NYMC ADMISSIONS

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by together, Nov 10, 2000.

1. together

together Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dear All,

Does anyone know what the admissions statistics are for New York Medical College? I have read that NYMC accepts over 1000 students out of 7-8000 applicants. Is this true? Also, if anyone would be kind enough to share their experiences at NYMC, I would appreciate hearing about them.

Thank you,

Together

2. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I so highly doubt they take in over 1,000 students. That would produce a yield of LESS THAN 20%. Impossible for NYMC and most med schools.

Tim of New York City.

3. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

The nonsense that floats around!

NYMC 1997-98 first year class

Applicants 10,985
    Applicants interviewed 1,301
    First year class: 184*
    *this number is lower than total accepted, but it is doubtful if the total accepted is more than 2 or 3 times that.

4. WingZero

WingZero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad00/dir-med/admis_04080.htm

Last Year's Entering Class (1999) -

6,997 Applied
    1,417 Interviewed
    605 Accepted (8.6%)
    184 Enrolled

I applied to NYMC and was rejected by them although I got into several other schools and felt my numbers were more than competitive there. I think NYMC (this has been known to happen at other smaller private medical schools; Dartmouth comes to mind) screens applicants on the basis of "seriousness" of their application. In other words, it would not be surprising if a candidate with a 4.0 GPA and 40 MCAT got rejected from NYMC simply because the Adcom realizes that there's almost no way this person will choose to come to NYMC and is just applying to NYMC as a "backup" (yes, I know when it comes to medical schools, the term "backup" is used very loosely). They don't feel guilty about rejecting qualified candidates because they know these people will get acceptances elsewhere.

State schools usually will not reject you outright even if they think you won't attend (since the state tuition is an extremely powerful incentive to enroll). SUNY Downstate was kind enough to ask me in February (pretty much after all interviews were done) if I still wanted an interview and that I could have one if I wanted. The letter stated that in their experience, many applicants had already been accepted to other schools (true in my case) and that SUNY Downstate did not want to call on people who were not interested any longer in the school. I thought this was a courteous, frank way of doing things.