NYMC class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boyz of 4d

Proud Member of 4d
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who is going/most probably comin to NYMC this year?

Members don't see this ad.

boyz of 4d said:
Just wondering who is going/most probably comin to NYMC this year?

75% yea man....r u thinking of going there?

Most likely unless I come off Stonybrooks waitlist, where are you deciding between

Bigsheed920 said:
75% yea man....r u thinking of going there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Upstate and NYMC...waiting on those wonderful and probably painful FA packages. waiting on downstate still also....so its a possibility.

Yo peeps, I have an interview in 2wks. What is the deal with the NYMC housing, it seems kind of lame. Im not to excited about living in a quad or some communal housing. Correct me if im totally wrong, what was it like when you all were there ?

I kinda liked it, its like SUITE living in college, one of my friends who is a freshman this year say sits great, because everyone has a single, but theres other people there if you need, but privacy also.

Homer Doughnuts said:
Yo peeps, I have an interview in 2wks. What is the deal with the NYMC housing, it seems kind of lame. Im not to excited about living in a quad or some communal housing. Correct me if im totally wrong, what was it like when you all were there ?

I thought the housing was decent. The main units are like four bedroom apartments with two batrooms, a small kitchen and small living room. Some other school I've seen have dorm like facilities with community showers (eww!). I heard lots of people say they didn't like the husing, but I didn't think it was so bad.

hey guys:

I'm not 100 % sure where I'll be but hope to give the skool a second look soon. Anyone going to visit the campus and dorms again? I was hoping to get a 1 bedroom apartment but it seems like there's a big price difference- 1100 to 400-500.

the match list this year is amazing.

spongebob_sq said:
I'm trying to pick between Upstate and NYMC too. I really liked both schools! Have you heard anythng from NYMC about financial aid? Are we supposed to fill out a form online or will they send us something?
I did see the online FA form...but its for last years class. We will get something in the mail though first because u need a code to logon to the site.

Bigsheed920 said:
I did see the online FA form...but its for last years class. We will get something in the mail though first because u need a code to logon to the site.

I looked last night and they've finally updated the financial aid stuff for the Class of 2009! I think they are supposed to be sending stuff in the mail in addition.

Congratulations to all of you! I'm a first year at NYMC. If any of you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer. You should probably PM me though, in case I don't check back with this thread. See you in August!

Freakingzooming said:
hey guys:

I'm not 100 % sure where I'll be but hope to give the skool a second look soon. Anyone going to visit the campus and dorms again? I was hoping to get a 1 bedroom apartment but it seems like there's a big price difference- 1100 to 400-500.

the match list this year is amazing.

Hey do you have any info on those apartments you were looking at. Im was looking in the web but I couldn't find much. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
how soon post-interview did you hear back from nymc? and how do they contact you about your status... email or snail mail?? or did u call them????

I got the acceptance packet 12 weeks after my interview via snail-mail.

Any news on financial aid?

sdnstud said:
Any news on financial aid?

You know what really annoyed the hell out of me? This stupid financial aid letter telling me to fill out the FAFSA, which I did two months ago. Granted, it tells you how to fill out the NYMC application. But still. It's like APRIL. I don't know why I bothered holding on to half of these schools, when not a single one has sent out a financial aid pacackage. They are all sending me letters about the FAFSA. ARGH. So when are they actually going to send out financial aid packages?

Yeah. Sorry. Needed to complain. But to answer your question, you should be getting this letter too. I received it a day or two ago.

spongebob_sq said:
Have any of you actually checked out their FA page yet? They required that you get your credit report from all 3 major reporting agencies and send it to them, which costs like $50. Haven't we spent enough cash already?

