NYCPM Class of 2018: January Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BCAA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I want to apply to the january class. Is it too late? I am planning on handing in my application tonight.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted my app for January yesterday, they had also already gotten all my transcripts. So, I hope it's not too late

Did NYCPM start interviewing fall applicants yet or just Jan class?
For Jan applicants, what made you apply for the earlier class?

Did NYCPM start interviewing fall applicants yet or just Jan class?
For Jan applicants, what made you apply for the earlier class?
They're interviewing both Fall and January applicants already. I applied because of the advantage of starting out with a lighter course load, it gives you a couple terms to get accustomed to Podiatry school before you get hit hard with a ton of work.

Looks like we'll be taking Immunology with Anatomy come January 6th. From talking to the student ambassadors they seem to all say enjoy any time off while we can and I think I'll follow that advice, will any of you start reviewing material before classes begin?

Looks like we'll be taking Immunology with Anatomy come January 6th. From talking to the student ambassadors they seem to all say enjoy any time off while we can and I think I'll follow that advice, will any of you start reviewing material before classes begin?
I wont. I'll be finishing up my job at the end of november, and tI'll ry to move in as soon as possible to get as used to city life as I can...I've been living in a small town for 2 years...

I wont. I'll be finishing up my job at the end of november, and tI'll ry to move in as soon as possible to get as used to city life as I can...I've been living in a small town for 2 years...
Yeah I'll only have my last final of undergrad on December 21st so with only a couple weeks off I'll definitely just be trying to rest my mind. Where are you from? I've lived in NYC for twenty years now, what did you think of the city when you visited?

Yeah I'll only have my last final of undergrad on December 21st so with only a couple weeks off I'll definitely just be trying to rest my mind. Where are you from? I've lived in NYC for twenty years now, what did you think of the city when you visited?
I'm from a lot of places...but I did go to highschool in long island so I'm pretty familiar with NYC. I lived in Chicago for college, so I'm used to living in a city. But, for 2 years I've been in Madison, Wisconsin. It's been extremely comfortable here, and my life here has 0 obstacles (lol). It's very slow paced, everything is cheap, etc. It is however, an uneventful place to live. I think that NYC will be much more exciting, things will be faster, and daily life will be harder...

How are we going to be taking out loans for this upcoming semester? Have you applied for FAFSA? I have no idea how this is going to work out...I haven't received the letters yet in the mail--Do we get in touch with the financial aid department?

How are we going to be taking out loans for this upcoming semester? Have you applied for FAFSA? I have no idea how this is going to work out...I haven't received the letters yet in the mail--Do we get in touch with the financial aid department?
One of my best friends just finished four years of undergrad at Madison (University of Wisconsin), says compared to New Yorkers you guys are some of the nicest people he's met. Yeah I applied for FAFSA, make sure when you do to designate the school code for NYCPM. When you get the acceptance letter packet in the mail there will be a financial aid application with instructions. You just need need to fill out that form, check off the type of loan you want to apply for, and I'm sure you can send the packet in to them by mail, but yeah just contact financial aid to find out for sure. I'll hand mine in with the deposit Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my best friends just finished four years of undergrad at Madison (University of Wisconsin), says compared to New Yorkers you guys are some of the nicest people he's met. Yeah I applied for FAFSA, make sure when you do to designate the school code for NYCPM. When you get the acceptance letter packet in the mail there will be a financial aid application with instructions. You just need need to fill out that form, check off the type of loan you want to apply for, and I'm sure you can send the packet in to them by mail, but yeah just contact financial aid to find out for sure. I'll hand mine in with the deposit Friday.
Contacting financial aid now...We have 14 days to decide...for me this started from October 9th and I just got the mail today :0. **** is gettin' real.

As long as I can find someone to lease my apartment for the remainder of the school year, I'll be able to join you in a few months...

I have no idea what type of loans to apply for!! Holy hell I have a lot of reading to do in a short amount of time.

