NYMC and family life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dk33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here (particularly those of you who are in med school, so might have more of an insiders view), can tell me a bit about NYMC and how friendly they are to students with families.

From what Ive seen, it seems like a pretty happy place, and being that its in NY but not smashed in NYC like alot of the other schools, I would assume, it is more family-friendly (space for a house with a yard nearby, etc). Is this true? Im young (early 20's) so although I got married right out of college, and had a baby earlier this year, I wouldnt consider myself that much of a "nontrad," so my quesiton isnt really like how many 30+ers are in each class. Any ideas?

Also, for anyone who has interviewed there yet, can you tell me some things you DIDNT like about it? I know that question might be unusual, but I am trying to consider both the good and the bad.
So far, my bad list=

-although the campus itself is beatiful, teh medical education building isnt all that nice and is kindof old (contrast this to something like U of Colorados gorgeous new campus and...)
- not so central so if you are used to the "city life" it might be a bit of a culture shock
- quite expensive

This is me if you are interested:
(http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=16390).

Thanks everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know that they have married student housing on campus. They are not houses with a yard and a white picket fence. They are more like apartments or condos, but I did see a playground next to them and they looked fairly nice. To me it seemed like a nice setup.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that they have married student housing on campus. They are not houses with a yard and a white picket fence. They are more like apartments or condos, but I did see a playground next to them and they looked fairly nice. To me it seemed like a nice setup.
nah we wouldnt do family housing-Wed both be miserable. We would definitely be living off campus for a variety of reasons. We currently have a house and it would be tough to go back to an apartment....

Anyone else have any info? I guess if they HAVE fam housing that is a good sign-they are receptive at least to ppl w/ families. Any informaiton tho, or personal experience?

Hello dk33,

I am not in the Med School proper; however, I am in the Advanced Masters Program taking MS1 classes at NYMC and I can say that there's a good number of 1st year students that are married and some even have children I believe. Most of these students live off campus. Honestly, it's not that bad. I live off campus, heck I live in another state, and the commute is really easy as it's a reverse commute compared to the city. Unless you live north of the College, it'll be fine. Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll answer if I can.

You might still give living on campus a shot though. It's significantly more cost-effective, the area is safe, and to be honest, there are quite a few families on campus.