NYMC acceptance percentage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdizzy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have data on the number of interviews, number of acceptances, and number of matriculants (for instate and out of state) that NYMC gives out?

Much Love.

Members don't see this ad.

Fall 2007 Admissions Statistics
Total admissions data 8319 applied, 1349 interviewed, 669 were accepted, 195 enrolled

In-state admissions data 1567 applied, 313 interviewed, 166 were accepted, 50 enrolled

Out-state admissions data 6752 applied, 1036 interviewed, 503 were accepted, 145 enrolled

Women admissions data 4191 applied, 706 interviewed, 391 were accepted, 110 enrolled

Minor admissions data 3704 applied, 550 interviewed, 263 were accepted, 80 enrolled

International admissions data 322 applied, 26 interviewed, 9 were accepted, 5 enrolled

Does anyone have data on the number of interviews, number of acceptances, and number of matriculants (for instate and out of state) that NYMC gives out?

Much Love.

If nobody posts it for you, check the US News Med School book at Barne's & Noble's or somewhere.

I believe they take about 1/2 of OOS interviewees.

But the place is a dump and the roof-top anatomy lab with windows that they boast so much about might as well be in the basement because the windows are opaque and too high for anyone to see out of.

Members don't see this ad :)
If nobody posts it for you, check the US News Med School book at Barne's & Noble's or somewhere.

I believe they take about 1/2 of OOS interviewees.

But the place is a dump and the roof-top anatomy lab with windows that they boast so much about might as well be in the basement because the windows are opaque and too high for anyone to see out of.

On the contrary, I was relatively impressed with NYMC. It's not my top choice, but I'd be happy going there. To each his own I guess.

I agree. Quite impressed by the school in general. I was particularly impressed by the location. It's close enough to Manhattan to shoot over there on a whim, but not close enough to be a constant distraction.

On the contrary, I was relatively impressed with NYMC. It's not my top choice, but I'd be happy going there. To each his own I guess.

thanks for all the help, i have an interview in december 3.8/29Q but its my only one so far, complete in august with an old mcat at 20 schools, rejected at 2, holds at 4, but i took the august mcat whose scores didn't come out till september so maybe that had something to do with the delay

thanks for all the help, i have an interview in december 3.8/29Q but its my only one so far, complete in august with an old mcat at 20 schools, rejected at 2, holds at 4, but i took the august mcat whose scores didn't come out till september so maybe that had something to do with the delay

I did not get a good vibe at my NYMC interview. When preparing for it, don't try to focus on "why NYMC?" They are all about your research and EC's, so be prepared to present that well. They also ask about publications. It is also important to have a strong "why medicine" response.

I did not get a good vibe at my NYMC interview. When preparing for it, don't try to focus on "why NYMC?" They are all about your research and EC's, so be prepared to present that well. They also ask about publications. It is also important to have a strong "why medicine" response.

depends on who interviews you, really.

the only question i was really directly asked was "why NYMC?"

I told the interviewer that I didn't really know "why NYMC," before I came, but that I was comfortable now that I was on the campus and that I could see myself spending two-to-four years there.

I really don't give much value to why I *think* I want to go to a school before I visit it. I used to, until I realized that no book or website can communicate the essence or "feeling" of a school. There has been little or no correlation, in my experience, between how much I expect to like a school and how much I end up actually liking it once I've walked around and seen how they do business.

... I then asked the NYMC interviewer, "So, you've read about me (no #'s, but experiences) and now that you've spoken with me, let me ask you: why me?"

... I then asked the NYMC interviewer, "So, you've read about me (no #'s, but experiences) and now that you've spoken with me, let me ask you: why me?"

:wow: No you didn't!

I swear on everything I love I did. I don't see how it is unreasonable or pompous to ask the same question that is being asked of me? They are filling a class of a couple hundred. I'm choosing the one medical school I get to go to for my entire life. Who's making the bigger investment? Who should be asking the harder questions?

They ask the question because they want to accept students that are confident that they want to be there.

I ask the question because I want to go to a school that is confident that it believes in my potential, my values -- in me.

Were I an interviewer or ADCOM, I'd want a body of students who insisted on being known - and knowing themselves - as more than numbers.

:wow: No you didn't!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I swear on everything I love I did. I don't see how it is unreasonable or pompous to ask the same question that is being asked of me? They are filling a class of a couple hundred. I'm choosing the one medical school I get to go to for my entire life. Who's making the bigger investment? Who should be asking the harder questions?

They ask the question because they want to accept students that are confident that they want to be there.

I ask the question because I want to go to a school that is confident that it believes in my potential, my values -- in me.

Were I an interviewer or ADCOM, I'd want a body of students who insisted on being known - and knowing themselves - as more than numbers.

Good for you! Seriously!

When did you interview and have you heard back from them????

