NYMC Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Labslave said:
Nope. Not true. NYMC accepted about 600 people last year. Even more competitive/attractive schools like Stanford and Harvard have to accept more than their class size in order to ensure their class will get filled.

Right... I understand that they end up accepting 600 people to fill their class, the waitlist is where the extra 420 or so spots come from.

Members don't see this ad.

CalBoi82 said:
Right... I understand that they end up accepting 600 people to fill their class, the waitlist is where the extra 420 or so spots come from.
Nope. I was personally told by the dean of admissions at UMich that they were going to be accepting about 340 people UP FRONT to fill their class. The previous year, they accepted 375 up front and ended up having like 7 more people accepting their offers than they could fit in their class! Hence the reduction in the number of people initially accepted.

All schools do this. Someone else help me out here!

Yeah the schools do tend to overaccept, by how much I do not know

Members don't see this ad :)
bluelotus1214 said:
The typical amount is 2 x Class size.

bluelotus1214 said:
USNews has the numbers of acceptances (but these are the waitlist #s, too).
If you want to know the #s for any schools in particular just ask.
Last year at NYMC 7065 applied, 1310 were interviewed, 682 were accepted and 185 matriculated.

benfolds21 said:
so i called...and yet they told me to check online....i tried to explain the situation...but they said they couldn't tell me anything...

i am hypothesizing maybe they only did SOME acceptance emails yesterday and more today? my last begins with a T...thats my theory...i dont know

Your theory doesnt seem too supported right now. Anyone get anything today?

CalBoi82 said:
According to US News, last year they interviewed 1,310, accepted 682 and 185 enrolled.

Okay, out of curiosity, do you have the numbers for Drexel too?

CalBoi82 said:
According to US News, last year they interviewed 1,310, accepted 682 and 185 enrolled.

BasesofHumanity said:
Here you go:
(in the same order as above)
7,982/1,729/884/226

BasesofHumanity said:

Bases have u interviewed at NYMC and have you heard back yet? You too DesiredUsername?

BOBODR said:
Bases have u interviewed at NYMC and have you heard back yet?

Interviewed on the sixth and it's only been 2 weeks, so I have a very long time to go. Having said that, I interviewed at Drexel too and got a nice little rejection letter from them. Considering that NYMC and Drexel have very similar stats, I think this is going to be a rejection too. Plus, the interview did not go as well as some of my other ones.

Does anyone out there have an updated status page? And, has anybody gotten an actual snail mail? There are some schools (ie GW) that send emails to only some of the people who are accepted and then send snail letters to the rest. So, if you have not gotten an email (like myself), don't lose hope!

allisonbk said:
Does anyone out there have an updated status page? And, has anybody gotten an actual snail mail? There are some schools (ie GW) that send emails to only some of the people who are accepted and then send snail letters to the rest. So, if you have not gotten an email (like myself), don't lose hope!

hard but trying... when did you interview?

my status page says DECISION : stop looking at this freaking page 30 times a day.

Members don't see this ad :)
BOBODR said:
Bases have u interviewed at NYMC and have you heard back yet? You too DesiredUsername?
Haven't got any interviews yet, but I am holding out hope for a (very late) interview at NYMC and Drexel, among others.

BOBODR said:
hard but trying... when did you interview?

my status page says DECISION : stop looking at this freaking page 30 times a day.

I interviewed the last week of september. Mine says the same thing!

For those that have already been accepted does your decision thingy change??

Waiting and waiting

Interviewed Oct 17. Currently status page reads: Decision

My interview didn't go that great, so I could see a waitlist/rejection coming

bgreet said:
Interviewed Oct 17. Currently status page reads: Decision

My interview didn't go that great, so I could see a waitlist/rejection coming

So I guess we are all just waiting around for a rejection/waitlist....?

Anyone else who hasnt added anything to this thread been accepted or not heard? There are alot of people on the interview thread for Sept/October who havent chimed in here....

BOBODR said:
So I guess we are all just waiting around for a rejection/waitlist....?

Anyone else who hasnt added anything to this thread been accepted or not heard? There are alot of people on the interview thread for Sept/October who havent chimed in here....

No more waiting for me.....

I ineterviewed in early october and just got a waitlist. I hope they accept a lot of people off of the waitlist.

MDCali said:
I ineterviewed in early october and just got a waitlist. I hope they accept a lot of people off of the waitlist.

