NYHA classification systems and others for Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack P

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was wondering if classification systems like the NYHA functional classification system or Framingham Heart Failure classification have shown up on board exams? Here's hoping not.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't have those but did have a question about staging a tumor. I was asked to stage an ovarian or uterine tumor, I can't remember which.

Okay...I can imagine the expectation of FAB staging or Dukes staging, etc but I came across a question in Kaplan about the CDC "staging" criteria for HIV (A1, B3, C2) etc which brought up the awful fear of all the different clinical staging criteria that exist (Framingham, NYHA, Canadian, Kilips, Gold COPD, British thoracic, etc etc etc) when I have enough trouble remembering the difference between M3 or M6 leukemias. Ah well...it's just another exam...

Hello... I have a question about NYHA heart failure classification. If someone has orthopnea and should use 3 pillows if he wants to sleep but just have slight limitation of physical activity, which functional class is it? thank you.