NYMC vs Albert Einstein Beth Israel-NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdrtoledo

Pharm Delicious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Tried researching these two and cannot find much info. They look pretty similar on emramatch.org. Anyone have any info they are willing to share? I might have to choose only 1 of the 2 to interview at due to time restraints. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ATNS

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Beth Israel last year. It was last on my rank list... but it made my rank list. Here were the notable pros/cons:

Pros:

1. Loved the program director
2. It's in Manhattan (Fun)
3. 3 Years (this was big for me)
4. Lots of scope for research, and I think one would garner lots of support -- they've got the resources to devote to it, so anyone with an interest would, I think, get a lot of financial support and guidance.

Cons:

1. It's in Manhattan ($$$). And Cold. Brrrrr....
2. Only Level II trauma center. Had to rotate elsewhere for Level I experience. This was probably my biggest red flag, and now that I am through intern year, I am glad I put a lot of emphasis on this -- I love the way that the ED nurses, other attendings, techs, etc. view me as one of "their" residents, a feeling that is less frequent the more often you do off-site/ off-service rotas. Sure, it is important to have at least SOME exposure to other sites than your primary training spot, but it was a little crazy at BI given the need to rotate elsewhere for Peds, Trauma, etc.
3. The Yankees, Rangers, Jets, Giants and Knicks all suck.

In its defence, however, I have no doubt that there are enough 'sick' patients at this "Level II" center such that it really is a lot like a Level I most other places in the country with the exception of strictly trauma.

At the end of the day, if I HAD matched at Beth Israel instead of my #1 choice, I still would have ben happy.

Good Luck.

Go Mets!!

:D

bulgethetwine said:
I interviewed at Beth Israel last year. It was last on my rank list... but it made my rank list. Here were the notable pros/cons:

Pros:

1. Loved the program director
2. It's in Manhattan (Fun)
3. 3 Years (this was big for me)
4. Lots of scope for research, and I think one would garner lots of support -- they've got the resources to devote to it, so anyone with an interest would, I think, get a lot of financial support and guidance.

Cons:

1. It's in Manhattan ($$$). And Cold. Brrrrr....
2. Only Level II trauma center. Had to rotate elsewhere for Level I experience. This was probably my biggest red flag, and now that I am through intern year, I am glad I put a lot of emphasis on this -- I love the way that the ED nurses, other attendings, techs, etc. view me as one of "their" residents, a feeling that is less frequent the more often you do off-site/ off-service rotas. Sure, it is important to have at least SOME exposure to other sites than your primary training spot, but it was a little crazy at BI given the need to rotate elsewhere for Peds, Trauma, etc.
3. The Yankees, Rangers, Jets, Giants and Knicks all suck.

In its defence, however, I have no doubt that there are enough 'sick' patients at this "Level II" center such that it really is a lot like a Level I most other places in the country with the exception of strictly trauma.

At the end of the day, if I HAD matched at Beth Israel instead of my #1 choice, I still would have ben happy.

Good Luck.