Mar 21, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I am accepted by NYCOM about 1 week ago, and want to learn more about the schools.

I heard mixed reviews regarding the schools in term of the curriculum and the administration. Can any NYCOM students and graduate comments about the training they received at NYCOM.

I am most interested in the board preparation and the M3 clinical training.

PlasticMan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Status
As far as the M3 training, it depends at which hospitals you rotate at. As for myself, I can tell you that the majority of my M3 training was excellent, especially when rotating at places like North Shore or LIJ.

OP
M
Mar 21, 2010
Status
Medical Student
that's what I heard, I am not that concern with reputation that much, I prefer an urban environment with good clinical and decent M1 and M2.

can you provide some input about the M1 and M2 curriculum?

As far as the M3 training, it depends at which hospitals you rotate at. As for myself, I can tell you that the majority of my M3 training was excellent, especially when rotating at places like North Shore or LIJ.

SpecialmED

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
It'll get you through....And it fine for board prep, but like any school board prep is reading your goljan and first aid, class is mostly a waste of time.
If you can get into the DPC program, seem like they get alot of extra attention.

With that said don't count on the faulty for anything, ever. If you have more questions feel free to PM me.

elftown

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
FWIW, I just found out that my next door neighbor went to NYCOM and loved it. :thumbup:

OP
M
Mar 21, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I am basically comparing to some mid-tiers MD schools, around the tri-state area. maybe schools like Drexel or Downstate. I am comparing them based on the match list.

but there are lot of mixed reviews regarding nycom.

What medical schools are you trying to compare?

Ski2Doc

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field], Attending Physician
It'll get you through....And it fine for board prep, but like any school board prep is reading your goljan and first aid, class is mostly a waste of time.
If you can get into the DPC program, seem like they get alot of extra attention.

With that said don't count on the faulty for anything, ever. If you have more questions feel free to PM me.
I definitely agree with the last line.

But i disagree about DPC. Its NOT for everyone and i would strongly think about it for a while. once you are in you cant get out (after a month or so).
It may be good in concept but those kids worked much harder than lecture, no guidance just read read read.

Ski2Doc

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field], Attending Physician
Agree completely. It is totally up to WHERE you do M3. NYCOM has some excellent affiliations. And hey you are around NYC for pete's sake, cant beat that.

J1515

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
Status
I am basically comparing to some mid-tiers MD schools, around the tri-state area. maybe schools like Drexel or Downstate. I am comparing them based on the match list.

but there are lot of mixed reviews regarding nycom.
I had to make the same decision 5 years ago and ultimately chose NYCOM. It's all about personal preference, where you'd be the happiest over the next 4 years. Do not bother with the matchlists. They don't tell you anything. One year you might have 50 people applying for derm and ortho, and the next year you may have 2. The matchlists don't tell you that.

As far as the mixed reviews regarding nycom, you will have people complaining about their school wherever you look. NYCOM kids are notoriously extra whiny about everything from malfunctioning water fountains to gym hours to school sponsored softball games. The education at NYCOM is just fine and you will do as well as you would at any other school.

OP
M
Mar 21, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Does the DPC kids have access to the lecture videos and lecture notes of the lecture-based student

I recently found listening to lecture can help reinforce the learning.

is the lecture track a system-based teaching?

I definitely agree with the last line.

But i disagree about DPC. Its NOT for everyone and i would strongly think about it for a while. once you are in you cant get out (after a month or so).
It may be good in concept but those kids worked much harder than lecture, no guidance just read read read.

jp104

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2004
NYC
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Does the DPC kids have access to the lecture videos and lecture notes of the lecture-based student

I recently found listening to lecture can help reinforce the learning.

is the lecture track a system-based teaching?

Yes, all notes and lectures are online.

Yes, we use a systems based curriculum for 1st and 2nd yr.

OP
M
Mar 21, 2010
Status
Medical Student
what is your opinion regarding the lecture? does the lecture help you organize the material?

Yes, all notes and lectures are online.

Yes, we use a systems based curriculum for 1st and 2nd yr.

jp104

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2004
NYC
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
what is your opinion regarding the lecture? does the lecture help you organize the material?
Everybody is different. Some people get more out of reading the texts and going over the lecture videos at 2x speed. However, I went to lecture every day and it helped me to absorb the material. I very rarely streamed the lecture videos.

It depends on what kind of learner you are.

OP
M
Mar 21, 2010
Status
Medical Student
what if I taken physio, biochem, neuro in a postbac program. does NYCOM allow incoming to placed out of M1 course work and take M2 course during the first year?

Vee

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
New England
Status
Attending Physician
Nope, it doesn't work like that because NYCOM's curriculum is systems based. There are no individual courses for biochem, etc. because everything pertaining to each system is bundled together.

Sep 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
i was offered to participate in NYCOM's MED PREP program before they give me their final decision about acceptance. Does anyone know anything about this and what the chances of getting into the school are after the program?

NYDOC112

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Status
If you Pass Med Prep than they will accept you

Mr. Chan
NYCOM is systems based, and has great clinicals. You are given all of the notes ( they print is for you) and you can access the slides online/ re-watch the lectures. I graduated NYCOM and have no complaints. I also did amazing on both the COMLEX and USMLE. Just remember that some people still want to be spoon fed, This is Medical School, you will work hard, and if you do, You'll do great at NYCOM.

pdeco1

10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
How does one commute via public transit to NYCOM from Manhattan? I google mapped it via public transit and it took 3hrs and multiple transfers including buses.

Is there any easier way I am not seeing. I dont mind the idea of a commute but being able to study on the train vs. driving would be ideal.

Thanks.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
How does one commute via public transit to NYCOM from Manhattan? I google mapped it via public transit and it took 3hrs and multiple transfers including buses.

Is there any easier way I am not seeing. I dont mind the idea of a commute but being able to study on the train vs. driving would be ideal.

Thanks.
Is this using LIRR?

theaznfunk

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Status
Medical Student
My guess is that it's because osteopathic physicians are a minority in the medical world. :shrugs:

Alhambra

Fresh off the boat
Dec 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I got accepted to NYCOM and I'll be starting this fall, but I wanted to know if anyone had any info about the DO/MBA combined-degree program?

The website states that you must complete your first year to be eligible for the MBA, but there's nothing about the actual business curriculum, the spread of coursework over the next 3 years, or the amount of MBA tuition added on to the DO tuition.

If anyone's currently in this program, can you offer some insight into this?

Thanks!

countthestars

Resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2007
NYC
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Why on earth would you get an MBA from NYIT? It's of no use, a waste of money and won't help you at all in your future. Now, if you got an MBA from Kellogg, Stern, Wharton, Sloan, ect. then that's a different story. Most people go to business school for the networking opportunities. A chance to rub elbows with the big CEOs that also went to the top MBA programs. Please save yourself the money and time and just get your DO.

As far as NYCOM goes. I hate this school and wish I never went here. If you want to know why then just shot me a PM.

Mar 2, 2010
New York, New York
Status
Medical Student
Don't be discouraged by the above poster - their dislike of NYCOM seems to have no relevance to the MBA program. Everyone's experience is different, and for every person like this that hated their choice to attend NYCOM, there's one that would make the same choice all over again.

You have to take everything you hear on SDN with a grain of salt, especially this kind of anecdotal stuff.

AD28

7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
New York
Status
Medical Student
I got accepted to NYCOM and I'll be starting this fall, but I wanted to know if anyone had any info about the DO/MBA combined-degree program?

The website states that you must complete your first year to be eligible for the MBA, but there's nothing about the actual business curriculum, the spread of coursework over the next 3 years, or the amount of MBA tuition added on to the DO tuition.

If anyone's currently in this program, can you offer some insight into this?

Thanks!
if you don't mind me asking, were you accepted off the waitlist recently?

also, what are your long term goals for getting your MBA? generally speaking, MBAs are worth very little in terms of ROI unless it they come from a top b-school.

countthestars

Resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2007
NYC
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Don't be discouraged by the above poster - their dislike of NYCOM seems to have no relevance to the MBA program. Everyone's experience is different, and for every person like this that hated their choice to attend NYCOM, there's one that would make the same choice all over again.

You have to take everything you hear on SDN with a grain of salt, especially this kind of anecdotal stuff.
Sure you have to take everything you hear on SDN with a grain of salt and of course there will be students that loved NYCOM and others that hated it. I'm not denying that some of my friends love it here. But as a current student I have not have a pleasant experience with the school and I wish I never went here.

And as far as what I was getting at with the MBA program is that from my experience it is better to get an MBA from a top school since you get better networking opportunities.

peterish

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2007
Queens, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
+1
MBA is useless except from prestigious programs; it's all about the school name. It's not the same as in medicine where the school went to isn't a vital factor.

Alhambra

Fresh off the boat
Dec 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm really interested in medical management and the business/political side of medicine, so I applied to a bunch of MD/MBA combined degree programs, and I applied to NYCOM too, since it also has a DO/MBA program.

I'd like to use the MBA to speed up my career opportunities and get into high-level hospital administration so I can practice medicine and management as a physician-executive, since a lot of my current clinical research and shadowing exp revolves around quality care improvement, hospital resource optimization, and patient/physician satisfaction. I know that there are a bunch of physicians who seek these positions without any business degrees, but I prefer to have formal business education and training under my belt.

Anyways, I'm fully aware that NYIT has an MBA program that doesn't carry much prestige- I'm just asking for some info on the combined program. Most of the other programs I've applied to have course curriculums mapped out with year-by-year breakdowns of MD and MBA courses, and added tuition expenditures. NYCOM's the first school I've applied to that doesn't give any of this info upfront. If the program doesn't seem appealing or feasible, then yeah- I'll look into an MMM or MHA degree after residency.

To AD28- nah, I was accepted to NYCOM during winter break, not recently off the waitlist.

Last edited: