NYMC vs. Downstate Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tuition costs are completely irrelevant to me. Location, on the other hand, considering the fact that I'm married with two kids, is very important. Therefore, please assume that both schools cost the exact same. Based on this, which would you pick:

Members don't see this ad.

I will mention upfront that I am biased; I hated Downstate (for many reasons). I liked NYMC much better than Downstate. I would recommend (if tuition is not a factor) NYMC over downstate in a heartbeat. I think that NYMC is a better school in a MUCH nicer area and that the students at NYMC are much nicer than the Downstate students. I live in the Bronx so the "ghetto-thing" never phases me, but if I had two kids, I would not want to live with them near Downstate b/c the school is in a really rough area. Good luck with whichever school you decide on.

P.S. I don't think that you would get superior clinical training at Downstate vs. NYMC. It is true that you would get great experience working with underserved populations and you would see everything at Downstate, but just remember to keep in mind that NYMC has a zillion affiliates and that you could most likely get very similar clinical experience at NYMC.

I agree with daisygirl about the locations of the schools. NYMC is in a beautiful part of the country with really great facilities. The neighborhood at Downstate shouldn't scare you because it's a "really rough area", though. The only problem I have with Downstate's location is that it is hard to get to and is pretty congested. Other than that, it seems pretty safe to me. (But then again, I am a 6'4, 200 lbs male).

Also, the student-happiness issue is entirely subjective. I had just the opposite experience from daisygirl. The Downstate kids seemed enthusiastic and happy, while my NYMC tour guides were pretty blah.

It's a tough choice. If cost wasn't an issue, I'd probably take NYMC. For me, cost is an issue, so I'd take Downstate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I lived close to NYMC in Westchester county from ages 3-12, and I have to say that it's a nice place to grow up in. Your kids will be happy :D

I have only met 2 people that go to Downstate and they both said they are happy with their education and the price.

I have not visited either school, but I wanted to put in my $.02 as always.

Thanks for the feedback, all, and to daisygirl, sternrower, and foxy. I'm definitely leaning toward NYMC myself.

Foxy, congratulations on Finch. I remember reading somewhere you had wanted to go to NYMC -- too bad, it would have been fun to have you as a classmate. There are probably a whole bunch of people who are withdrawing their acceptances from Harvard, JHU, and Columbia to go to Finch instead. For the next four years, I think USNews will have to create another column in their rankings called "Foxy Attends" or something that will significantly affect a school's position. It would go something like:

1. Harvard
2. Hopkins
3. Finch
4. Wash U
5. UPenn
6. Duke
etc.

Thanks again.

Bumping to get Monday night's crowd.