NYMC LOR thing I just found out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw on NYMC's site that one of yoru science LORs has to be from someone within the department of your major. My 2 science LORs are from chem people and I'm a bio major...I don't really feel like scrounging up another letter so I think I'm switching out NYMC with a different school to apply to.

Just a heads up as I had no clue about this and would've applied only to never have my file complete. I saw on SDN a while back that they do actually hold you to this strictly.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't possibly be true. What if you major in something other than science? It would be impossible to get a science LOR from within your major. If they adhere to it so strictly, I wouldn't have gotten an interview (haven't heard if I got in or not yet...still within the 8 week waiting period)

hrm, I think I found the page you were talking about...

"One letter of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored, whether science or nonscience."

This puts me in a somewhat strange situation since I'm working on a 2nd bachelors degree in biology. I will have a recommendation from a bio teacher but I certainly won't have a recommendation from my 1st degree in film since I finished that 5 years ago.

They do say lower down...

"If you graduated prior to 2002 and are unable to obtain Letters of Evaluation from your school, we will accept other academically oriented letters. However, keep in mind that providing us with the requested letters will strengthen your application."

I'm sorry I should've said one of your letters, not specifically science.

OVereducated, I'm sure you will be fine. However, I will not. Not a huge thing...I'll look into the school a bit more to see if it's worth wrangling up a letter from some bio guy who I hardly know ;)