NYCPM Commute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podsquad24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on commuting to/from NYCPM (about 1-1.5hr commute)? I am not sure whether getting an apt would be the best or a commute is doable while doing well in school. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Apologies if there has been a thread like this before, I personally didn't find one.

Members don't see this ad.

I used to live in New Jersey and commuted about 1.5 hr each way to my job in New York. I loved my job but that commute was miserable. And when I came home at night I didn't have to study or bring my work with me.

I think you can save a lot of money trying to commute from so far, but I do not think it's worth it if you are always tired (which you will be anyways minus the commute) and if it affects your grades.

If this is your first year, I'd say get an apartment close by and test the waters. If you can handle the courseload and more then maybe second year and on you can do the commute and save.

There are people though that commute from Long Island or NJ (about 1-2 hours each way) are doing just fine.
If you're not from the area, then I would also say to get an APT nearby the school and see how things go the first term.

Members don't see this ad :)
I met someone who was commuting from long island to stay at home. She said that she could probably keep it up for the first 3 semesters maybe but the second year second semester might be hard. She would also find herself at the bridges on the weekend anyway to study with classmates so that is even more days of going over there.

I currently commute from LI and it is NOT fun. Its ok if you don't have to go in everyday, but once you have to go in 5 or more days a week, it really drains you. I thought I'd be able to use the 3-4 hour total roundtrip commute to get work done but honestly, I'm just tired at that point and the entire commute turns out to be a complete waste of time. What pushed me over to finally getting an apartment close to school was the fact that the commute was definitely impacting my grades. Maybe not a drastic amount but enough for it to be noticeable.