NYMC vs EVMS vs OUWB vs Loyola (vs Tufts)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please vote for one east coast school and one midwest school!

Hi all, thanks for your time! This comparison is a mix of acceptances, waitlists and silence. Just wanted to get some input before traffic day and the madness that brings. I would probably pick Tufts if given the opportunity so that is not a poll option. If anyone thinks one of the other schools would be better feel free to mention that! I would like to stay closer to northeast if possible, especially due to a family member's health. I am also interested a competitive specialty and would like to match on the east coast/northeast. (Hope that doesn't sound arrogant or presumptuous coming from someone with these options.) COA is a big factor, but so far looks like full sticker price all around. Also hoping for a happy and close knit student body.

NYMC
Pros
  • Northeast, near NYC without having to be in NYC, driveable from home, no more planes!
  • Excellent range of clinical sites
  • A lot of M1s live on campus, promoting a close knit community
  • Mini boards, strong prep, emphasis on medical education

Cons
  • H/HP/P/F
  • seems to get a lot of shade on SDN, why?
  • Touro takeover?
  • Moving to NYC after M2 could get $$$$$

EVMS
Pros
  • East Coast, Beast Coast (really enjoyed Norfolk, Virginia Beach area, mild winters)
  • Proximity to main teaching hospitals, less moving around
  • Highest Step 1 score in the state (236)
  • Very laid back culture

Cons
  • OOS tuition
  • Would have to take a summer class to meet reqs $$$
  • Despite being east coast, is just as far from home as midwest options
  • No gym on campus, trivial I know

OUWB

Pros
  • The most "at home" feeling, really liked all the people I met, current and prospective
  • Beaumont health is incredible
  • Very cheap COL
  • H/P/F, no bell curve grading, everyone can Honor

Cons
  • Midwest, far from family/friends
  • New school, not sure how established the reputation is, especially to the northeast/east coast
  • Didn't see electives offered in the specialty I am interested in
  • Residency Director score 2.1

Loyola
Pros
  • Warm, close knit community
  • Chicago! (eventually)
  • Different tracks for bioethics, global health, etc
  • Residency Director score 3.0

Cons
  • Midwest, far from family/friends
  • Maywood is meh
  • Perhaps too Jesuity? would be interested in current student opinions
  • Unsure how Loyola is viewed in the northeast/east coast

Summary: With location in mind, I'm really trying to get a feel of peoples' opinions on the quality of education and preparation at these schools, as well as happiness and community feel of the students. I appreciate any and all input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a pretty in-depth analysis. Curious to know what the Residency Director score means.

From what I have seen, Loyola seems to be a slightly more sought after school in that list, the rest being more or less at the same level. However from what you have said it seems like NYMC may be the best option for you in terms of location, family and training unless you don't mind being in Chicago.

Reactions: 1 users
You have a pretty in-depth analysis. Curious to know what the Residency Director score means.

From what I have seen, Loyola seems to be a slightly more sought after school in that list, the rest being more or less at the same level. However from what you have said it seems like NYMC may be the best option for you in terms of location, family and training unless you don't mind being in Chicago.
Thanks for the reply! From what I understand RD score is a measure of how RD's view the quality of undergraduate medical programs. I believe EVMS and NYMC were 2.6 and 2.5 respectively, and Tufts 3.6.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the acceptance! Don't mean to derail your thread, but I am accepted at NYMC and was just wondering why Touro takeover is listed as a con?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! From what I understand RD score is a measure of how RD's view the quality of undergraduate medical programs. I believe EVMS and NYMC were 2.6 and 2.5 respectively, and Tufts 3.6.
Ok thank you, where can you find the RD score of a school?

Congrats on the acceptance! Don't mean to derail your thread, but I am accepted at NYMC and was just wondering why Touro takeover is listed as a con?
I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I have seen it tossed around SDN with a negative connotation. Wondering if it has to do with funding? research opps?

Ok thank you, where can you find the RD score of a school?
I saw a chart floating around here of the Top 50 or so, the rest I got from US News.
upload_2017-4-18_21-56-26.png

I'd say based on your apparent preferences NYMC sounds like the best fit for you.

How do the two midwest schools compare? OUWB vs Loyola?
OUWB is a relatively new school but well liked by students. Their facilities as well as hospital are supposed to be very good. Location is meh compared to Chicago.
Loyola I think is a much more established solid med school, well respected in the Midwest. I loved my interview there in terms of the facility, people and environment. I have heard from current students that the Jesuit factor does not in anyway affect students who are not Jesuit. I would easily pick Loyola over OUWB.

Reactions: 1 users
So I feel that east coast > midwest. And loyola > ouwb. How about NYMC vs EVMS? Location and other personal factors aside, which is the stronger program?

So I feel that east coast > midwest. And loyola > ouwb. How about NYMC vs EVMS? Location and other personal factors aside, which is the stronger program?
They are pretty much in the same tier/level. Based on cost and proximity to family, NYMC sounds like a better option for you.

Thanks for all the helpful responses! I updated the poll so people could vote for an east coast school, and a midwest school! This would be useful for my arrangement of A/WL.