NYMC vs. Creighton vs. WL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C.P. Jones

Catface Majigger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been spending a lot of time going back and forth on these schools, and it's about to drive me crazy....but I can't complain.

Both schools seem similar in many respects, but w/ differences that are just not "deal-breakers" for me.

Cost: both will cost approximately the same. I have Creighton's fin aid package, all loans...63K. NYMC will not get fin aid to me by 5/15, but tuition is barely lower, and I will live on campus, so first 2 years may be barely cheaper, and then 2nd 2 years if I go to NYC will be a bit higher...I think it is pretty even.

Both schools seem like they are amazing schools to learn at, although not "top-tier" or whatever.
I like the University environment at Creighton, but I was also a fan of NYMC's "dedicated" environment w/ the med school as it's main focus.
Faculty are extremely supportive at Creighton, and I don't think as much so at NYMC. But I also think I can get whatever help I need at NYMC...it's just not easily shown/forced upon me.
Living at Creighton will be in apartments, and the one I stayed at was HUGE for 350 per 2 roommates. NYMC is dorms 1st 2 years, but I was in dorms at UConn, and at home now, so I would not mind going back to dorms. In fact, it may be easier having all utilities taken care of, and having most of the class right there...leading to a closer class.
I guess about 90% pass USMLE's at Creighton (past thread info) and 100% at NYMC...both say above average, but I have to guess NYMC is pretty far above average since it seems to be a big selling point...so NYMC wins on Board Prep
Everyone or nearly everyone matches into the specialty of their choice at Creighton. NYMC's website says 3/4 get their top 3 match choices. Both schools had a couple scramblers, and I "recognized" NYMC's match results more since there were a few more east coast hospitals....i most likely would want to stay on the east coast.
NYMC is near NYC, and probably IN NYC for rotations. I think that makes NYMC win on clinical experiences. Creighton Med Center sounds smaller, and UNMC sounds like the better hospital...taking away from Creighton.
However, I don't think I would mind Omaha too much (i did go to cowtown UConn for undergrad...so Omaha would have A LOT more for me).....but it is far from family (need to include cost of traveling back home...NYMC is an hour and fifteen minutes from home) and can't compare to NYC. I know NYMC is in valhalla, but it's a nice suburban town and close enough that you can go whenever you want.
Creighton is H/P/F, and not based on other's performances, so very uncompetitive...NYMC is H/HP/P/F, and keeps class percentages the same, so seems more competitive, but students say otherwise.

I know it sounds like a lot of NYMC leaning above, but I enjoyed my stay at Creighton, I like the atmosphere, I like the students, and all that makes it a hard choice....but I am Italian...so "just moving" cross-country away from family is pretty big, and the fact that they will cost the same, i think.

Any more opinions??? Any dealbreakers??? I've had a lot of help from those in the class threads, but I think some outside opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!! (maybe i can see some "negatives" about either).

As for my WLs:

UConn is middle-third, sure, ranked school on both lists, state school so cost will be less, but they have shafted me 3 times now so I'm annoyed at them, the "campus" as a building on a hill is unattractive, and it's primary-care focused....still, it's cheaper and respected

VCU: not sure what I think about it...I think compareable to NYMC and Creighton

Tufts/UVM: both great schools, both will be more expensive than even NYMC/Creighton. I have no idea where I stand w/ these schools. Tufts is still "active consideration"...i think WL now.

Thanks so much for anyone that has any input at all...I just need someone that has an outside thought other than my own since i have about exhausted all my thinking and can't get rid of anything.

Members don't see this ad.

even though its in nyc , nymc doesnt have as a good a rep as you might think.. also, creighton even for an east coaster is well known as a good school

did you get a chance to sit-in on any classes? when i was at nymc, i sat in on 2 classes and was thoroughly disappointed in both profs i saw, they both seemed like they didnt want to be there and mumbled off their notes, i have a feeling that if i go to nymc, ill barely attend class there, but then again, how comparable is this to creighton, is it the same way? anyone know what rent is like in nyc for rotations? also how much are dorms?

i would say if u get uconn go for that, if not they are all prolly even...

Members don't see this ad :)
did you get a chance to sit-in on any classes? when i was at nymc, i sat in on 2 classes and was thoroughly disappointed in both profs i saw, they both seemed like they didnt want to be there and mumbled off their notes, i have a feeling that if i go to nymc, ill barely attend class there, but then again, how comparable is this to creighton, is it the same way? anyone know what rent is like in nyc for rotations? also how much are dorms?

i would say if u get uconn go for that, if not they are all prolly even...

i didn't get a chance to sit in on any classes because I was a lucky person w/ 2 interviews...i even missed a good portion of the tour.

i do think if i get into uconn i should let go of my anger against them :)

dorms are relatively reasonable, i think just over 9K including utilities. i'm sure NYC rotation rent would be a lot, but it would be NYC though...so I should think if I really think that's worth it to do clinical rotations in the city, assuming I get that option (and if i don't, i can stay in westchester). my assumption is that creighton professors are good b/c the way that they help students is always highly praised, which is one of the reasons i like it there.

idk what to think of nymc reputation. People never seem to think much of it, but I thought the match list looked good, and clinical experiences would be better/more diverse. If anyone has any opinions on match lists....I know not to look too much into them, but it must be a bit helpful:

Creighton Match List
NYMC Match List

Hey CP, I'm in a very similar boat...got into NYMC, Creighton, & a few others (although I'd most like to just stay in CA where I'm waitlisted). But with the choices I have now, it's b/w Creighton & UVM b/c those 2 just gave me a better vibe for much of the same reasons U mentioned (nice, happy, uncompetative, cooperative people) plus one of my buddies from undergrad goes to Creighton and loves it. I'm from So Cal and live near LA so I'm definitely used to big city life, but my gut is telling me Creighton or UVM. I'd just go with the school U felt most comfortable in, and don't worry about what anyone else says. Don't know if that helps, but hope it does.