• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

NYMC and family life

dk33

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2008
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here (particularly those of you who are in med school, so might have more of an insiders view), can tell me a bit about NYMC and how friendly they are to students with families.

From what Ive seen, it seems like a pretty happy place, and being that its in NY but not smashed in NYC like alot of the other schools, I would assume, it is more family-friendly (space for a house with a yard nearby, etc). Is this true? Im young (early 20's) so although I got married right out of college, and had a baby earlier this year, I wouldnt consider myself that much of a "nontrad," so my quesiton isnt really like how many 30+ers are in each class. Any ideas?

Also, for anyone who has interviewed there yet, can you tell me some things you DIDNT like about it? I know that question might be unusual, but I am trying to consider both the good and the bad.
So far, my bad list=

-although the campus itself is beatiful, teh medical education building isnt all that nice and is kindof old (contrast this to something like U of Colorados gorgeous new campus and...)
- not so central so if you are used to the "city life" it might be a bit of a culture shock
- quite expensive

This is me if you are interested:
(http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=16390).

Thanks everyone :)

skijumpbump

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
  1. Medical Student
I know that they have married student housing on campus. They are not houses with a yard and a white picket fence. They are more like apartments or condos, but I did see a playground next to them and they looked fairly nice. To me it seemed like a nice setup.

About the Ads

dk33

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2008
  1. Pre-Medical
I know that they have married student housing on campus. They are not houses with a yard and a white picket fence. They are more like apartments or condos, but I did see a playground next to them and they looked fairly nice. To me it seemed like a nice setup.
nah we wouldnt do family housing-Wed both be miserable. We would definitely be living off campus for a variety of reasons. We currently have a house and it would be tough to go back to an apartment....

Anyone else have any info? I guess if they HAVE fam housing that is a good sign-they are receptive at least to ppl w/ families. Any informaiton tho, or personal experience?

bigserve99

Aug 8, 2006
  1. Medical Student
Hello dk33,

I am not in the Med School proper; however, I am in the Advanced Masters Program taking MS1 classes at NYMC and I can say that there's a good number of 1st year students that are married and some even have children I believe. Most of these students live off campus. Honestly, it's not that bad. I live off campus, heck I live in another state, and the commute is really easy as it's a reverse commute compared to the city. Unless you live north of the College, it'll be fine. Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll answer if I can.

You might still give living on campus a shot though. It's significantly more cost-effective, the area is safe, and to be honest, there are quite a few families on campus.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.