NYMC Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Doctorveradoll,

First & foremost congrats :thumbup: to you and all the other future NYMC class of 2012. Your post regarding commuting from Queens to NYMC grabbed my attention. I will be applying this Summer and I currently live in Queens. I honestly thought that I would have to relocate.

I just assumed that the commute from Queens to NYMC would be too taxing (visions of dog sleds trekking through the westchester wilderness!).However, a 30/40 min commute is not terribly horrendous. Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not at all familiar with the area, so presumably the commute involves the subway and the metro north. Isn't the metro north somewhat more expensive??

Anyway, excuse the barrage of questions. I just would rather not relocate and wouldn't mind commuting if it's not too much of an imposition. Any insight you (or anyone else) can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Well where in Queens do you live? I'm in Auburndale (border of Flushing/Bayside) and only 5-10 minutes from either the Whitestone or Throgs Neck. I'll be driving everyday :)/).
If you're closer to Astoria or LIC, I would think the congestion there would take too long to commute. I looked into the train, but my dad said the closest train station is a bit far (I looked it up 2 miles.. not a terrible walk, but could get dragging).

The commute is not ideal, but it comes done to more important things. At the end of the day, I get to go home to my wonderful boyfriend and 2 kitty cats. (plus the rent is very affordable).

Members don't see this ad.

Doctorveradoll,

Thanks for your response. I live near Astoria, so I guess my commute would be more of task (gotta break break out the dog sleds or relocate:(). Anyway we'll see. Wow, kudos on your stellar verbal score.

I'm in the process of studying for the mcat (scheduled for July 18th). I've gone over the bio and physical science sections. I need to start doing some tests as well, but I haven't gone over the verbal yet. I got the examkrackers verbal (has good reviews on SDN) and I intend to get cracking (pun intended!) on that soon.

If you don't mind sharing, how did you completely annilate the verbal section? Was it natural ability or did u hone your skills with some review aids and if so which ones? Thanks again....

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm debating whether or not to bring a car. Anyone have any input that would help make my decision?? I'm use to public transportation; however, it'd be convenient to have a car to get around Valhalla. I'm positive that I'll be living in School Housing.

I'm planning on bringing mine. I don't see a reason why not to, unless you really don't want to pay for insurance and plan to just not use it at all. I want to be able to go home if I get the chance. And I think it's necessary for the area if you really want some freedom.

Do any current or soon to be medical students at NYMC have suggestions for off campus living that is not too outrageously expensive? I hear that Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow are decent options if you have a roomate to split the rent (which I will).

Do any current or soon to be medical students at NYMC have suggestions for off campus living that is not too outrageously expensive? I hear that Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow are decent options if you have a roomate to split the rent (which I will).
White Plains definitely has a lot of apartment buildings, which are pretty cheap as far as Weschester is concerned. Elmsford,too.

Purchase is home to a SUNY, so there might be affordable apts there too.

Did anyone get their financial aid offer yet? I got in all my stuff before the April deadline and have gotten the email for the step 2 yet.

Hello everyone!

I was accepted on 5/15 and I'm pretty set on NYMC. I'm really, really, really REALLY excited! Now I have to figure out how to move my stuff...

Anything for anyone regarding housing or financial aid? I'm starting to get a little nervous...

Nope, nothing here either. They are very slow.

Does anyone know if they offer at least some financial aid that isn't loans?

Also, does the co 2012 have a facebook group?

Congratulations on getting in everyone. I just finished up my second year, and I'm getting ready to take my boards.

To answer some quick questions. Yes take your car. There's plenty of parking. Living on campus is nice. I hate commuting.

You'll find out about housing soon enough. Very few people don't get housing their first year. Very few. I knew a few people that lived off campus their first year. It's doable.

Don't worry about financial aid. They'll get you the information. Just have a little patience. I remember the feeling. You're very anxious to get into med school and get going, but by the end of first year, you're ready to take a very extended vacation.

My opinion is to enjoy these last few days of your freedom while you can. Go travel. Hang out with friends. Don't work too hard. It really isn't worth it in the end.

The sad thing is is that first year drags on, but second year flies by.

Well now that I've said all that crap, if you have any questions, let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah, and they do offer scholarships, but it's not advertised or talked about. As a matter of fact, they also give out merit based scholarships after school has started based on how you do. Not that many people know about that. I don't blame them for not advertising it though because then you have people grabbing at each other's necks to do the best to get the scholarship.

Med school really isn't about competition. It's about learning, and most people come in still have that undergrad pre-medical mentality. It's not about that anymore. You've already got in. That was the challenge, now you just have to become a doctor.

