NYCPM or TUSPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaner123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've toured both NYCPM and TUSPM and found both to be decent with their facilities but I thought that TUSPM was in a better area of the city compared to Harlem. In terms of residency placement, experience throughout school, etc., which one is the better one to go to and why?

Members don't see this ad.

You can excel in both programs equally. I am biased, but NYCPM consistently has 100% residency placement (many residencies around NYC help). Experience is what you make of it, go with the school where you can see yourself in and thrive.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really comes down to tuspm's ipad vs nycpm's ipad mini.

Reactions: 4 users
You can excel in both programs equally. I am biased, but NYCPM consistently has 100% residency placement (many residencies around NYC help). Experience is what you make of it, go with the school where you can see yourself in and thrive.

Doesn't TUSPM have 100% residency placement? Can I get residency in the DC area? Can anyone speak to the housing around NYCPM?

I was really turned off by TUSPM's administrative side. They lost my interview confirmation and and were very rude over the phone when I asked for a confirmation email or anything to signify that I am actually on the books to interview there after the first incident. After signing up for another interview date, I ended up cancelling my file entirely when I received yet another email telling me that I needed to sign up for an interview date because they hadn't received any sort of response from me.

New York on the other hand was very friendly and always willing to answer questions. Personally I wouldn't trust a school to send out residency paperwork and other important documents pertaining to my career if they've shown themselves to be disorganized even at the very beginning with something as simple as this. Fix your front office please Temple. Speaking to other students during interviews, many had experienced the same exact problems.

Reactions: 1 user
I was really turned off by TUSPM's administrative side. They lost my interview confirmation and and were very rude over the phone when I asked for a confirmation email or anything to signify that I am actually on the books to interview there after the first incident. After signing up for another interview date, I ended up cancelling my file entirely when I received yet another email telling me that I needed to sign up for an interview date because they hadn't received any sort of response from me.

New York on the other hand was very friendly and always willing to answer questions. Personally I wouldn't trust a school to send out residency paperwork and other important documents pertaining to my career if they've shown themselves to be disorganized even at the very beginning with something as simple as this. Fix your front office please Temple. Speaking to other students during interviews, many had experienced the same exact problems.

Wow that is not good on the administrative side. I will definitely take this all into account. I think I would like New York City better because I mean, it's New York City! But seriously, I care about residency and NYCPM has a proven track record and Temple just seems like it has some flaws in its system. Thank you. Can you talk about living in NYC?

This!!! The admin was terrible at temple. That secretary was so rude. This happened to me last year when i tried to setup an interview there. I see it still has not changed.

NYCPM regularly places students at MedStar and Howard, as well as Inova across the river in Virginia and DVA-Maryland up in Baltimore.

Wow that's awesome to hear. Does Temple place residents there as well?

I agree with PatchAdams in that if you excel in either school and your externships, you should do fine for residency placement. Since I am a TUSPM alumni who is originally from NYC, I chose TUSPM over NYCPM because I did NOT want to do my residency training in NY due to the limited scope of practice for Podiatrist in NY at the time. TUSPM offerred me a better chance of getting residency training in Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey, where the scope of practice for Podiatrist are better. Of course, there are many NYCPM grads in NJ programs and a few in the PA programs. Since I have graduated from TUSPM (over 10 years ago), the scope of practice in NY has changed in the past few years to allow some Podiatrists (based on qualifications) to do ankle surgery, if the hospital bylaws permit it,