You got a waitlist via email or snail mail?!

so yeah ... waitlisted...my first waitlist...and this was my number one (unless i get into SUNY's MD/PhD then I use my power against NYMC...MWA HAHAHAHA) :( :( :( :( :( :(

still..i hate rejections and I count this as a pseudoquasirejection

i dunno nemore, it is so random i dont understand it

yah im one of those october interviewees who also hasnt heard back from NYMC. thought id add to the posting like everyone else has. i was hoping for an early "christmas gift", if u kno what i mean.

congrats to those who got your "gift". lucky bastards.

happy holidays yall,
-dl

MDCali said:
Snail mail
got a WL by snail. Didnt seem that bad though, seems like they will take people off throughout the year periodically (could be overly optimistic though). either way its better than rejection and it doesnt look like they accepted tons of people right off the bat (although SDN is a small sample size obviously)

So, sofar, what kind of stats have gotten acceptances and also waitlisted? Approximately.

Got the good ole waitlist but I withdrew since I really didn't wanna go there. My stats are in my mdapplicants profile in my sig.

I have a 3.5, 31S with very good extracurrics like publications, and tons of clinical care.

Wonder if they reject post interview or is everyone who interviews waitlisted?

BOBODR said:
I have a 3.5, 31S with very good extracurrics like publications, and tons of clinical care.

Wonder if they reject post interview or is everyone who interviews waitlisted?

In that case, all I can say is :scared:

I have a 32O with a 3.65 and amazing extra. currics, amazing research and LORs

I just hope they do this periodically and not in may...cause that would kill me

benfolds21 said:
I have a 32O with a 3.65 and amazing extra. currics, amazing research and LORs

I just hope they do this periodically and not in may...cause that would kill me
I felt like I had a good interview also... so not sure. Nice Benfolds, I dont wanna wait either. Not many people have chimed in... Bluelotus, Royita, whats the word?

Yeah my interview felt AMAZING after I left... (with Dr. Pravetz)

I know this sounds completely absurb...but I am gay and I referred to sexuality in my personal statement in one line. It is very small but its there and I know NYMC has had a lot of problems with sexuality lately...

Anyways, maybe I am just trying to find an excuse...no one else feels my hypothesis holds up. My parents kind of just laughed at me and my friend who goes to NYMC now says that they would definitely not discriminate because of that NOW. But........

It just makes me feel better haha

benfolds21 said:
Yeah my interview felt AMAZING after I left... (with Dr. Pravetz)

I know this sounds completely absurb...but I am gay and I referred to sexuality in my personal statement in one line. It is very small but its there and I know NYMC has had a lot of problems with sexuality lately...

Anyways, maybe I am just trying to find an excuse...no one else feels my hypothesis holds up. My parents kind of just laughed at me and my friend who goes to NYMC now says that they would definitely not discriminate because of that NOW. But........

It just makes me feel better haha
I doubt that had any effect. Plus you got an interview so its even less likely. Me,you, B-greet all got waitlisted and we all have good stats so who knows. We interviewed early so thats good. I have a feeling they waitlist alot in the beginning so they can keep accepting people all the way through April. I think if we show interest and what not we should be ok.... I hope.

BOBODR said:
I doubt that had any effect. Plus you got an interview so its even less likely. Me,you, B-greet all got waitlisted and we all have good stats so who knows. We interviewed early so thats good. I have a feeling they waitlist alot in the beginning so they can keep accepting people all the way through April. I think if we show interest and what not we should be ok.... I hope.

Thought this thread would be bumping today...

i got waitlisted today too :thumbdown:
i am also going to withdraw...

Pewl said:
I interviewed at the beginning of November, so I guess I'll have to wait another month.

is anyone interviweing in March? Does that mean that we have less chances and are competing for a smaller number of seats?

:eek:

Passion461 said:
is anyone interviweing in March? Does that mean that we have less chances and are competing for a smaller number of seats?

:eek:

Anytime you interview in March its going to be harder to get an outright acceptance as many if not all the spots will be taken....
Also most schools interview their higher ranked applicants earlier. So interviewing later if you had your application complete early may mean you are not as high on the list. It may also not mean that if you were complete late, the school is non-rolling, or some other circumstance.

Dont know about NYMC itself though..

Congrats to all those who got accepted. I am a current first year, and if any of you are considering coming feel free to PM me. I had multiple acceps also and picked here so if you want to hear why ask. Also, we do have a significant amount of movement of the waitlist, I'd say i know about 50 kids who got in off the waitlist, and im sure there are probably more. For the kids who interview in march, I'd personally think you're a little bit worse off, but we dont interview for waitlist ever (according to dean chiarieri, I work with admissions so I asked) so if you're being interviewed at any time, there is at least 1 seat open. Best of luck to those who are waitlisted.