Contacting financial aid now...We have 14 days to decide...for me this started from October 9th and I just got the mail today :0. **** is gettin' real.

As long as I can find someone to lease my apartment for the remainder of the school year, I'll be able to join you in a few months...

I have no idea what type of loans to apply for!! Holy hell I have a lot of reading to do in a short amount of time.
There are only a couple loans we can chose from, I applied for a Direct Unsubsidized Loan and a Health Professions Student Loan.

Just got my MCAT score today, got a 24, and am planning to apply for the Jan class. Stats are cGPA ~3.1 and sGPA ~2.9. Do you guys think it is too late to apply for the Jan class? Or if my stats are too low to apply this late?

Just got my MCAT score today, got a 24, and am planning to apply for the Jan class. Stats are cGPA ~3.1 and sGPA ~2.9. Do you guys think it is too late to apply for the Jan class? Or if my stats are too low to apply this late?
Just do it, you don't have much to lose--worst case scenario is that you will be considered for the fall class, which you would have had to do anyway.

Definitely not too late, give it a try. Just make sure you come prepared to the interview to prove to them that though your sGPA is a bit low, you're confident that you can handle the rigorous curriculum of Podiatry School.

There are only a couple loans we can chose from, I applied for a Direct Unsubsidized Loan and a Health Professions Student Loan.

I did the same.

Do you guys have any clue where we can download books for the first classes?
We need:

General Anatomy & Lab
Immunology

I did the same.

Do you guys have any clue where we can download books for the first classes?
We need:

General Anatomy & Lab
Immunology
I know for anatomy we need Gray's Anatomy Student Edition, but I was talking to a student ambassador I met during the lunch portion of the interview and she said most people get the Netters anatomy atlas as well as a compliment. For immunology I'm not even sure what the required text is, but I guess we'll find out when the syllabus is released. I haven't confirmed this with the school, but I read several places on SDN that the ipad mini we'll be issued comes preloaded with textbooks and other references we'd find useful.

Found a subletter for my apartment so:

a) see you soon! :).

b) Are you doing the NYCPM housing via heritage? When is the start date for that apartment?

c) Has Eve Traube (financial aid person) been responsive to your e-mails? I'm trying to submit all the financial documents by friday and have never filled out FAFSA before or taken out a loan..so I'm very clueless but rapidly trying to fix the situation.

d) I'm excited :).

Found a subletter for my apartment so:

a) see you soon! :).

b) Are you doing the NYCPM housing via heritage? When is the start date for that apartment?

c) Has Eve Traube (financial aid person) been responsive to your e-mails? I'm trying to submit all the financial documents by friday and have never filled out FAFSA before or taken out a loan..so I'm very clueless but rapidly trying to fix the situation.

d) I'm excited :).
Awesome! I'm quite excited as well, though enjoying not having to worry about studying 5 hours a day yet. Actually I live like an hour drive away, nearly 2 hours by public transportation, so I think for now at least I'll save myself some money and just stay at home. I actually haven't tried contacting her, but I'm sure she'd respond to you as soon as possible. I could imagine how hectic her email looks right now. If anything just call them and talk it over with someone. I'm planning to submit all my financial aid papers to the college on Friday.

Sending in all the documents today. I was trying to see if I could access any of the web stuff since we already have a student ID assigned. I'm just too excited to get access to everything, and I want that iPad mini!

Sending in all the documents today. I was trying to see if I could access any of the web stuff since we already have a student ID assigned. I'm just too excited to get access to everything, and I want that iPad mini!
Today I'm mailing my tuition deposit and housing form.

Can't believe in 2 months I'm leaving the cow pastures of wisconsin for new york city...

That sounds so peaceful! We're close to the park though so we have a little bit of greenery. I'm considering a jogging schedule or something to keep active.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Also I'm interested in the mph program. How do I sign up for it?

-From my interview, I learned that if we are interested in the MPH, I think we talk to the dean, Lisa Lee, and express our interest. I think you should send her an email to explain you are interested talk through her. Eventaully, NYCPM will write a letter on your behalf to Mt. Sinai to accept you into their MPH class.