Aside from that, I am definitely excited about starting at NYMC in the fall (I’m like 99% sure I'm going there). Does anyone know when we should received info on housing?

i got one of those tri credit reports. it cost $27 i think, and then $5 more if you want the fico score. you can go to experian.com ..i think others do it too. not that $20 is going to really matter in the grand scheme of things. :oops:

At this point im 99% sure im goin to NYMC too. Does anyone else think its bull**** that they take your parents income into account even though they are filing as an independent? The FA office has not been very helpful in the entire process.... argh. anyway just wanted to vent.... BTW for the kid worried about the housing, im going to paste the response to an email i sent them last week, hopefully this should clear up some questions we all have...:

Dear Mike,

Candy Hack, the Director of Student Housing, is out of the office today,
so I am responding to your email.

Most first year students live on campus and live in a furnished, suite
style, shared apartment. Older students can request an unfurnished one
or two bedroom apartment in Grasslands I. Grasslands I is the housing
complex where on-campus married students live with their families. One
bedroom, unfurnished apartments are reserved for married couples without
children. Unless you are married, this would not be an option for you.

Room assignments are made randomly, but Candy tries to make assignments
based on personal comments that students write on the back of their
application for housing. She tries to match students with similar
traits. You would not be able to pick your roommate, but if you know
another first year that will be attending New York Medical this Fall,
you both can request to room together. You would each have to write this
on the back of your applications. If you are assigned to a furnished
apartment, you will not be allowed to remove the furniture from your
room. Some students bring in their own full-sized bed and store the
student housing bed under the full-sized one. But the room would not be
big enough to accommodate a lot of additional furniture other than what
is already in it. If you feel that you would prefer to live off-campus,
we maintain a listing of off-campus housing. This listing is comprised
of apartment listings that area landlords have placed with our
off-campus listing service. If you would like a copy of one of these
listings, please email me your address and I would be happy to put one
in the mail to you.

Housing applications are mailed out at the end of May/beginning of June.
If you plan to be out of the country or away during this time, please
make sure that you designate someone to fill out the application for you
and return it with the $200.00 application fee. I am not sure of the
deadline date at this time, but it is always best to return the
application as soon as you receive it.

There may be an option to move in early, but this will be based upon
what apartment you are assigned to and if the apartment will be ready a
week ahead of official check-in. There may also be the option of
"checking in" on Monday, August 1 but would have to request it.

I hope that I have answered your questions. If you have additional
questions, please feel free to email us.

Holly Baker
Admin. Asst.
Student Housing Office

Take it for what it is.... cya guys in the fall...

PS. where is everyone from? Boston here (transplanted from Long Island and happy to be comming home)

tinkerbelle said:
You know what really annoyed the hell out of me? This stupid financial aid letter telling me to fill out the FAFSA, which I did two months ago. Granted, it tells you how to fill out the NYMC application. But still. It's like APRIL. I don't know why I bothered holding on to half of these schools, when not a single one has sent out a financial aid pacackage. They are all sending me letters about the FAFSA. ARGH. So when are they actually going to send out financial aid packages?

Yeah. Sorry. Needed to complain. But to answer your question, you should be getting this letter too. I received it a day or two ago.

Yeah I thought it was quite amusing that the letter basically just wanted you to fill out a FAFSA. Don't they understand that they are dealing with all Type A people who would've had that done months ago?! :laugh:

I received the financial aid thing on Monday. If you haven't gotten it yet and want to get started on it now, the username is your SSN and the password is your date of birth.

One kinda random question for those of you who have looked at it already...if you e-filed your tax return, what do you do about sending them a signed copy of the return? They are very explicit about the "signed" part even going as far as to indicate it in bold typeface. Should I just send them a copy of the printed out return that says "Do Not File" all over it and just sign the bottom anyway? It's the only return I have so I think they are going to just have to deal with it. :)

Not 100% sure I am going to NYMC, but I'm working on the Financial Aid. Thanks for posting the housing information. I am technically an "older" student, but I'm not that much older. I wonder if there's any hope of me getting an unfurnished apt if I end up going there. I'm guessing most likely not. I'd rather not get rid of or have to store all my furniture, but it's so expensive to live off-campus there. More decisions...sigh...