BOBODR said:
Anytime you interview in March its going to be harder to get an outright acceptance as many if not all the spots will be taken....
Also most schools interview their higher ranked applicants earlier. So interviewing later if you had your application complete early may mean you are not as high on the list. It may also not mean that if you were complete late, the school is non-rolling, or some other circumstance.

Dont know about NYMC itself though..

boyz of 4d said:
Congrats to all those who got accepted. I am a current first year, and if any of you are considering coming feel free to PM me. I had multiple acceps also and picked here so if you want to hear why ask. Also, we do have a significant amount of movement of the waitlist, I'd say i know about 50 kids who got in off the waitlist, and im sure there are probably more. For the kids who interview in march, I'd personally think you're a little bit worse off, but we dont interview for waitlist ever (according to dean chiarieri, I work with admissions so I asked) so if you're being interviewed at any time, there is at least 1 seat open. Best of luck to those who are waitlisted.

NYMC still gives me a bit of an odd vibe. I don't understand how there could be such a lack of gym and recreational facility on campus! They keep touting the merits of the cathedral-like anatomy lab but I don't like how they seem to force everyone to do the scribe service =P

I interviewed in September and still waiting for an answer, pretty muching hoping for WL... When I interviewed there, they told us to send updates often. It forces them to pull up our files and review them, so that's my advice for everyone. I think we should definitely stay optimistic, I talked to a lot of students from there that got accepted off the waitlist :) I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone!

hi im also a first year- so feel free to PM me questions too or ask away here on this thread. To answer Pewl's thread- the scribe service is not mandatory. You don't have to participate in it if you don't want to subscribe to it. And yes there is a fitness center on campus with the laundry service. It's not state of the art but it definitely suits our campus' needs. We also have access to a local college gym that is for free too.

Freakingzooming said:
hi im also a first year- so feel free to PM me questions too or ask away here on this thread. To answer Pewl's thread- the scribe service is not mandatory. You don't have to participate in it if you don't want to subscribe to it. And yes there is a fitness center on campus with the laundry service. It's not state of the art but it definitely suits our campus' needs. We also have access to a local college gym that is for free too.

Does anyone actually know if they take people off the waitlist before the summer? The waitlist letter definitly makes it seem that way....

Also do they actually reject post-interview? or is this a RWJ job where everyone who interviews gets the waitlist at least?

I can't be the only one who feels lost with the website not working. How can I possibly check my status every five minutes if their servers are down? :D

BOBODR said:
Does anyone actually know if they take people off the waitlist before the summer? The waitlist letter definitly makes it seem that way....

Also do they actually reject post-interview? or is this a RWJ job where everyone who interviews gets the waitlist at least?

I don't know if NYMC rejects post-interview but I think they reserve the right to. I think it rarely happens. Most schools don't reject post interview. I've never heard of it happening unless they've like determined some ranked waitlist and know they never will go past a certain number in pulling people off the list.

I think the waitlist doesn't really start moving until after May 15th. Yeah, I know the wait is probably going to kill ya. I would though think of writing a LOI. I was running a tour with a second year and she was telling interviewees that post-interview, she was like really sure NYMC was her first choice and sent a letter in telling them that. I think sending updates and keeping in touch with the admissions committee will help. Good luck

NYMC was my top choice of the ones i interviewed...but now that I am waitlisted I dont know. I wanted to do there MD/MPH program which started in May...and if the waitlist doesn't move until May then I might just withdraw. If they don't want me, I don't want them.

benfolds21 said:
NYMC was my top choice of the ones i interviewed...but now that I am waitlisted I dont know. I wanted to do there MD/MPH program which started in May...and if the waitlist doesn't move until May then I might just withdraw. If they don't want me, I don't want them.

I just finished interviewing at NYMC. I really liked the school. I suspect that i may find myself on the waitlist shortly. I was wondering if those applicants who are currently on the waitlist would be good enough to list thier scores and their interpretation of how well the interview went. Thanks so much and good luck getting off the list.

DrPain said:
I just finished interviewing at NYMC. I really liked the school. I suspect that i may find myself on the waitlist shortly. I was wondering if those applicants who are currently on the waitlist would be good enough to list thier scores and their interpretation of how well the interview went. Thanks so much and good luck getting off the list.

this is already listed but here you go:

32O, 3.67 GPA, Excellent EC with tons of leadership, Excellent research (educational and industry), Great LORs

Interview went REALLY well....better than ones where I got accepted already :(

Well, I got my waitlist today.

DrPain said:

you can click on my name and view my mdapp. profile. i actually thought my interview went really well, so i am a bit surprised. i had much worse interviews at schools that accepted me! :confused: