Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

NYMC or U Cincinnati?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by KnowledgeOfSelf, May 28, 2008.

1. KnowledgeOfSelf

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Which would you choose?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KnowledgeOfSelf

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Maybe I should explain a little: I was waitlisted then got accepted by both (thank GOD). I'm OOS at both. I think UC has a better reputation and has cheaper tuition, but I like that NYMC provides housing and I won't need a car. I also had a better experience at NYMC since I knew a student there. I only spent one day in UC and didn't meet any students. This is a really hard decision for me because I don't want to turn down UC just because I don't know much about the experiences people have had there. Any advice is super appreciated.

4. Warwic

Pre-Medical
    Don't know too much about UC but I am currently waitlisted at NYMC too. I'd just go where you felt most comfortable at, and can afford. If you dont mind me asking though, when did you get off of the waitlist at NYMC?

5. FetalDoc

FetalDoc FetalDoc
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Well as you can see Im going to UCincy and I will give you my two cents.First I'm going to give the same line that everyone else will. Go to a school that best fits you. You can graduate from both institutions and get into a great residency program but the question is the schools resources and how it will aid you in accomplishing your goals. In my opinion Ucincy is a better school than NYMC based on resources like How will they prepare you for Step 1 (the class average for them last year was 230), the doctors who you work with and how well their known (for LOR purposes), tutoring, funding for specific programs to met the individual interests of the student body, facilities ( in terms of medical procedures and techniques with particular cutting edge tech) and well Cincy is cheaper.
    As far as student body well I can't add on that. If NYMC is a better fit for you socially and you believe Ucincy is gamble because you don't know if you will fit in that well socially,It will come down to if you want to gamble with it or not. I believe out of a whole medical school there will be people you can connect with but then again I don't know what it is exactly you are looking for in terms of social atmosphere. Im an extrovert so I believe I can cope anywhere socially but thats me and you are a completely different person. If you matriculate at Ucincy I will see you this fall if not I wish you the best in your endeavors.

6. KnowledgeOfSelf

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, I got off the waitlist this week (so excited!). When I went to interview at NY, I stayed with a friend and really got to see the whole campus/area. There was more time to chat with students and the weather was nice.

For Cincy, I drove 5 hrs with my aunt to a hotel that was hosting a biker convention, and I didn't get to see the campus at all. I really liked the doctor who interviewed me. He was amazing. But I only was able to talk to 1 current student before I had to leave and she was not friendly.

I consider myself an extroverted introvert and my main concerns are with the next coming months. I don't know if I should let logistics decide for me, but the move to NY will be much easier. I never thought I'd ever have to decide between schools! What a blessing/curse!

7. nycbeatz

nycbeatz nervous wreck .........
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    congrats and from what i hear at nymc u do need a car for the first 2 years, but not so much during ur rotations

8. cheese4u

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hm, i interviewed at ucinci, and i really enjoyed my experience there! they seemed to really focus on the med students and the staff was really approachable. i also liked the doc who interviewed me a lot and it seems like they really try to make students succeed. pediatrics hospital is also really impressive and they have a lot of well-known doctors there.

9. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I liked Cinci when I interviewed. The possibility to get in-state tuition would be a definite bonus. I never was much for dorm life so I didn't really care for that aspect of NYMC, but if you like it, then by all means go for it.

I made this spreadsheet to help organize your thoughts, perhaps it will help make the decision clearer.

10. Mazelia

Mazelia Enginerd
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I'm finishing up my undergrad at UC (not going there for med school though, mostly due to wanting a change of scenery & significant other being in a different city). I know nothing about NYMC, but in UC's favor, don't forget the brand-spankin'-new facilities that you'll be able to take advantage of! (new libraries, labs, etc. for med students) I haven't been down to the med campus lately so I haven't seen it, but it sounds amazing, and I'm jealous.

Also, I have a few friends who are going to be matriculating there in August, and I can vouch for them as nice, well-adjusted extroverts and extroverted introverts. :)

Good luck making your decision!

11. FenderHM

FenderHM Where there's a will...
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Cincinnati is nice and all but NYC is in a league of its own. granted nymc isnt IN nyc but its so close, and clinical rotations can be down in nyc