NYCPM question??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FRA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to NYCPM and it is my first priority. I have a question about the clinical work in NYCPM. Is it all cutting nails or do u get to experience diverse cases in the clinical work? Is it a good school to get into? Does it prepare u well? (I know u learn more from residency, but does it at least prepare u for residency?)

Members don't see this ad.

Do a quick search and you'll find the answers you're looking for.

Hi FRA,

From what I've read and heard, NYCPM is good if you want clinical experience. New York City has one of the most diverse populations around, which means you'll be exposed to a lot of different podiatric ailments. Aside from the clinical aspect, I haven't heard great things about NYCPM. You constantly hear on this forum that NYCPM takes anyone who applies; they need people to run the clinic, and they do this by volume. I've also heard that their facilities and basic sciences aren't that great, and the pass rates for the boards fall somewhere around average (mid 80 percent). It is in Harlem which is cause for alarm for some people, while others perfer its proximity to the city. Does it prepare you well? That's kinda the moral of the story from all of the "Podiatry School Ratings" threads, each experience is individual and you get out of it what you put into it. I'm sure if your head is in the right place, you'll come out fine anywhere you choose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi FRA,

From what I've read and heard, NYCPM is good if you want clinical experience. New York City has one of the most diverse populations around, which means you'll be exposed to a lot of different podiatric ailments. Aside from the clinical aspect, I haven't heard great things about NYCPM. You constantly hear on this forum that NYCPM takes anyone who applies; they need people to run the clinic, and they do this by volume. I've also heard that their facilities and basic sciences aren't that great, and the pass rates for the boards fall somewhere around average (mid 80 percent). It is in Harlem which is cause for alarm for some people, while others perfer its proximity to the city. Does it prepare you well? That's kinda the moral of the story from all of the "Podiatry School Ratings" threads, each experience is individual and you get out of it what you put into it. I'm sure if your head is in the right place, you'll come out fine anywhere you choose.

Been to NYCPM 2x and live close by. Overall, not very impressed and could not see myself as a student there. They keep talking about the clinic and thats pretty much the only thing I heard on my interview day. Other programs promote their class size, basic sciences, early clinicals, board scores, residency placements, etc. All I heard at NY was, "we are the only school with an on-site clinic" etc etc etc. It is an independent school too and not part of a university or medical college. From talking to some current students, heard some sketchy things about their administration and hospital rotations. The area surrounding the school is pretty blah, but most people don't seem to live in the immediate area (either parkchester apartments, draper dorm, elsewhere).

Some people may like it, some may it. Just not the place for me.

visited their campus numerous times and have the official interview this monday. Someone I went to college with is currently in his second year and loves it. I would much rather prefer Temple over NYC. Best of luck to you.

I'm applying to NYCPM and it is my first priority. I have a question about the clinical work in NYCPM. Is it all cutting nails or do u get to experience diverse cases in the clinical work? Is it a good school to get into? Does it prepare u well? (I know u learn more from residency, but does it at least prepare u for residency?)

Don't apply don't waste your energy
what everyone has said above me is 100% true
aim for better

Don't apply don't waste your energy
what everyone has said above me is 100% true
aim for better

uh oh, a back up podiatry student isn't happy in pod school? why the big turnaround in your opinion about NYCPM?

Been to NYCPM 2x and live close by. Overall, not very impressed and could not see myself as a student there. They keep talking about the clinic and thats pretty much the only thing I heard on my interview day. Other programs promote their class size, basic sciences, early clinicals, board scores, residency placements, etc. All I heard at NY was, "we are the only school with an on-site clinic" etc etc etc. It is an independent school too and not part of a university or medical college. From talking to some current students, heard some sketchy things about their administration and hospital rotations. The area surrounding the school is pretty blah, but most people don't seem to live in the immediate area (either parkchester apartments, draper dorm, elsewhere).

Some people may like it, some may it. Just not the place for me.

not the place for you because from what i have heard you were rejected x2

not the place for you because from what i have heard you were rejected x2

lol yea ok. That makes sense, cause gaining acceptance everywhere else but NYCPM. I thought Temple was the harvard of podiatry schools, not NY

Since I have had time to reflect over the past year and several months about my education from NYCPM I figured I should reply.

NYCPM like every other school gives you an opportunity to amass an education. If you want to be spoon fed medicine is not the field for you in general. At some point to be successful in medicine you will need to learn how to teach yourself and be motivated enough to actually do just that.

NYCPM has great clinical experience and I do not think that it comes from the school clinic. Most of the interesting cases will be on your NYC hospital rotations. You will do internal medicine, general surgery and podiatry clinic at varying NYC hospitals.

I managed to get a good education there, not everyone agrees that they did as well among the alumni.

If you are not a go getter, and will not take advantage of possible opportunities NYCPM might not be the best place for you.

Thanks for your perspective on your education at NY. I agree that your education is what you make of it. How is housing? I am looking to apply and I am concerned about finding safe and accessible housing. Thanks!

Thanks for your perspective on your education at NY. I agree that your education is what you make of it. How is housing? I am looking to apply and I am concerned about finding safe and accessible housing. Thanks!

You will be fine. People cause all the hype about "harlem being a bad area" and it's really not that bad. As they will explain to you when you go into interview, there are newly rennovated luxury appartments right down the street from NYCPM. If you choose to live out of the area, the bus could drop you off at 125th, which is right near the college. Or, you could always choose to have a car if you want. You'll be fine buddy :thumbup:

You will be fine. People cause all the hype about "harlem being a bad area" and it's really not that bad. As they will explain to you when you go into interview, there are newly rennovated luxury appartments right down the street from NYCPM. If you choose to live out of the area, the bus could drop you off at 125th, which is right near the college. Or, you could always choose to have a car if you want. You'll be fine buddy :thumbup:

Car in the city? That's a waste IMO, especially with the amazing public transit. He/she would have fun paying + finding parking spots!

Considering apartments, those luxury apartments near the school are probably a fortune (even if its in harlem). The school has some apartments in Parkchester (Bronx) that are quite spacious and fully furnished. I stayed with a buddy in one and it was quite nice. You also have the option of Draper Hall at metropolitan hospital...a single dorm-like room but again, you dont pay for utilities. Draper Hall is also closer to downtown and I believe there is a shuttle bus to and from NYCPM.

I lived in Queens in Astoria and took the subway to school for the 1st 2 years. Then I moved to the south bronx and took the bus, the train, walked or rode my bike to school. It was one stop on the train.

I also had a car for those 4 years.

I do not recomend a car if living in NYC proper but the other bourroughs - it is nice to have a car.

I lived in Queens in Astoria and took the subway to school for the 1st 2 years. Then I moved to the south bronx and took the bus, the train, walked or rode my bike to school. It was one stop on the train.

I also had a car for those 4 years.

I do not recomend a car if living in NYC proper but the other bourroughs - it is nice to have a car.

Lisa Lee spoke highly of you ;) (I just had my interview on the 30th)
Overall impression: surpassed my expectations. NOT nearly as bad as I had heard. PS- Everyone recommended Astoria, do you know anyone who lived on the UES/UWS? How did they like it?

Lisa Lee spoke highly of you ;) (I just had my interview on the 30th)
Overall impression: surpassed my expectations. NOT nearly as bad as I had heard. PS- Everyone recommended Astoria, do you know anyone who lived on the UES/UWS? How did they like it?

I love that Lady!

Either the UES or UWS are fine. Just pricey.

I love that Lady!

Either the UES or UWS are fine. Just pricey.

She was AWESOME! Same goes for the 3rd years. Dr Volpe...he was something else. LOL. Overall impression was good though :thumbup:

Thanks! Can you recommend any good websites for finding housing or would it be better to go into the city and scout out a place?

Thanks! Can you recommend any good websites for finding housing or would it be better to go into the city and scout out a place?

craigslist

most places in NYC go thru a broker it is different than finding an apartment anywhere else.

Good Luck and try to talk to current NYCPM students about finding an apartment, they would be the most help.