Don't study too hard, but study hard. You need to take some time for yourself, and do the things you like to do. You can do extremely well in medical school and still take almost as much free time as you want. It really depends on how you study I guess, and how your memory is.

I'm a procrastinator by nature, so I ended up watching a lot of TV when I should have been studying... :)

I'm still on the waitlist at my alma mater, which is a cheaper state school. I'm not sure at this point, but I think I'm gonna go to NYMC regardless of whether they take me or not. Even though my heart is pretty set, this situation makes me uncomfortable. I just wish my state school would make a decision either way so that my plans can be concrete, and this whole thing starts feeling real. Anyone in a similar situation?

I was hoping some current NYMC students could answer this. Is there a lot of PBL 1st and/or 2nd year?

Anyone hear back about their financial aid packages yet?

Anyone hear back about their financial aid packages yet?

Nope. I wonder when it'll come though, we've already got the housing and health insurance stuff so I guess fin aid is next?

I called in and it seems like it may be a little while before they give us any fin aid info.

Why is this thread so dead all the time, where are all of the NYMC people?

I see I see, great, thanks for the information!! :)

emm, stimulation lab is where they have "fake human bodies" -- adult, child and baby -- that can "stimulate" all kinds of pathological conditions, they can adjust the heart beat, respiration, pulses, blood pressure, according to the assumed condition the "patient" has... and you can even draw blood from it using a computer stimulator. So 1st year and 2nd year students use that (since they don't have real patient contact that much yet), and try to "diagnose" the "stimulated patients." I think stimulation lab is really neat, and hope NYMC has one too.

are you sure you don't mean simulation lab? that would make more sense, and as I said, we have cardio simulators, but nothing beats the real thing, which you'll have plenty of practice on

As far as PBL, first year there's a few PBL labs here and there, but there's more 2nd year in the Pathology class. At NYMC pathology, pathphysiology, and intro to clinical medicine are all kinda combined into one course that has a lot of PBL built into it

also, if you're around Westchester, buy my microscope! its $200 and works perfectly, I bought it new for $350 2 years ago. The ones the school rents out cost $400 and you have it give it back after 2 years. Buy mine and then sell it 2 years from now. PM me, I live in Sleepy Hollow

Does anyone know about ac on campus? Looking at the website, it says we can buy units for >$400!? I'm curious if that's the only option, because that is simply unreal.

I just got accepted last week to NYMC. :thumbup: About 99% sure I will attend but the rub is I am married and my wife has two cats. We were planning on living on-campus but I have seen in other posts, pets are not allowed but I have not found anything on NYMC's Web site explaining their policy. I would be willing to give an extra pet security deposit (they are not destructive at all).

Any advice?

They do not allow any pets on campus which is why people with pets live off campus.

You can buy your own AC unit which is much cheaper than using theirs.

Does anyone know about ac on campus? Looking at the website, it says we can buy units for >$400!? I'm curious if that's the only option, because that is simply unreal.

i'm a current MS1. Don't buy the AC that NYMC offers. WAYYYY too expensive. You can usually buy a used one off fellow students for around 150.

In regards to living off campus. People say its 'relatively cheap' however you have to take into account that NYMC housing includes EVERYTHING (internet, free cable with HBO, electricity, hot water, parking...). While living in off campus housing may be more comfortable than dorm living, living on campus for 600ish which includes everything is better than paying 800 + utilities off campus

see you in a fall.

i'm a current MS1. Don't buy the AC that NYMC offers. WAYYYY too expensive. You can usually buy a used one off fellow students for around 150.

In regards to living off campus. People say its 'relatively cheap' however you have to take into account that NYMC housing includes EVERYTHING (internet, free cable with HBO, electricity, hot water, parking...). While living in off campus housing may be more comfortable than dorm living, living on campus for 600ish which includes everything is better than paying 800 + utilities off campus

see you in a fall.

Cool, thanks for letting me know. Kind of freaked out when I saw that.

We get HBO? That is simply awesome.

And hopefully this won't get me killed, but what's available for Red Sox fans? In terms of games on TV, or places to see them locally.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I will coming up to NYMC soon in August. I have always exercised and been active in sports to relieve stress from classes. I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any gyms that are near by, since the one on campus is kind of small. Also if anyone knows of any sport clubs or anything else please let me know. I am excited to meet everyone and get started.:)

Cool, thanks for letting me know. Kind of freaked out when I saw that.

We get HBO? That is simply awesome.

And hopefully this won't get me killed, but what's available for Red Sox fans? In terms of games on TV, or places to see them locally.

