of mine lives on his own in Uniondale (about twenty five minutes from school...the other way) and he pays $450/month. So, it all depends. I have an awesome land lord- so if you need information on places, pm me. I'll give you his number- but you may want to call him about two months before you actually plan on coming out here.

Plus- don't forget- you should be getting access to our web board soon. On the web board- there are links for available housing...you will definitely find something.

Oh yeah- about the car.....I completely agree. I can't live without my car....but, then again, I think I would say the same thing if I lived in Manhattan...I guess it's the Californian in me =)

Good luck =)

SexyEgptn

sia_simba

15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
York Pennsylvania
www.wellspan.org
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Old, but just have to put my few cents in.

I hated TUCOM.. that place was sooo runned down when i interviewed there.... Valiejo is really expensive to live as well, so price shouldnt be much of a difference. but the weather is nicer.

Also, Last time I've checked, TUCOM had like 1 affiliated hospital in vegas. Actually.. i have tons of family in vegas.. but I think its better at NYCOM.

I know some california peepz that goes to NYCOM and said that they are setting up hospitals in california where you can do your residency in.. however it would be harder... so whatever.

I thought TUCOM was such a dump.. it looked like an abandone shipyard.. actually it is one.. hehehe.

DNA-RL

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2004
Status (Visible)
Was tucom really that bad?? I don't know about hospital affiliations, but i heard their match list is increadible even when comparing with allopathic schools. Also I think students entering touro are often, on average, of higher caliber. US news even ranked them as one of the top osteopathic medical schools with regards to mcat and gpa. I agree though, the school isn't that pretty, but hey with the way they're matching they must be doing something right. I haven't heard that much about NYCOM though, just heard the campus is pretty big.

Elysium

Not Really An Old Beaver
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2001
Austin
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I'm attending TUCOM next year and yes, the match list is impressive. It's a relatively new school, but the faculty and staff there are awesome. I got accepted into 3 schools and I really felt like TUCOM was the best fit for me. But, then, I didn't want to go back to the East Coast (went to undergrad in Boston) because I am DONE with snow!

Every school has it's plusses and minuses. As someone said, you just have to make the right decision for yourself (which it sounds like you did).

yO_LOL

10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2004
Status (Visible)
TUCOM baby...class of 2008!!!

Btw, Elysium...have u heard how the white coat ceremony is set up yet at TUCOM?

sia_simba

15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
York Pennsylvania
www.wellspan.org
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yes... TUCOM has only 1 affiliated hospital in las vegas...

TUCOM also have a great match list. =) TUCOM is rated pretty high w/ accepting people w/ higher mcats and gpa.... However, I feel that the environment has an effect on people's study habits. For me... I couldn't picture myself studying at tucom or enjoying the environment. I've also heard that tucom have a lot of work to do such as ciriculum and things like that because they are fairly new.

By all means, if nycom didn't accept me... I would have gone to TUCOM because of its academic high standing and good match list. I just didnt like the area. PLUs.. im not from the west coast so it would have been a bit diff for me.

It depends on where and what you like in a school. education wise, both are good I feel. So its just up to location. but NYC might be pretty fun if you're not from around here. =)

Dr. Pangia

10+ Year Member
May 19, 2004
Status (Visible)
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Everybody take it easy. Choosing an osteopathic medical school after collecting your acceptances is a very difficult decision. I remember having to pick between five different schools and not knowing what the true differences were between all of them. As a New Yorker, I too had to make a decision between TUCOM and NYCOM as well. I feel comfortable with my choice and matched to a very competetive post-graduate program that was high on my rank list (which is what really matters, at the end of the day).

Looking back on my experience, I can safely say that the differences between the different schools is negligible. I should know, I served as TUCOM's official national student representative for a year and worked closely with the official representatives from every other osteopathic school in the country. Each and every school has their positives and negatives. An accepted student would do themselves best to explore the school's area and decide what area the student would be happiest living. At the end of one's education it's the personal effort the student has put into their own education that will make the major difference and not the school attended.

In defense of TUCOM, many of the buildings are historic dating back to the 1800's (read "old", if you must) but our laboratories are state-of-the-art and our cadaver laboratory was the envy of each of my colleagues from other schools. Hospital affiliations will change rapidly and are strongest in the geographic area of the campus. Students who rotate at a residency program's hospital have a better chance to match than one who has not rotated there. Therefore, if a student wishes most to eventually train in a California residency, it would be wisest to rotate at or around that area so that either the program director or physicians closely associated with that person will have first-hand experience with the applicant. Good luck to any and all who read this.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.