NYCPM or Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckjets

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into both. Temple gave me a $6000 scholarship, NYCPM non, hence they both cost the same for me due to the scholarship. Clinical experience seemed much better at NYCPM, tons of patients, I heard Temple's was also amazing clinically, but was totally empty when I interviewed. NYCPM is renovating, Temple promises it will (anatomy labs are currently so much better at NYCPM). I like that Temple is part of a major health network. I am afraid that NYCPM is so small it will crash one day, and there is nothing worse than to graduated from a crashing school (Let me know if this is paranoia)
I have $12,000 easy part time job in NY which I will have to let go of if I go to Temple, but I a more about the education than about the money which will pay back someday in my life. I grew up in NY and found Philly to be a similar style of life... I might be wrong...... PLEASE HELP

Members don't see this ad.

I've been in practice for quite a while and I've been involved with training students and residents for over 20 years. I've been exposed to students, residents, externs and graduates sitting for the board certification process, and if given a choice between those two schools I would unequivocally pick Temple.

In my personal opinion, you will receive an overall higher quality education and the quality of the graduates has been higher and better prepared.

Although a state of the art anatomy lab is certainly impressive, the bottom line is that the cadaver still has to be dissected, you still have to know your anatomy and you still have to have good instructors. The rest is all "fluff" that enhances your experience. You can still come out of any anatomy lab fully prepared without all the bells and whistles, even though it would make it a little easier and/or pleasant.

Additionally, if you haven't visited both schools, that's definitely important.

Philly's a great town, but there's no place in the world that can ever be compared to NYC.