Thanks for the housing info! Anyone know when orientation is? Sorry for so many questions but I have noticed that the admission office is not very helpful.

last weekend in july/first week of august.

DonnyV17 said:
last weekend in july/first week of august.
last week of july?? isn't that kinda early? I thought orientation and classes start around mid august....

Elphie said:
Not 100% sure I am going to NYMC, but I'm working on the Financial Aid. Thanks for posting the housing information. I am technically an "older" student, but I'm not that much older. I wonder if there's any hope of me getting an unfurnished apt if I end up going there. I'm guessing most likely not. I'd rather not get rid of or have to store all my furniture, but it's so expensive to live off-campus there. More decisions...sigh...
You can request to live in a two- or three-bedroom Grasslands I apartment. Those are unfurnished and the bedrooms are of a decent size to accomodate your stuff. There's no guarantee you will get it but there are definitely first years who live there.

cheers

Elphie said:
One kinda random question for those of you who have looked at it already...if you e-filed your tax return, what do you do about sending them a signed copy of the return? They are very explicit about the "signed" part even going as far as to indicate it in bold typeface. Should I just send them a copy of the printed out return that says "Do Not File" all over it and just sign the bottom anyway? It's the only return I have so I think they are going to just have to deal with it.

Do exactly that. It's what I did when I filed.

As for parents info on the FAFSA, it doesn't count at all towards receiving Stafford (both sub and unsub) and Perkins Loans. What it can help you with is getting an NYMC loan which would have a lower interest rate than a private loan. For example, if you're taking out the full boat, including living expenses, and we'll round down to $50,000, you can get about $7500 subStafford, $30,000 unsubStafford and that leaves you with $12,500 that you would still need (regarless of if you give your parents info or not). If you are needy, and your parents are poor, you could get a NYMC loan for some of the remainder. If you are needy, and your parents are rich, you'll be taking out private loans. Make sense?

patrickstarfish said:
yeah i think that's annualcreditreport.com but you have to live in a certain region of the us. the west coast is first. i don't know if the east coast has it yet.

East coast doesn't get it until September so we're the lucky ones who still get to pay this year. Southern states get it in June. If you're in the Midwest or Western states though, take advantage of the free reports if you can!

alright, enough lurking for me! i actually applied for the class of 2008, but deferred nymc in favor of working for a year and saving up enough money to travel a bit. so i'll be joining the c/o 2009 in the fall. see you in august!

as far as the housing app goes, it doesn't help to send the forms in uber-early, even though they're available online. my app and check were returned to me about a month ago. the housing office was in the midst of processing housing apps for current students, and they told me to re-send my stuff in may/june.

o, and btw i'm from atlanta, but i've spent the past 5 yrs in houston.

Hey guys. I will be joining your ranks at NYMC in the Class of 2009.

See you all in the fall!

P.S. I prefer to get my own place off campus. Anyone else interested in apt hunting?

Did you just get in, or just decide?

Looking forward to NYMC!! I will also be apt hunting in the surrounding areas (hoping for a cheapish studio in white plains)

until later,
Biff

Biffer said:
Looking forward to NYMC!! I will also be apt hunting in the surrounding areas (hoping for a cheapish studio in white plains)

until later,
Biff

Congrats for choosing NYMC Biffer!

RaaMD said:
Congrats for choosing NYMC Biffer!
thanks--tough choice--but i did some research and felt a much stronger pull towards nymc. I really liked that the medical school had excellent hospitals and clinical departments within close proximity/on-campus. NYC within striking distance is also very attractive...

have u decided yet-

KatKlink said:
Did you just get in, or just decide?
Accepted in Decmber. I just decided. What about you?

Anyone know any good places to live around NYMC?

Looks like I'll be joining you guys next year too.

Any other SMPers?

when did you interview? and when did you hear?

jmmmmm said:
Looks like I'll be joining you guys next year too.

Any other SMPers?

beginning of april
and the other day

i'll be joining you guys too! :)

There are two of these threads. I think we should combine them somehow...