NYMC: accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you have been accepted at NYMC, would you mind sharing your stats? i interviewed at the school in jan. but have not heard from them yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi.
I interviewed in Late Oct. and got my acceptance letter the end of December. I have a 3.5 cum (with a 3.8/3.9 soph and junior year) and a 28 (9V 9P 10B O MCAT) I hope everything goes well for you. NY Med was a nice school:)

megkudos,

congrats!!! have you decided if you're going there? if not, what don't you like about nymc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Was accepted with a 3.56 CUM GPA (3.42 BCPM GPA) and a 30 MCAT (9,11,10). I withdrew earlier this month. Good luck!

I got into one of my state schools also, so I have decided to go there and my main reason is $$. Other than the tuition, I think I would have really liked it at NY Medical. The facilities are all brand new, the education seems really good (100% pass rate on Step 1), and I would have liked to spend my last two years in the city. The only maybe down side is that the school is in the middle of nowhere, but it's pretty and seems like a good atmosphere. So that's the deal w/ me :) Good luck!

I had a 3.6 cum (3.4 BCPM) and a 33S MCAT. I was accepted in November but I won't be attending there. I didn't like the distance from NYC and a lot of the students I talked to didn't seem that happy. It's a really nice school though.

Bluedevil,

what did the students not like about nymc?

One of my friends is a MS-1 at NYMC and he absolutlely loves it. But, he did tell me that they work very hard b/c most of the students didn't get into their other safety schools and want residencies in either NYC or CA. So, he studies all the time and it's practically forced on them by the administration to concentrate on their board scores. Also, he told me that while they do go out a lot, it's not as easy to get to the city as the schools says. (Many on SDN will complain about Einstein being out of the city and only having an express bus or subway, but think about having to take a bus to a train station and then waiting for a train that takes 50 minutes and only runs every hour.) He told me that many just go to bars in White Plains.

I got the same impression when I talked to students on my interview day. I'd ask them how they decided on NYMC and they'd say, "it was b/w there and MCP or they didn't get in anywhere else."

It was a really pretty school and if I wanted more of a medical school campus with trees in a suburb, I'd totally look into the school despite all of the negatives I experienced, but it really wasn't what I wanted in a school.

Dude, I'd think twice about going to NYMC! I heard that one of the hospitals they train at may be losing its Peds accreditation. They're currently on probation. That puts their whole IM program in jeopardy.

Just something to think about.

why is their pediatrics program put on probation?

It might not be their peds department, but one of the departments at Westchester Medical Center is in hot water after the MRI incident last summer. This incident is the one where b/w the tech, the doctor, and the nurse, they can't remember how a metal oxygen canister was placed in a MRI scanning room that killed a 6 year-old boy.