NYMC says not to expect any word until about 10 weeks after your interview.

I really liked the campus and atmosphere when I was there, and could definitely see myself there. However, their interviews are ridiculous. I understand it's a blind interview, but I don't really see the relevance in reciting my entire AMCAS application to my interviewer. In fact, on the sheet the interviewer has there's a question prompt that reads, "Did he/she stay with a student host?" The interviewer actually wrote down my answer. Is their decision to accept/reject me going to be based on where I decided to sleep? I tried my best to steer the conversation to places where I would be able to highlight my unique qualities and achievements, but the interviewer would simply have none of it.

Summary: Great school. Bad interview format.

NYMC says not to expect any word until about 10 weeks after your interview.

I really liked the campus and atmosphere when I was there, and could definitely see myself there. However, their interviews are ridiculous. I understand it's a blind interview, but I don't really see the relevance in reciting my entire AMCAS application to my interviewer. In fact, on the sheet the interviewer has there's a question prompt that reads, "Did he/she stay with a student host?" The interviewer actually wrote down my answer. Is their decision to accept/reject me going to be based on where I decided to sleep? I tried my best to steer the conversation to places where I would be able to highlight my unique qualities and achievements, but the interviewer would simply have none of it.

Summary: Great school. Bad interview format.

i was wondering about the "did you stay with a student host" question, but my interview told me they like to know that because people who stay with a student host are much more likely to matriculate based on past classes. so i guess they're probably trying to accept people who they think will actually go there, but i hope it doesnt play any part in whether or not youre accepted.

i was wondering about the "did you stay with a student host" question, but my interview told me they like to know that because people who stay with a student host are much more likely to matriculate based on past classes. so i guess they're probably trying to accept people who they think will actually go there, but i hope it doesnt play any part in whether or not youre accepted.
LOL. I hope that's not true, but I'm sure it is. Utterly ridiculous if that's the case.

Studies have shown that students with higher MCATs tend to do better during the first year. Time to change admissions standards to be dependent solely on MCAT!

LOL. I hope that's not true, but I'm sure it is. Utterly ridiculous if that's the case.

Studies have shown that students with higher MCATs tend to do better during the first year. Time to change admissions standards to be dependent solely on MCAT!

haha i completely agree with the "utterly ridiculous" part

When I interviewed there last year I didn't catch a specific question on my interviewer's sheet about that, but I was asked. I had stayed with one, and he just smiled and said "good, we find that people who stay with student hosts are twice as likely to attend."

When I interviewed there last year I didn't catch a specific question on my interviewer's sheet about that, but I was asked. I had stayed with one, and he just smiled and said "good, we find that people who stay with student hosts are twice as likely to attend."

haha uh oh..... i didn't stay with a student host.

I wish I would have known that beforehand. I wouldn't have wasted precious dime on gas and a hotel just to be discriminated against because I like peace, quiet, and focus before a big interview.

I wish I would have known that beforehand. I wouldn't have wasted precious dime on gas and a hotel just to be discriminated against because I like peace, quiet, and focus before a big interview.

Seriously...I didn't stay with a host either because I wasn't going to get into the area until 11 pm the night before. That would be screwed up if they discriminated.

I think you guys might be missing the point. I don't think they're judging your commitment/interest in the school based on whether you stayed with someone. They just seem interested in finding out how student-hosting affects interviewees' decisions.

He wasn't saying "we accept people twice as much if you stayed with a host." He was saying that people who stay with student hosts and end up being accepted (two presumably unrelated things) have a higher likelihood of actually deciding on NYMC vs. another school they might get into. More of an observation than a criterion.

My interviewer told me: "In our own studies, we've found that the strongest predictor of a student's interest in NYMC [as inferred by likelihood of attending if accepted] is whether or not they stay with a student host when they interview here."

I interviewed on the 27th of October. I haven't heard a word and don't expect to until the middle of December at the soonest.

My interview date was 10/22, and they told us 10-12 weeks. That puts decision time for me during the first couple weeks of January, but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't hear back until even later because of all of the upcoming holidays.

What was their answer to "why me?" I don't even see how your interviewer could have one since they are blinded.

I'm glad that other people felt the same way about the interviews. I felt like they didn't really have much of a chance to get to know me. Maybe they just want to know that you are not a freak.

They didn't ask me if I stayed with a student host--I didn't.

Cadaver lab windows were perfectly clear to me. Maybe they just needed to get them cleaned the day you went.

He wasn't saying "we accept people twice as much if you stayed with a host." He was saying that people who stay with student hosts and end up being accepted (two presumably unrelated things) have a higher likelihood of actually deciding on NYMC vs. another school they might get into. More of an observation than a criterion.

While this is logically correct, schools also don't want to waste acceptances on people that they don't believe will attend. Realistically, this kind of information could influence an interviewer's recommendation.