Quantcast

NYMC Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbtbay

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
I just made my decision to go to NYMC over a few other schools. For me it was a matter of being comfortable with my surroundings, strong clinical rotations, and good residency match. I'm looking forward to meeting and talking to my future classmates!!
 

boyz of 4d

Proud Member of 4d
10+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
304
Reaction score
5
I'll most likely be there pending not getting into Rochester or Stonybrook off waitlist. I made a thread about this eariler, probably got lost.

bbtbay said:
I just made my decision to go to NYMC over a few other schools. For me it was a matter of being comfortable with my surroundings, strong clinical rotations, and good residency match. I'm looking forward to meeting and talking to my future classmates!!
 

RaaMD

Caffeine Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
465
Reaction score
0

ruwan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
I was waiting for this thread. I'm almost certain that I'm going to me going to NYMC next year, and glad to see that someone else is starting there.

Has anyone got there financial/housing packages yet? Also, I know some med school classes have their own forums, anyone know if NYMC '09 has a forum, or place to discuss stuff?

Cheers to you all.
 

Crasavitsa

Overworked Pre-Meder
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Yeah I am most likely going there also, I love everything about the school except the tuition so I'm going unless Stony Brook takes me off the waitlist. Cant wait!
 

spongebob_sq

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
I heard that we will get our housing packages in June sometime. I am still waiting on a response from FA too...
 

RaaMD

Caffeine Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
Deciding between this school and Drexel. What do you guys think?
 

ruwan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
RaaMD said:
Deciding between this school and Drexel. What do you guys think?

I think I might find myself in that position. I should be hearing from Drexel soon, but I had a good feeling. Right now, I'm leaning towards NYMC. Here's why:
- They teach to the USMLEs (and *I* need that b/c I'm bad at standarized tests.)
- They have clinical starting from the first week.
- Better matches. (This probably means nothing for me individually, but goes to show that it can be done.)
- NYC is better than Phili. (imho)
- More research, more facilities. Drexel campus is very small (one building!?), and I didn't hear about any research on my interview day.
- Drexel has PBL/Trad cirriculums, but according to the Drexel students I met, they never meet. So there's a 1/3 of your class you might not know.
- I kind of like the dorms idea b/c i'm only 21 (22 when I start), I don't know anyone in either area, and don't want to worry about housing my first time there.
- 3/4th years in NYC is more desirable than in Phili. (At least in my opinion right now, having visited each city once.)
- NYMC has a Trauma 1 hospital, right there.
- Easier to fly b/w NYC and Sac (home) than Phili and Sac (not a real factor at all, but whatever)

Things I like about Drexel more:
- The people seemed nicer.
- 3/4th years in Atlantic city (woah!)
- Nice new building.
- Not next to a prison. (but kinda in a crappy area.)

That's what I'm thinking. I'd love to hear from the rest of you about your opinions.
 

RaaMD

Caffeine Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
ruwan said:
I think I might find myself in that position. I should be hearing from Drexel soon, but I had a good feeling. Right now, I'm leaning towards NYMC. Here's why:
- They teach to the USMLEs (and *I* need that b/c I'm bad at standarized tests.)
- They have clinical starting from the first week.
- Better matches. (This probably means nothing for me individually, but goes to show that it can be done.)
- NYC is better than Phili. (imho)
- More research, more facilities. Drexel campus is very small (one building!?), and I didn't hear about any research on my interview day.
- Drexel has PBL/Trad cirriculums, but according to the Drexel students I met, they never meet. So there's a 1/3 of your class you might not know.
- I kind of like the dorms idea b/c i'm only 21 (22 when I start), I don't know anyone in either area, and don't want to worry about housing my first time there.
- 3/4th years in NYC is more desirable than in Phili. (At least in my opinion right now, having visited each city once.)
- NYMC has a Trauma 1 hospital, right there.
- Easier to fly b/w NYC and Sac (home) than Phili and Sac (not a real factor at all, but whatever)

Things I like about Drexel more:
- The people seemed nicer.
- 3/4th years in Atlantic city (woah!)
- Nice new building.
- Not next to a prison. (but kinda in a crappy area.)

That's what I'm thinking. I'd love to hear from the rest of you about your opinions.


Thanks for the response ruwan. I'm going to make my decision soon and your advice helped.
 

ruwan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
RaaMD said:
Thanks for the response ruwan. I'm going to make my decision soon and your advice helped.

I'd like to see anyone talk about Drexel's good points (other than the Eagles and 76ers), because you could use that info for your decision (and that might be something I have to consider later too.)
 

Freakingzooming

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2002
Messages
574
Reaction score
2
hey guys:

I think there is a lotta overlap between people deciding between Drexel and NYMC. I'm one of them too:

Here's my takes-

Drexel

Positives- Obviously they try to make it their technology. The fact that everything, lectures, class notes, and slides, are all online. The whole campus is wireless and the path/histology lab is nice. I agree the technology is pretty nice but I don't think it makes the school that much better than NYMC. I personally think the real strength in Drexel lies in their teaching style. The IFM curriculum is what I chose and although it's not like PIL, what with it's completely different small group teaching style. I think it's pretty integrative. The students at Drexel seem to feel the teaching is overall excellent at Drexel, while at NYMC it's a hit or miss. The testing schedule isn't taxing either. The administration seems to be much much more receptive to the needs of students than NYMC. I like the fact that they have an undergrad campus that I can study at. Maybe use their gym... etc. I like that the class is large, which means I'll be this less likely to hate everyone by the end of 4 years.

Negatives- Campus size, lack of teaching hospital, name changing. Although both NYMC and Drexel seem to be fit into one building, Drexel's library is tiny and their gym is inadequate. I didn't get to see the Hanenham hospital but the fact that it is almost across town. You can take the shuttle there but it's still really far away. I know the name changing was due to the hospital's financial problems but Philly is already loaded with med schools (Temple, Penn, Jefferson) and the fact that Drexel is having trouble finding a more secure affliate troubles me. You might have to do a rotation at Pittsburgh. Anatomy lab was crowded. It was sorta ridiculous, they somehow fit 250 people down there in a tiny room.

NYMC:

Positives- Tests are all multiple choice. End of classes have mini-boards, hence the high pass rate and how well students do on the boards. Anatomy lab is excellent. You cant smell the chloroform. It might seem minor but if you spend half a day for three months in a stuffy anatomy lab, you'll notice the importance. Being in the outskirts of NYC is the selling point for this school. if you had a car, you could get to downtown in less than 30 minutes. Thru taxi and then train, maybe 45 minutes. The clinical rotations are diverse and you'll have the opp to do them in NYC. The school has two main hospitals they rotate thru in NYC- St. Vinny's Manhattan and Metropolitan. I've heard Metropolitian is not a good teaching hospital but it's on the Upper East side and the patient pop is diverse.

Negatives- Testing schedule is rough. I think students are overworked and stressed out all the time. I had a 1st year show me the campus on a 2nd look and she was telling me that she had a midterm on Friday and then a neuro midterm on Monday. So she went from finishing her midterm to a review session for a neuro midterm on Monday. The testing schedule seems to be like midterms once every two weeks. Miniboards at the end. A lot of testing. Overall, I've heard clinical rotations are not great and it varies between hospital to hospital. Westchester is not doing so well financially. The new Children's Hospital is great but NYC rotations are okay at best. Housing is a question for NYC cuz they sold their 95th street housing.
 

bbtbay

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
It took me a while to decide to attend NYMC. I also got into Drexel and Penn St. I chose NYMC for these reasons...

1. Very good residency match (competetive specialties and excellent hospitals in CA --- I'm from CA)
2. Westchester Hospital located on-campus
3. Patient contact during first year
4. I enjoy the dormitory feel -- I got a good "gut" feeling about the school when I visited.
5. Opportunity to do rotations in Manhattan during third year (I am a city guy)
6. Sure the atmosphere is competetive, but I talked to a lot of people, and they said medical school in general is tough and stressful. For me, I feed off of that and it helps me.
7. Good scribe service for lectures.
8. Very nice facilities --- the anatomy lab
9. I want to come back to CA for residency, however if I end up matching in a "local" hospital, I'd rather live in NY than PA
10. I know a lot of people who have gone to NYMC from my undergrad (UC Berkeley) and they have been able to deal with the stress and testing schedule fine. They are having a great time --- they work hard during the week, and make time to relax during the weekend (go to Manhattan, spend time in Whiteplains).
11. I have relatives/family within 30 min of Valhalla.
12. Diverse patient demographic in Manhattan, and ability to do more hands-on work with residents during clerkships --- busy hospitals of St. Vincents and Metropolitan) rather than at Penn St (not as busy -- have been told you learn from doctors --- not working on patients, you are just taught what to do)

I could go on, but for me it ended up being where I would be most comfortable and happy --- NYMC for me.
 
Members don't see this ad :)

RaaMD

Caffeine Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
Freakingzooming said:
hey guys:

I think there is a lotta overlap between people deciding between Drexel and NYMC. I'm one of them too:

Here's my takes-

Drexel

Positives- Obviously they try to make it their technology. The fact that everything, lectures, class notes, and slides, are all online. The whole campus is wireless and the path/histology lab is nice. I agree the technology is pretty nice but I don't think it makes the school that much better than NYMC. I personally think the real strength in Drexel lies in their teaching style. The IFM curriculum is what I chose and although it's not like PIL, what with it's completely different small group teaching style. I think it's pretty integrative. The students at Drexel seem to feel the teaching is overall excellent at Drexel, while at NYMC it's a hit or miss. The testing schedule isn't taxing either. The administration seems to be much much more receptive to the needs of students than NYMC. I like the fact that they have an undergrad campus that I can study at. Maybe use their gym... etc. I like that the class is large, which means I'll be this less likely to hate everyone by the end of 4 years.

Negatives- Campus size, lack of teaching hospital, name changing. Although both NYMC and Drexel seem to be fit into one building, Drexel's library is tiny and their gym is inadequate. I didn't get to see the Hanenham hospital but the fact that it is almost across town. You can take the shuttle there but it's still really far away. I know the name changing was due to the hospital's financial problems but Philly is already loaded with med schools (Temple, Penn, Jefferson) and the fact that Drexel is having trouble finding a more secure affliate troubles me. You might have to do a rotation at Pittsburgh. Anatomy lab was crowded. It was sorta ridiculous, they somehow fit 250 people down there in a tiny room.

NYMC:

Positives- Tests are all multiple choice. End of classes have mini-boards, hence the high pass rate and how well students do on the boards. Anatomy lab is excellent. You cant smell the chloroform. It might seem minor but if you spend half a day for three months in a stuffy anatomy lab, you'll notice the importance. Being in the outskirts of NYC is the selling point for this school. if you had a car, you could get to downtown in less than 30 minutes. Thru taxi and then train, maybe 45 minutes. The clinical rotations are diverse and you'll have the opp to do them in NYC. The school has two main hospitals they rotate thru in NYC- St. Vinny's Manhattan and Metropolitan. I've heard Metropolitian is not a good teaching hospital but it's on the Upper East side and the patient pop is diverse.

Negatives- Testing schedule is rough. I think students are overworked and stressed out all the time. I had a 1st year show me the campus on a 2nd look and she was telling me that she had a midterm on Friday and then a neuro midterm on Monday. So she went from finishing her midterm to a review session for a neuro midterm on Monday. The testing schedule seems to be like midterms once every two weeks. Miniboards at the end. A lot of testing. Overall, I've heard clinical rotations are not great and it varies between hospital to hospital. Westchester is not doing so well financially. The new Children's Hospital is great but NYC rotations are okay at best. Housing is a question for NYC cuz they sold their 95th street housing.



Thanks for the feed back freakingzooming!
 

RaaMD

Caffeine Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
bbtbay said:
It took me a while to decide to attend NYMC. I also got into Drexel and Penn St. I chose NYMC for these reasons...

1. Very good residency match (competetive specialties and excellent hospitals in CA --- I'm from CA)
2. Westchester Hospital located on-campus
3. Patient contact during first year
4. I enjoy the dormitory feel -- I got a good "gut" feeling about the school when I visited.
5. Opportunity to do rotations in Manhattan during third year (I am a city guy)
6. Sure the atmosphere is competetive, but I talked to a lot of people, and they said medical school in general is tough and stressful. For me, I feed off of that and it helps me.
7. Good scribe service for lectures.
8. Very nice facilities --- the anatomy lab
9. I want to come back to CA for residency, however if I end up matching in a "local" hospital, I'd rather live in NY than PA
10. I know a lot of people who have gone to NYMC from my undergrad (UC Berkeley) and they have been able to deal with the stress and testing schedule fine. They are having a great time --- they work hard during the week, and make time to relax during the weekend (go to Manhattan, spend time in Whiteplains).
11. I have relatives/family within 30 min of Valhalla.
12. Diverse patient demographic in Manhattan, and ability to do more hands-on work with residents during clerkships --- busy hospitals of St. Vincents and Metropolitan) rather than at Penn St (not as busy -- have been told you learn from doctors --- not working on patients, you are just taught what to do)

I could go on, but for me it ended up being where I would be most comfortable and happy --- NYMC for me.

Thanks for the reply bbtbay!
 

nairay

Not burnt bread
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2003
Messages
197
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I'm deciding between Stony Brook and NYMC. I've noticed that some people would rather go to SB if pulled off the waitlist. I'm from CA, and NYMC's matches in CA are enticing, but financially, I could get in-state tuition at SB after a year. I've been trying to organize pros and cons for each, but I would appreciate anyone else's input. Thanks!
 

ruwan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Has anyone recieved any financial info or student housing from NYMC yet? I'd like to get mine done asap so I can travel this summer, but just want to check with everyone else.

Who is planning to live in the dorms? Anyone living off campus?

What about laptops/desktops/handheld computers and other equipment? Anyone planning to get any of those?
 

bbtbay

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
I think we don't get housing info until the end of May. I am going to bring a laptop, but I had a similar question regarding which kind we should get???
 

spongebob_sq

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
I’m getting a new laptop to bring too. I think I am either going with a Dell or a powerbook. I'm not sure if the campus has wireless. I only know that the dorms have high speed internet of some sort.
 

dukeduke

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2004
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
spongebob_sq said:
I’m getting a new laptop to bring too. I think I am either going with a Dell or a powerbook. I'm not sure if the campus has wireless. I only know that the dorms have high speed internet of some sort.

at the interview they mentioned that the main medical ed building has wireless.

hope that helps.
 

ruwan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
I'm almost certainly going to bring a laptop too. I'm thinking Dell, but maybe I'd like an IBM -- they seem "better" but more expensive. Or Toshiba. I'm sure there's wireless internet around, at least in the lecture hall/anatomy/library building (they've gotta be wireless now, don't they?).

Do you guys know of any NYMC-specific message board? Should we make one or something like that?
 

RaaMD

Caffeine Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
I made my decision to attend NYMC today over Drexel. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll see you guys this summer and fall. Since most will be living on campus, I'm sure we all will have a chance to meet.
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
0
i might join you guys/girls at nymc next year. i found out today that i got a $80K scholarship ($20K a year) from nymc. i had my heart set on rush, but now I am seriously considering accepting nymc's offer. what do you guys think?
 
Members don't see this ad :)

boyz of 4d

Proud Member of 4d
10+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
304
Reaction score
5
I got the dell 700m (when the 750 off 1500 laptop deal was available), altho I talked to my friend who is an MS1 there nad he siad there really is no use for it.

spongebob_sq said:
I’m getting a new laptop to bring too. I think I am either going with a Dell or a powerbook. I'm not sure if the campus has wireless. I only know that the dorms have high speed internet of some sort.
 

RaaMD

Caffeine Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
sdnstud said:
i might join you guys/girls at nymc next year. i found out today that i got a $80K scholarship ($20K a year) from nymc. i had my heart set on rush, but now I am seriously considering accepting nymc's offer. what do you guys think?


Dude, that's awesome. I've seen your posts around and saw that you were really interested in Rush. I actually interviewed at Rush as my first interview and it went horrible, mainly because I didn't know what I needed to know for interviewing. If Rush had been a later interview, I might have been able to have gone there. Anywho, man that's awesome. Congrats. I'm from California too.
 

ruwan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
sdnstud said:
i might join you guys/girls at nymc next year. i found out today that i got a $80K scholarship ($20K a year) from nymc. i had my heart set on rush, but now I am seriously considering accepting nymc's offer. what do you guys think?

hey man, congratulations! looking forward to seeing you there. btw, when did you fill out your financial aid stuff?, and when did you hear back from NYMC? I'm just wondering what the time-frame is on these sorts of things.
 

bbtbay

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
Hey sdnstud-

Congratulations on the scholarship offer! That is a really good amount also, since it cuts your tuition in half! I am biased because I already decided to go to NYMC, but I think you should go too! You are in the same boat as me (coming from CA, wanting to return to CA for residency, and from Berkeley). From everyone I talked to who goes there -- I know a lot of people from Cal who go there, went there -- it seems like a great place to attend. I don't know much about Rush, but I've posted why I chose NYMC. Congratulations again! And what type of scholarship was it (need based or did you apply for it (private)??
 

DonnyV17

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
wow, 80k from NYMC, not bad man congrats. As for laptops im prob gona get a 15" powerbook, ive had 2 dell laptops over the past few years and both of them blew. I know for a fact that the school has wireless within the main buildings, not sure about the dorms (but im sure you can hook your own router up). Im pissed about having to give my parents info for financial aid because i know im not going to get a dime from NYMC, eventhough im totally on my own throughout school. I would really love to get one of those unfurnished apts because i have a ton of stuff from my apt. Im not sure that i can get one of those though... any thoughts on the other dorm style apts? Anyway, see u guys in august
 

ruwan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
I was under the impression that all the student housing dorms were pretty much furnished (bed, desk, dresser, chair, a couch+coffee table in the common area). I'm not 100% sure though. has anyone gotten their student housing packet?
 

superso

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
201
Reaction score
0
sdnstud said:
i might join you guys/girls at nymc next year. i found out today that i got a $80K scholarship ($20K a year) from nymc. i had my heart set on rush, but now I am seriously considering accepting nymc's offer. what do you guys think?

hey man, i got that same thing yesterday. I wondered, what is the actual cost of nymc per year? that is, tuition + housing but excluding all the other stuff. I'm seriously considering nymc over downstate if i can figure out how much of an award this really is
 

rummaMD

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2005
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
I too received an 80K scholarship. It's split 40K in grants, 40K in low interest loans. I just received the letter yesterday, and it is decided by the "scholarship committee". Not sure if it's need-based or merit-based.

BTW, I will be attending NYMC, and doing a combined MD/MPH. Anyone else taking MPH classes this summer?
 

Vitamin_Ng

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
hey everyone--

i'll be going to nymc this fall too. i actually applied during the previous app cycle, but took a year off to work and travel, so now i'm pumped about starting school.

re: financial aid
nymc asks that you fill out fafsa w/ the student's AND parents' tax info. i originally tried to file fafsa as an independent, but had to go back and include my parents' financial info also. the nymc portion of the FA app can be found on their website under "student financial planning", and requires your date of birth and SS# to log in.

re: housing
i received an email from candy hack (housing director) saying the best time to submit housing forms is may/june. these forms can also be found online. there are 2 types of housing, dorm-style suites which are furnished single bedrooms attached to a common room and the unfurnished garden apartments, which, from what i could tell, are better for families or students who prefer to live alone.

o, and btw, i'll be a southern transplant (having only lived in atlanta and houston so far)...any tips for making the transition up north?

~marie
 

Freakingzooming

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2002
Messages
574
Reaction score
2
When did you guys turn in the financial aid app to get the 80 k scholarship package letter? At the beginning of April?
 
Members don't see this ad :)

superso

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
201
Reaction score
0
Freakingzooming said:
When did you guys turn in the financial aid app to get the 80 k scholarship package letter? At the beginning of April?

i never did turn in the financial app
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
0
Just curious, for those who got the $20K scholarship offer, are you asking other schools to match the $$$?

Also, did NYMC's $20K scholarship offer change anyone's mind about which schools to drop before May 15th?
 

Bigsheed920

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
184
Reaction score
1
rummaMD said:
I too received an 80K scholarship. It's split 40K in grants, 40K in low interest loans. I just received the letter yesterday, and it is decided by the "scholarship committee". Not sure if it's need-based or merit-based.

BTW, I will be attending NYMC, and doing a combined MD/MPH. Anyone else taking MPH classes this summer?
How can u call it a scholarship if 40K is loans???
 

rummaMD

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2005
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Bigsheed920 said:
How can u call it a scholarship if 40K is loans???

Well, technically it is all packaged together, i.e. you must take out the loans with the grants (this is how I interpret the letter). But yeah, 40K in "free" money.
 

nairay

Not burnt bread
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2003
Messages
197
Reaction score
0
Bigsheed920 said:
How can u call it a scholarship if 40K is loans???

Decisions, decisions...

my parents just called me saying a FedEx package came saying I got a $20K scholarship (not as much as the others out here, probably because I wasn't on the ball with financial aid stuff). If i took it, it'd only cover probably the cost of living, seeing how tuition is so high and living in westchester is high. Stonybrook, unfortunately, doens't give out their packages until June!!!

Oh how nerve-racking.
 

ruwan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
hearing all this talk of scholarships has made me pretty envious... but thankful to know i'll be going to school with some pretty bright folks.

anyway, i'm planning to submit by finaid paperwork soon, and just want to make sure that i'm not forgetting anything:
- 2 copies of MPN
- NYMC finaid app
- my + parents 2004 taxes
- credit report

for the credit report, did you guys get all three companies to give you one? i was able to get one from equifax for $5, but the other two companies were unable to get me one. my equifax is score is pretty good, so what do you think i should do?

oh, and is all hope lost for people doing the finaid thing for scholarships at this late-ish date?
 

nairay

Not burnt bread
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2003
Messages
197
Reaction score
0
I hadn't even turned everything in (just the fafsa) and i still got something.
 

ruwan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
nairay said:
I hadn't even turned everything in (just the fafsa) and i still got something.

that's just downright impressive.
 

spongebob_sq

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
a little offt topic.... but anyone plan on doing any research?
 

synapse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2004
Messages
317
Reaction score
0
anyone know if the class is full yet?

i wonder if they're still giving out straight acceptances or if they're all just waitlist spots.

i interviewed in march and haven't heard back yet :(
 

ruwan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
spongebob_sq said:
a little offt topic.... but anyone plan on doing any research?

yeah i'll probably end up doing some. i didnt like research during my undergrad years because i felt it was useless and too difficult. after i stopped doing it, i began to appreciate it more, and i'd like to get involved with it at NYMC. i'm thinking maybe clinical research instead of scientific maybe, but i'm not 100% sure yet.
 

Bigsheed920

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
184
Reaction score
1
synapse said:
anyone know if the class is full yet?

i wonder if they're still giving out straight acceptances or if they're all just waitlist spots.

i interviewed in march and haven't heard back yet :(
i would say it is full.....waitlist is probably where all late interviewees are headed.
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
0
sdnstud said:
i might join you guys/girls at nymc next year. i found out today that i got a $80K scholarship ($20K a year) from nymc. i had my heart set on rush, but now I am seriously considering accepting nymc's offer. what do you guys think?


I have decided to decline NYMC's scholarship offer and withdraw my application. You future NYMCers are an awesome group. It is my loss that we will not be future classmates. Good luck, all you NYMCers and I hope one of you gets my scholarship. :thumbup:
 

bbtbay

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
Hey sdnstud, where did you decide to go?? Does anyone know when the whitecoat ceremony is??
 

rummaMD

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2005
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
The White Coat Ceremony is October 7, during the Convocation. This date, along with many others should have been/will be sent to you via email.
 

bbtbay

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
rummaMD said:
The White Coat Ceremony is October 7, during the Convocation. This date, along with many others should have been/will be sent to you via email.

Thanks rummaMd! Does anyone know what the public transportation system is like in the area? I'm trying to decide if it'd be worth it for me to bring my car to school. I'd have to bring it all the way from CA!
 
Top