-I'll be signing up for a gym because I need to lift everyday. I think New York Sports Club.

I just sent her an email. I can't commit to a gym because I'm very erratic when it comes to working out. Sometimes I get pumped and do a good amount of work then I don't do it for a month. I guess it's good we have that little gym so I can use it when I feel like it.

Does anyone know any external scholarships someone can apply for? NYCPM barely gave me a scholarship. Is anyone also interested in working at NYCPM. I was thinking about being involved in some research there.. Does anyone know the name of the anatomy book? I was planning to order it from amazon, i think it is allowed, right?

Does anyone know any external scholarships someone can apply for? NYCPM barely gave me a scholarship. Is anyone also interested in working at NYCPM. I was thinking about being involved in some research there.. Does anyone know the name of the anatomy book? I was planning to order it from amazon, i think it is allowed, right?
I ended up declining the offer :(.

Good luck guys. You will kick ass!!

The anatomy book is Gray's Anatomy, 2nd edition, but I know a lot of students end up getting the Netters Anatomy Atlas as well as a supplement, I'll get both from amazon. Instead of research I really wanna get involved with one or two of the clubs from the start. Maybe research once I get a couple semesters through with.

And good luck to you as well! Don't look back...so DO it is?
yeah..not an easy decision by any means though. I think DPM is awesome and so is nycpm. Enjoy your time there, and, yes, see you on the other side :).

Interviewing for the January class on Nov 7! For those that interviewed already how many other ppl interviewed with you on that day?

The anatomy book is Gray's Anatomy, 2nd edition, but I know a lot of students end up getting the Netters Anatomy Atlas as well as a supplement, I'll get both from amazon. Instead of research I really wanna get involved with one or two of the clubs from the start. Maybe research once I get a couple semesters through with.

What do you do at clubs? Is it useful, meaning performing activities that can "looks good" on ur resume? I was looking at research bec "it looks good on ur resume and u make couple of bucks. But ur RIGHT, i think research should not be taken in your first year, since i have no knowledge and not useful

Thanks for ur help!!

Last edited:
So where are most of us living? I'm pushing the deadline for the student housing and I'm looking to see if anyone is needing a roommate potentially for the upcoming semester.

Thanks a lot. I am starting in Jan so i will have anatomy+laband immunology. DO you think they will be hard to start with?

Thanks, and what do you think a high gpa is? I mean what gpa you need to be in the top 10% or 25% from your experience?

Anatomy and immunology are some of the harder courses we have. That being said, you should not have a problem getting through those courses. The benefit of being in the January program is that you get to ease in to the full course load. The people you will be taking those courses with are taking those two classes in addition to the rest of the normal course load. If they can do it, you will be just fine. It will be nice for you in the future. You will have much more time to study since you have one less class to take each semester. Focus, study hard, and you'll do great!

Has anyone heard about what books we need for our classes? I've been trying to find out via the internet and other places and I have come up with no luck. I saw someone post earlier about needing Grey's Anatomy Student Edition for anatomy but what about immunology? Have the syllabi been released yet?

One of the students there said that usually the upper class gives the lower class, which is us in this case, there previous materials which includes, books, materials etc. So i will not buy anything yet until i go to school.

By the end of your 2nd year, which is when most of your gpa is set, I would say anywhere in the 3.4-3.5 range will bring you within the top 25% of your class. Of course this will vary with each graduating class depending on their performance. In regards to books, we do hand down notes and various study guides. Though I rarely hear of someone give a book to someone. Most of the time the upperclassmen sell the books to the underclassmen. Sometimes it will be cheaper than getting it online, but sometimes people think their books are made of gold. Regardless, you will need the books for both anatomy and immunology in my opinion. Both of those classes are not really slide based.
Thanks a lot for sharing that. SO based on your experience, what do you think the best activity we should be involved in as a freshman. Is it clubs, research etc?

