NYHQ / Cornell University Medical College Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrIM

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Every one

I would like to know about Internal Medicine Residency at
"New York Hospital Queens / Cornell University Medical College Program"

is it a reputed program? how you will rate it?

can you compare to any other program in the city (NYC)

I will appreciate your feed back

DrIM

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know too much about it besides the fact that it seems to have a good rep among internists and what I gathered from my med school interview there a couple of years ago. Besides being in an awesome location (manhattan), they also have nice subsidized housing for the residents (I think that rent was only 450 a month a couple of years ago, compared with 1,000-2,000 for single bedroom apartments in the surrounding area). For those reasons, I plan to apply there next year and I suspect that I will rank it highly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ckent
Besides being in an awesome location (manhattan)

NYHQ is New York Hospital of Queens - I think this is the former Booth Memorial Hospital. Cornell and Mt. Sinai have been fighting back and forth to affiliate so many hospitals in Queens. Mt. Sinai - Queens is the former Astoria General.

It seems ckent got NYHQ mixed up with NYH in Manhattan.

I agree NYH is located in a great part of Manhattan, upper east side. NYHQ, on the other hand, is located in Flushing, Queens, which is in a ethnicly-diverse suburban location.

I don't know a whole lot about their program, though from what I hear it is probably one of the better IM residency programs in Queens. There aren't many IM programs in Queens to begin with and I don't think you can really compare these program to the University Programs in Manhattan. It's like comparing apples to oranges. However NYHQ is a level I trauma center and if you are interested in cards, I heard they have interventional cardiology there. Supposedly most of the categorical IM residents are foreign grads and prelims interns are mainly US grads.

Whoops, didn't read the original posters question carefully. I was referring to the new york hospital in Manhattan, by the medical school.

Actually, ckent is correct--many of Cornell's residency programs are affiliated with New York Hospital Queens. Thus, New York Hospital--technically New York Presbyterian Hospital post-merge with Columbia--and New York Hospital Queens are part of the same program.

I'm a third year student at Cornell, so I'm not up on the intricacies of the residency program at this point, but I do know that many of the residents (ob-gyn comes to mind) do rotations at both hospitals. So the resident pool at each place is the same, although the character of the two institutions is drastically different (queens is much more laid back, at least from a student perspective).

Hope this helps! :)

How is the overall reputation of the program within medical circles, because I have to go for Subspecialty later

Thank you