Red Sox fans can watch YES network all day (Yankee Entertainment Sports) :laugh:

anyone have any opinions/insight about the on campus housing. grasslands I (unfurnished) or grasslands II (furnished) ... are there any other differences between them. also any differences between the 2/3/4 bedroom options besides the obvious.

also, do the furnished rooms come with a twin size bed? please say no.

Just wanted to say "hi", everyone! I got in off the waitlist last week. I'm looking forward to the MD/MPH program. Anyone else doing that?

This move is going to be very poetic. I was born near NYMC, in White Plains, spent my childhood in Ann Arbor, Michigan and my middle/high school years in Palm Beach, Florida.

Then I went back to Michigan for college... now guess where I'm going to med school? You got it. I can't wait!

Just wanted to say "hi", everyone! I got in off the waitlist last week. I'm looking forward to the MD/MPH program. Anyone else doing that?

This move is going to be very poetic. I was born near NYMC, in White Plains, spent my childhood in Ann Arbor, Michigan and my middle/high school years in Palm Beach, Florida.

Then I went back to Michigan for college... now guess where I'm going to med school? You got it. I can't wait!

Congrats! where in Michigan did you go to school?

Congrats! where in Michigan did you go to school?

Back in Ann Arbor - University of Michigan. My mom went to grad school here when I was a wee little boy. Those were the days, when my dad was a resident and we were poor as dirt! :D

If this trend continues, my residency will be back in the womb.

So has anyone received word on financial aid yet?

Hi everybody,

I am pretty sure I will be heading to NYMC this August and look forward to meeting you guys. For the fellow Californians or those moving in from the West Coast, are any of you planning on bringing your own car? I've read others' posts that having a car on campus first two years is a big plus, and have been contemplating a cross-country trip with my own car. Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated from future and current med students. Thanks!

Hi everybody,

I am pretty sure I will be heading to NYMC this August and look forward to meeting you guys. For the fellow Californians or those moving in from the West Coast, are any of you planning on bringing your own car? I've read others' posts that having a car on campus first two years is a big plus, and have been contemplating a cross-country trip with my own car. Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated from future and current med students. Thanks!

I'm also a Californian shipping my car but I'm just having it shipped from the West Coast through a family friend. I haven't finalized the details quite yet but it looks like it's going to be way cheaper to use the autotransport company instead of driving it myself.

I'm also a Californian shipping my car but I'm just having it shipped from the West Coast through a family friend. I haven't finalized the details quite yet but it looks like it's going to be way cheaper to use the autotransport company instead of driving it myself.

That does sound like a great idea, and it would save the hassle of driving nearly 4000 miles myself. Any recommendations on a particular company or companies in CA?

That does sound like a great idea, and it would save the hassle of driving nearly 4000 miles myself. Any recommendations on a particular company or companies in CA?
Also a fellow Californian here, I would probably be shipping my car too. I looked around sdn, asked some friends and everyone seems to recommend Dependable Auto Shippers. Unfortunately the closest pickup port is 50 miles from valhalla...it would be another additional $200 to have them drop it off at valhalla.

So when do we get housing and roommate assignments? I assume we're given contact info so we can coordinate stuff?

Dumb question here folks but are parents, signficant others, etc. invited to Convocation on 10-3-2008?

did you guys receive the insurance packet????
it seems a lot more expensive than what i am having in san francisco....
plus i don't see myself using most of the services ...
do you guys know if there are other plans available
or maybe current students can comment on this blue cross empire plan...
thanks

hey guys,

first off let me welcome you to NYMC!

I just wanted to let you guys know that I have a bunch of books that are used here for 1st and 2nd year. I also have a microscope I'm selling which you also need for 1st and 2nd year. I suggest you guys buy your own microscopes, because the school does rent out a microscope for around 300-400 dollars (not too certain the exact price), but you have to return it at the end of your 2nd year for a $50 refund. So might as well buy your own for the same price, and then sell it again when youre done with 2nd year. Anyways if any of you are interested shoot me a PM with your email address and i'll send you my list. Cheers! and congrats

did you guys receive the insurance packet????
it seems a lot more expensive than what i am having in san francisco....
plus i don't see myself using most of the services ...
do you guys know if there are other plans available
or maybe current students can comment on this blue cross empire plan...
thanks

The school only requires that you have acceptable insurance while you are a student at the school. If you already have a plan in San Fran that you're happy with, and the school approves, then you can keep using it. Just send the school proof that you are currently insured and it should be fine. I think you only need medical, not dental. As far as other plans, I think they only have the one. Its quite good actually, I've used it for the past two years.

Anyone get housing information yet?