I just received an email today stating that we need to purchase PrepU ANATOMY" is that important. Will it make a lot of difference? and can you please send us any links from amazon, ebay, etc or tell us the requirements that are needed in a dissection kit. He only said that a rat tooth forceps is required but said nothing else.

Last edited:
Where did you buy the dissection kit? I can't find ones online that have all of your listing into one kit. I can't find the rat tooth included in a dissection kit online. And for the anatomy book,where did you get yours? He wants us to read chapter 1 by Jan7, which is our first day. I heard that upperclassman sells their materials to us at a very low price but i cant wait until then. Its about $40 dollars online, you think that is the cheapest place to get it?

I remember the PrepU questions being pretty helpful. It wasn't required when I took anatomy so this might be something new that they require. But prepU was nice because you can monitor your progression in the material. In regards to the dissection kits, I'm not sure why he said rat tooth forceps is only required. When my group and I did our dissections we used our rat tooths, scalpels, probe, blunt scissors, and sharp scissors. I think it would be smart to purchase a kit containing all of those items. You will also be using them in your lower extremity anatomy course so it's worth it to buy everything you need. You might want to wait though. There are 6 people per table. You will only need 1 or 2 max dissection kits per table. You can discuss with your group and split the cost of the dissection kit if you would like, but sometimes it's nice to have your own kit for the times you decide to go to open lab hours on your own.

So what do u think of Dr. Antoni. Easy? hard? serious? Cool? actually wants to help u? What would you say is important to know about him and his tests based upon ur experience? Powerpoints? notes? books?

I bought all of my materials and books from the Columbia University book store. There they have a section dedicated to NYCPM with all of our books. You can also pick up a dissection kit there. I would give them a call and see if they have what you need in stock, and pick it up if you want your books now. As of pricing, I'm not sure. $40 for Gray's anatomy student edition does seem pretty reasonable though.

I will take ur advice and purchase it soon. I also need your advice on the dissection kit. These is one i found online, and in need of your advice. Do you think that "Dissecting Needles Straight & Curved, Iris Micro Surgical Scissors, Operating Scissors, Halsted Mosquito Forceps, 1 Adson Forceps, 1 Surgical Probe, 1 Micro Graefe Forceps Curved, 1 Micro Graefe Forceps Straight, #3 Scalpel Handle, #4 Scalpel Handle, 2 Each #10 & #22 Scalpel Blades". IS good to buy? CAN you please send me an amazon link of the best dissection that you know i will need for 4 years? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR VALUABLE TIME AND ASSISTANCE!!!!!!!

I will take ur advice and purchase it soon. I also need your advice on the dissection kit. These is one i found online, and in need of your advice. Do you think that "Dissecting Needles Straight & Curved, Iris Micro Surgical Scissors, Operating Scissors, Halsted Mosquito Forceps, 1 Adson Forceps, 1 Surgical Probe, 1 Micro Graefe Forceps Curved, 1 Micro Graefe Forceps Straight, #3 Scalpel Handle, #4 Scalpel Handle, 2 Each #10 & #22 Scalpel Blades". IS good to buy? CAN you please send me an amazon link of the best dissection that you know i will need for 4 years? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR VALUABLE TIME AND ASSISTANCE!!!!!!!

You will not use your dissection kit after the anatomy labs, as you cannot use cadaver instruments in non-cadaver situations. Only 2 people in your lab group need dissections kits, so if you're that worried about which one to get hold off and see what you need. You may just need to supply some surgical blades, which you can order online anywhere at a pretty cheap price. DO NOT BUY THE DISSECTOR BOOK. Dr. D'Antoni will make a big deal about how you need the book and it is essential, but it's really a waste of money and you will probably never look at it. If you do get a dissector/atlas, look through a couple and find one with good figures, as they will become essential when you are studying for your practical during sequestration. As for lecture, definitely invest in the Gray's Anatomy REVIEW book. The amazon searching is your job.

Reactions: 1 user