NYMC,Temple,Hahnemann,VCU/MCV - which to choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r124c41

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYMC,Temple,Hahnemann,VCU/MCV - which to choose? Just got off three waitlists in less than a week. NYMC has clearly higher MCAT average and has beutiful, convenient, safe environment for 1st two years, and provides best prep for USMLE 1. But it is being continually bad-mouthed on this site. Temple is best known. Hahnemann has newest technology. VCU/MCV is part of big school, with good funding, and good facilities. All give only loans, no grants, all are private or out-of-state.

Members don't see this ad.

Temple, of course. Of all the other schools you got into, its the only one to rank in top 50 (Gourman report). Since I live around Temple Univ campus I can tell you that Philadelphia is so underrated as a city. It is like a miniature New York without all the crowds. Plus Temple gives out tons of grants/scholarships if finances matter to you. Just my $0.05.

Temple for no question.
better school then any of the ones you listed. but dont tell them I told you bc Im applying to them this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on all your acceptances!!! If you don't mind my asking, when did you get off the NYMC waitlist? and how? (by phone, or mail) Also, when were you interviewed and waitlisted. thanks!

NYMC acceptance in January. Temple indicated all loans, no grants. Sometimes it pays to be poor....

*sigh* the delimma of having to choose between med schools. :)

I would probably take Temple over the others. North Philly isn't the safest place of all, but did you know that NYMC is next to a county prison? I think that the teaching at Temple is excellent and they really cater to their students.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Gourman report, but i think you'll receive the best education at Temple...you could always live in one of the nearby suburbs (roxborough) or center city...

-Peter

BTW, hurry up and give up your spot to NYMC. I am waitlisted there and need people with multiple acceptances to give up their spots! :) (I am also waitlisted at Temple, so it isn't like i am totally biased :) )

-Peter

are you crazy????????????????? temple is the most ghetto university i have ever seen in my life! NYMC is not only prestigious, but my friends say it's a great place to live. i am purposely NOT applying to temple because i am afraid that if i get in and no place better, i might have to choose it. i don't want that, so i'd rather not even know.

Which state are you from? Out of those I would attend NYMC. They have had high board scores over the years and you get to do some of your clerkships in NYC. Howere I am somewhat biased I have been accepted to EVMS and waitlisted at NYMC, and VCU. However I want to go to VCU b/c of the state (VA resident) price. I was wondering did you find out through mail last week from them and I know that you might not want to give stats but I will give it a try -what your MCAT and GPA are. Thanx

Which state are you from? Out of those I would attend NYMC. They have had high board scores over the years and you get to do some of your clerkships in NYC. Howere I am somewhat biased I have been accepted to EVMS and waitlisted at NYMC, and VCU. However I want to go to VCU b/c of the state (VA resident) price. I was wondering did you find out through mail last week from them and I know that you might not want to give stats but I will give it a try -what your MCAT and GPA are. Thanx

Jayesh: 32, 3.3 Ivy

Jayesh, sorry, other questions: VCU I found out by visiting site and following up with e-mail to them, seeking further info. Hahnemann & Temple, telephone call last Wednesday. Unless either of these sweetens the pot significantly, it's NYMC. Will decide in next one or two days. I think the somewhat bucolic ambience at NYMC is something people either strongly love or strongly hate. The new science building is impressive. Good Luck! Don't give up, who knows from one day to the next in this process?

Chose NYMC. Gave up places at Temple, Hahnemann, VCU/MCV. Would have been quite happy to have gone to any one of them. Good Luck!

r124c41: If you dont mind, are you a Cali resident?

Yes, I'm CA resident. A little statistics from AAMC site: for last year, 2000 entering, class there were 988 CA slots in all of CA; 4448 CA applicant, 835 of whom got into CA slot, 1084 got into non-CA slot, and 2529 didn't get in [in 2000].

r124c41: I have sent you a private message.

Temple has the good ranking and is a very good medical school. I'm kind of partial to MCP becuase I go there, but everyone that does, loves it. The technology is amazing and it's moving up since it's well past the financial troubles. Good luck at NYMC!