eag

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just wanted to know what the pros and cons are for these two schools? If you have the answers to the following questions for each, that would be helpful as well:
1- pass rate
2- #people to cadaver
3- is there a student run free clinic
4- what are the changes in the curriculum and are these changes for the better or the worse
5- is there a preceptor program
6- any info on the summer pre-matriculation programs
7- what's the exam schedule
8- when in the year do you start seeing real patients
9- type of support provided by the school
10-curriculum type - any integration or individual subject based

Nate

Missing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2003
NJ > Ohio
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am just going to respond to the ones I know about for UMDNJ-SOM.

2) 4 - 5 people to a cadaver
4) Brand new curriculum this year, incorporates more small group and case based learning into the traditional curriculum.
5) Yes to the preceptor program and you are matched to a big brother/sister from the second year class as well.
6) Pre-matric program runs from June 20th to July 22nd this year and is free of charge. Covers important concepts in Biochem, Physiology, and Histology with lecture in the mornings and case-based learning in afternoon. Tests will be given but won’t count for grades so its great time to learn what works while it doesn’t count.
7) Exams are given in blocks during the year with a week of no classes in each block.
8) You are assigned to a clinical preceptor and spend some time with him/her first year. We (accepted students for next year) were asked what our interests are already to match us up with our preceptor. I have heard it depends on the preceptor you get as to how much you actually get to do and how much patient contact you have, but that is just hearsay.
10) From the previous year schedules it appears the subjects stay in tune with each other so that relevant information is pieced together through the courses. SOM has anatomy in the spring and Physiology in the fall so that we can share anatomy professors with Robert Wood Johnson. Fall classes are Physiology, Biochemistry, Histology, OMM

Good luck on your decision.

DOctorJay

15+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
eag said:
I just wanted to know what the pros and cons are for these two schools? If you have the answers to the following questions for each, that would be helpful as well:
1- pass rate
2- #people to cadaver
4- what are the changes in the curriculum and are these changes for the better or the worse
all good questions, i'll see what i can do to answer them
1- don't know for sure but i hear it's pretty good (this is more based on you as a student anyway)
2- 4 ppl to a cadaver
3- yes, student run clinic in Camden
4- changes are definitely for the better, PM me for details
5- preceptor program is really good, we're required to do 30 hours a year for the first 2 years (you can do more if you want and you will learn tons of clinical medicine and procedures before you hit the wards)
6- i personally don't have info on the pre-matric program but know how it works - you start early with some profs and some students who did well in the class who serve as TAs - it's basically intro to your first block of med school and although you will study and review material your grades in pre-matric do not affect your true grades when everyone starts - from what i have heard it's a great way to get to know people in the class and learn some tips from the previous class
7- exam schedule is block- we go for anywhere from 4-6 weeks worth of info and have a whole week dedicated to exams (no classes during exam blocks for the first year, second year is different) 3 exam blocks each semester
8- you start seeing real patients the minute you begin your preceptorship which can begin as soon as you find out who your preceptor is (very early in the semester)
9- support comes in many many many forms
your big bro/sis
your fellow classmates
any second year you find in the hallway
free tutors (second years who did well in your classes)
cognitive skills department that will work one on one with you to develop studying strategies, etc.
any and all profs at almost any time (seriously)
financial support (we get info sessions on how to budget our money, plus there are tons of free lunches here)
mental health (tons of organizations)
physical health (gym on campus)
the list goes on
10- currently in the works, PM for details

hope this helps, I'm a first year at SOM and am very happy here.

-J

DrFeelgoodDO

PV,PO,PR - in that order
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
eag said:
1- pass rate
2- #people to cadaver
As above; it's no contest. In fact, forget about all of the accurate info above - unless you are independently wealthy or have a wealthy family, how can you expect to pay double for tuition AND pay double for housing while living on the gold coast of long island? That, in itself, makes the decision a no-brainer.

OP
E

eag

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are the affiliates for UMDNJ-SOM just the Kennedy system, Our Lady of Lourdes and St Francis? Where can I get the updated resideny match list for them.
Where can I get a listing of NYCOM's teaching affiliates?

Phil Anthropist

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
Visit site
Status
Regarding NYCOM, I believe you can see the teaching affiliates by department here (warning: pretty big pdf file).

The last residency match list for UMDNJ-SOM was in 2002 (here). I have yet to find anything more recent.

You probably already know this, but I just thought I'd throw this out just in case...UMDNJ-SOM's class sizes are MUCH smaller (about 90) than NYCOM's (about 260). I think that's a huge plus for UMDNJ-SOM.

Nate

Missing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2003
NJ > Ohio
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes. those are the affiliates. Kennedy consists of three centers which treat three different patient populations, OLOL treats an urban population. However, you are allowed to do your electives (most of fourth year) anywhere in the US or outside of the US. NYCOM as far as I know has some very good clinical affiliates also throughout NYC, which is its best seller. One of the problems for me with that is NYC is an hour away from the school and with traffic forget it (when is there not traffic in NYC?).

ornis4

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Nate said:
Yes. those are the affiliates. Kennedy consists of three centers which treat three different patient populations, OLOL treats an urban population. However, you are allowed to do your electives (most of fourth year) anywhere in the US or outside of the US. NYCOM as far as I know has some very good clinical affiliates also throughout NYC, which is its best seller. One of the problems for me with that is NYC is an hour away from the school and with traffic forget it (when is there not traffic in NYC?).
Agreed. That is something I'm factoring in my decision...NYCOM has set up a program where you can do all of your core rotations at one site I believe. This may seem like a disadvantage because some hospitals are better at some things than others, but I think if we're talking about some excellent hospitals, this option appeals to me quite a bit. UMDNJ-SOM still appeals to me in many ways, I'm more of a small class, suburb guy...but I'm still on the waitlist! And yes, having to drive anywhere near Manhattan or any of the river crossings is always an adventure.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Both are great schools.

Although I love the class size at PCOM, I think it would be interesting to be in a smaller class...providing you get along with people.

I would have gone to UMDNJSOM over NYCOM if I didnt get into PCOM.

OP
E

eag

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
JPHazelton: why would you pick UMDNJ-SOM over NYCOM if you didn't get PCOM? Aren't there more similarities between NYCOM and PCOM?

JPHazelton said:
Both are great schools.

Although I love the class size at PCOM, I think it would be interesting to be in a smaller class...providing you get along with people.

I would have gone to UMDNJSOM over NYCOM if I didnt get into PCOM.