NYMC vs Albert Einstein Beth Israel-NYC

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by drdrtoledo, Dec 3, 2005.

1. drdrtoledo

drdrtoledo Pharm Delicious
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi guys,
    Tried researching these two and cannot find much info. They look pretty similar on emramatch.org. Anyone have any info they are willing to share? I might have to choose only 1 of the 2 to interview at due to time restraints. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ATNS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bulgethetwine

bulgethetwine Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

I interviewed at Beth Israel last year. It was last on my rank list... but it made my rank list. Here were the notable pros/cons:

Pros:

1. Loved the program director
    2. It's in Manhattan (Fun)
    3. 3 Years (this was big for me)
    4. Lots of scope for research, and I think one would garner lots of support -- they've got the resources to devote to it, so anyone with an interest would, I think, get a lot of financial support and guidance.

Cons:

1. It's in Manhattan ($$$). And Cold. Brrrrr....
    2. Only Level II trauma center. Had to rotate elsewhere for Level I experience. This was probably my biggest red flag, and now that I am through intern year, I am glad I put a lot of emphasis on this -- I love the way that the ED nurses, other attendings, techs, etc. view me as one of "their" residents, a feeling that is less frequent the more often you do off-site/ off-service rotas. Sure, it is important to have at least SOME exposure to other sites than your primary training spot, but it was a little crazy at BI given the need to rotate elsewhere for Peds, Trauma, etc.
    3. The Yankees, Rangers, Jets, Giants and Knicks all suck.

In its defence, however, I have no doubt that there are enough 'sick' patients at this "Level II" center such that it really is a lot like a Level I most other places in the country with the exception of strictly trauma.

At the end of the day, if I HAD matched at Beth Israel instead of my #1 choice, I still would have ben happy.

Good Luck.

3. TheSecret

TheSecret Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Go Mets!!

:D