Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

NYMC and CORNELL

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by bereave, Oct 27, 2000.

1. bereave

bereave Junior Member

Dear All,

I read that both NYMC and Cornell (Weill) both accept over 1,000 students of their (average 10,000) applicants. Does anyone know the numbers (GPA, MCAT) of those accepted? I do not mean those who eventually matriculate (these numbers are lavishly posted across brochures of both schools) but those 1,000+ students who received the "fat envelope." Also, any information about NY medical schools is appreciated! Thank you!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. VAD

VAD Member

Bereave,

I believe you may be mistaken on your Cornell information. According the booklet that comes with the secondary application, They receive over 6000 applications, and they interview 600-800 out of that number. In terms of GPA and MCAT, the avg. MCAT is 11 in each section (no cutoffs)and a GPA of 3.66. However, in the brochure, they stated that for the entering class of 1999, they had 6782 applications, 1097 interviews, and 101 matriculants. Sorry, but I don't know info. on NYMC.

Hope this helps.

VAD [​IMG]

4. WingZero

WingZero Senior Member

There's a world of difference between NYMC and Cornell. Sure, there is some self-selection, but Cornell's acceptances are nowhere near NYMC's. According to the USNews survey, Cornell got about 6,700 applications, interviewed 1,100 of those, and accepted 211 (3.1%), of which 101 enrolled. NYMC, on the other hand, had 7,000 applicants, interviewed 1,400, and accepted 605 (8.6%), of which 184 enrolled. Perhaps you are just referring to the percentage of applicants interviewed, which says nothing about acceptance rates, since schools vary greatly in the percentages of interviewees who get accepted.

5. gower

gower 1K Member

Medical School Admission Requirements 199-2000. AAMC publication.

NY Med. Applicants (97-98): 10,985. Interviewed: 1,301. New Entrants: 184
    Note 184 is class size; # accepted will be somewhat (how much?) higher. Being a private med school, like Cornell, state residency is not a consideration.

For Cornell: 97-98 Applicants: 7,133; interviewed: 1,168; class size: 101.

Accepted: Mean science: GPA 3.63; average MCAT: VR 10.2; PS 10.9; BS:11.2.

70% science majors; underrepresented minorities: 17%.

In NYC, Cornell and NYM Med are roughly the alpha and omega. But NY Med, though not Ivy League, gives a fine medical education. I know a cardiothoracic surgeon, a grad of MYMC, who did her residency at Columbia. She was 33, the mother of 3, when she began med school after postbac premed.

6. MikeS 78

MikeS 78 Senior Member

perhaps I am mistaken but doesnt the expression alpha and omega imply that those schools are dominant in nyc...if so then you are simply mistaken......you have left out columbia (Ivy league with one of this years nobel laurates) mt sinai, NYU, einstein all very good medical schools, columbia is arguably better than cornell

7. caffeinegirl

Physician

Attending Physician
    Hi MikeS
    Why do you say that Columbia is better than Cornell? I really want to know, because I can't really tell which is better...

thanks!
    [​IMG]

8. That's an easy one - he goes to Columbia [​IMG]