Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

NYCOM vs. TUCOM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by J143, Jan 14, 2000.

1. J143

J143 Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey out there!

I've just been accepted to NYCOM and am waiting to hear from TUCOM (I interviewed there last week and will here very soon according to their admissions director).

Just wanted to get a sense of how people think the schools compare. I know that TUCOM is a brand new school and that NYCOM has great rotation and residency placements, but TUCOM's average MCAT and undergraduate grade point averages are higher than NYCOM's. I'm not really sure what to go by. All I know is that I liked both schools very much and that it is going to be a very difficult decision for me to make!

I'd appreciate any and all thoughts on the subject!

Thanks.
    JH

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Think career-wise.

How are TUCOM's rotations? Do they have many affiliates? How's residency placement?

Ultimately where do you want to practice? NYCOM, I assume, has a better placement rate in New York than in other states, although one would never know since NYCOM doesn't release that sort of information (even to its own students).

Tim of New York City.

4. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Tim is right....

I am sure TUCOM is a great school, but the most important thing you need to focus on is where do alums from a particular school end up, what are their board scores, what type of rotations do they get, what type (& where) of residencies do graduates go to. Thats the beauty of going to a medical school that has been around for awhile-that information is available. TUCOM is still brand new-a little risky but I am sure there should not be a problem in the future.

Medical schools make changes on their program as they go through each class. If a particular class isn't passing the boards very well, curriculum changes will most likely be done. Check how the 1st class at TUCOM did.

NYCOM has been around. I definitely know they have great rotation sites (I am trying to set up some rotations at their affiliation sites)
    most likely great residency placements for its grads.
    Do you want to stay in NY or San Fran? What makes you happy?

MCAT scores at a particular school shouldn't be a huge concern for you anymore when you get accepted into medical school. Your focus should be on a particular school's curriculum, type of rotations you can get, hospital affiliations, ave board scores, residency placement for its grads, etc.. because YOU will most likely go through that path as well.

Overall, NEW schools are just a little risky because nothing has been established yet (accreditation, affiliations, board scores, residency, etc..) until each class goes through all that. You will sort of be like a guinea pig until then. Good luck in your decision.

Rob
    WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

5. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've heard that at this one DO school (Pikeville, I believe), you actually have to set up your own third and fourth year rotations because: 1) They don't have their own hospital and 2) They haven't set up any affiliate hospitals. That's horrible!

Rob: Which NYCOM hospital are you planning to rotate through? I only ask because I'm pretty familiar with many of them (since NYCOM and my own school actually "share" affiliates), and you have any questions on their neighborhoods (for housing and such), I can help you out.

Tim of New York City.

[This message has been edited by turtleboard (edited 01-15-2000).]

6. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks Tim...that's really nice of you. When the times comes, I will inquire about some spots because I definitely want to head out there.

Next year, I am planning to do my whole 3rd year rotation here in Cali & all of 4th year in the East Coast. I am planning to do my residency out there so I want to check out some hospitals & maybe network [​IMG]

Our school has agreements w/ Albany Hospital, Beth Israel Medical Center, Cabrini Medical Center, Peninsula Hospital, St. Barnabas, etc.. I would like to rotate through some of them during my 4th year if possible.

Thanks again.

Rob

7. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Beth Israel (Einstein) and Cabrini (Sinai) both have a good regional reputation, as far as I know, and are both within blocks of each other.

Barnabas is the big osteopathic-oriented hospital in New York City (it's NYCOM's major clinical affiliate), but it's all the way up in the Bronx. Kinda spooky.

But when the time comes, I'll be around.

Tim of New York City.

8. Pikevillemedstudent

Pikevillemedstudent Bengals Fan
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Pikeville does have their own hospital. It is a new level 1 trauma center located in Pikeville. It is surprisingly large considering the size of the city(<10,000). It even has open heart surgery!! Also, rotations have been set up all across the state. NO ONE HAS TO FIND THEIR OWN ROTATIONS! This simply is not or ever was true.

9. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry.

But I believe way back in the beginning, when Pikeville was a new place, rotations were a bit difficult to come by because of the lack of a structured rotations thing.

Glad to hear things have changed, if indeed they have.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tim of New York City.

10. PCSOM2002

PCSOM2002 Junior Member

Turtleborad,
    P-villemedstudent is correct. Pikeville has affiliated with several hospitals. Clinical rotations are available from western Kentucky to Virginia, with more to come. The school has quickly gotten on track and gets more established everyday. They will even set up your entire third and fourth year rotations for you, except for your electives. They leave those to you. Pikeville is also creating internship and residencies (Fam.Med, IM,& Peds). The University of Kentucky just signed on to be a member of our OPTI. Their Family Practice program should be AOA approved in the next year or so. The University of Louisville and East Tennessee State School of Med. are presently in duscussion with the school about joining the OPTI also. The school recently got a very nice grant from the state of Kentucky to be used for their OPTI so the hospitals would not have to pay to join the Pikeville OPTI so the post graduate programs at those hospitals could be AOA approved. Just wanted to let everyone know.

11. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You Go Pikeville!!! [​IMG] It so good to know that the establishment thing is getting underway.

What about the other new school, TUCOM? Anyone out there from TUCOM can elighten us with the new things going on in northern cali. Glad to hear some!!! [​IMG]

Rob

12. Astroboy

Astroboy New Member

You want TUCOM? You got TUCOM!

Well, I mentioned the rotations over in the other TUCOM discussion topic, but needless to say there're lots and they're all over.

The Northern Cali Kaiser affiliation is nice. It means we can get into any hospital that Kaiser runs as non-elective rotation time. This has some interesting logical repercussions (Kaiser/Stanford ER? Who knows?) Las Vegas is begging for our students. And of course there's Philly, LI, Texas, etc.

Astroboy
    TUCOM 2003