1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

NYMC and Scholarships

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Allerian1004, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Allerian1004

Allerian1004 Practicing Vampire
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I sent an e-mail to NYMC regarding financial aid yesterday. They said that they give out 50 15,000 scholarships to first year students by May 15th. Would have gotten one with your initial acceptance or can they send a letter later saying you got one? I'm not getting my hopes up but it would sure be nice.

2. ClockworkDoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You think they would give one to someone who they put on the waitlist?

3. OP
    OP
    Allerian1004

Allerian1004 Practicing Vampire
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know. I just want to know if scholarships are usually given with your acceptance notice or later on.

4. boyz of 4d

boyz of 4d Proud Member of 4d
    10+ Year Member

Scholarships are given with acceptances and after. They usually come with acceptances late in the process, to make sure those kids come there (instead of taking kids off WL). After I received my acceptance to downstate, I called NYMC, to tell them I'd prefer to come to NYMC but couldnt afford it (Little did they know I was going to come either way). A few days later I got a call from one of the deans and was offered a scholarship. Basically it doesnt hurt to ask, worst is they say no, best is you get 15k for 4 years. Best of luck

5. applyingsucks

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I called the admissions office and was told that to be considered for the 15,000 scholarship you must fill out your parents info on the FAFSA, and they do it mostly by need based. Its a real expensive school, I think 60k a year (including living), 15k only makes a slight dent.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...