Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

NYMC rescinds ban on gay student group

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mateodaspy, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Mateodaspy

Mateodaspy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i doubt if they will support it...maybe the move was political

3. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow. I can't even believe that the school would try to ban an LGBT club. I'm shocked... and so glad that I didn't apply there. In the MSAR they should include in the schools' descriptions whether they have strong feelings against certain groups of people or cultures. This is an important thing for applicants to know about.

4. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    NYMC = Catholic tradition
    Catholics aren't too shy about their beliefs.

5. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I guess I still assume that in this day, even catholic institutions understand that there is diversity and understand the importance in caring for everyone. The catholic church down the street from me is very LGBT-friendly. I could justlive in a happy bubble.

So, you think Georgetown, Loyola and all the others have pretty much similar feelings?

6. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Wow a gay-friendly Catholic church.....*calls Mom* Nope, according to Satan herself, Hell hasn't frozen over.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. microgin

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Georgetown, Loyola, St. Louis, and Creighton are all affiliated with the Jesuits (The Society of Jesus), which can be thought of like a branch of Catholicism. They are not affiliated with a Catholic diocese per se, like NYMC is (The Archdiocese of New York). I thought I remember reading somewhere though that Georgetown had tried to ban a LGBT group affiliated with the law school some years back, but that could have just been a sign of the times. I went to a Jesuit undergrad, and I remember there being a school-supported LGBT group on campus, so I'm not sure what the vibe at the Jesuit med schools is like these days.

8. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    At my NYMC interview, my interviewer told us how ashamed most people at the school were of this decision (at least in his opinion) and how quickly they hoped to change it.

the only concern of mine at NYMC is the OB/GYN rotations at their one (or two?) catholic hospitals that might not include BC or abortion. not that I necessarily endorse either of these practices (esp abortion), but I think you need the exposure to be have a 'full' education experience... just my $0.02, though.

otherwise, i liked alot of things about NYMC (esp the hospitals and anatomy lab--> top notch, imo).

9. BooMed

BooMed Optomist
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Yeah, it's called the Northwest. :love: :love:

10. boyz of 4d

boyz of 4d Proud Member of 4d
    10+ Year Member

Just to clarify one thing, if you want to do an OB - GYN where abortion can be learned you jsut have to choose to do it at any of the hospitals that are not of catholic affiliation (the other 21)

11. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    true, but they're probably gonna face more crackdowns even here. i was able to hold onto to being a catholic a bit longer because i moved to portland, but i couldn't do it any more. the latest news from the church is that they're going to kick gay people out of the priesthood. sounds reasonable maybe, but there goes all your priests.

12. BooMed

BooMed Optomist
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'm not Catholic, but I have a lot of respect for the papacy. I was pretty disappointed when an even more conservative pope was chosen last year. :( Talk about a step backwards.

On a happier note, I love Portland! I'm from Eugene. :love:

13. medicomel

medicomel Purveyor of short posts.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    While I was there for an interview, a 3rd-yr student mentioned that the overall atmosphere at the school was rather nonreligious. Oh, and it was National Coming Out day, and there were posters everywhere talking about LGBT issues in health. I thought this was pretty bold, given the fact that a push for an LGBT organization was denied (at that time).

14. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i'd be interested in knowing about loyola too

15. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Loyola doesn't have an organized group but after my interview there, I sense that it is more because of numbers than administration. Sexual orientation is part of their non-discrimination statement. I didn't get a homophobic vibe from them at all, in fact mentioning my partner during casual conversation with admissions staff and not having anybody blink. I was even accepted, so there will be at least one gay guy there next year.

16. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Flopotomist is really excited about Loyola... so I'm thinking it can't be all that bad. But I have no idea.
    I tried to avoid applying to schools that had any religious connections. I would like to keep other people's spirituality and my education separate.

I like Seattle too. yay tolerance.

edit: hah, we replied at the same time.