NYMC or Downstate last minute decision??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphaluvbug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I am trying to pick between NYMC ($15,000 aid/year) and Downstate (NYS resident). Since the tuition evens out with the aid, I need some experiened advice... Any Downstate-ers or NYMC-ers?? Let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

downstate. without a doubt. the first two years might not be all that different, and nymc is in a nicer neighborhood. but the training you get 3rd and 4th year is far superior at downstate.

do it for the training.

doogiehowserfan said:
downstate. without a doubt. the first two years might not be all that different, and nymc is in a nicer neighborhood. but the training you get 3rd and 4th year is far superior at downstate.

do it for the training.

Unsubstantiated claims: my favorite kind.

I don't know much about downstate, but you can't beat the variety of clinical training available at NYMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Downstate.... you'll get very good clinical experience. NYMC is nicer as far as appearances, but you'll get more from Downstate as far as being a student and those days (if you can get them) when you want to be a non-student and actually have a life.

Downstate.

Agree with most of whats been said above. In terms of years 1 and 2 its most probably equal, both have reps fro being hard. But in terms of the clinical experience, nothing will match the opportunities available at the County.
lasty as tuitions continue to rise youll probably do better financailly at Downstate.

When I was accepted at NYMC, I was also offered a 15,000 'scholarship'. However, half of that sum was truly free money and the other half was a low interest loan. If you are trying to compare costs, I would be very careful in making sure that the money is really free.

I would choose Downstate over NYMC. Simply due to the fact that you can choose to live in some very culturally diverse (and awesome) areas in Brooklyn. You'd be very close to Manhattan too. I would prefer to live in an area where I am a subway stop away (or a few) from lots of exciting things to do.

There most likely is very little difference between the schools in terms of educational experience during the first two years. However, NYMC may be a little more intense during the first year. I've heard (this may just be a rumor) that NYMC bombards students with exams during the first year. That just doesn't seem to pleasant to me.

I'm not familiar with the clinical sites that NYMC students rotate at. I only know that they can choose to rotate through St. Vincents. You would receive an excellent education through Kings County via Downstate.

Honestly, the biggest difference between these schools will be your surroundings. The choice boils down to where do you want to live- NYC vs suburban Westchester.

A friend of mine went there. I can confirm that first year there is brutal. From her, it sounds worse than the average first year.

If you happen to be in Brooklyn next Sunday, May 27 and would like to meet some current and future Downstate students to help you make your decision feel free to join us for an informal downstate class of 2010 gathering (that goes for anyone reading this thread thinking about Downstate). Info below:

SATURDAY, MAY 27th at BARCADE in Williamsburg at 8pm.

Subway: L train to Lorimer St (exit Union Ave exit)
G train to Metropolitian

Walk two blocks down on Union Ave ( you will be walking away from the Highway's overpass)

Or use www.hopstop.com to get subway/bus directions from anywhere in the city.

TIME: 8PM on Saturday, May 27 - Meet by the Frogger Game

-Michael O'Brien, SUNY Downstate, Class of 2010
[email protected]

eag said:
A friend of mine went there. I can confirm that first year there is brutal. From her, it sounds worse than the average first year.

where? NYMC or downstate?