NYMC vs. EVMS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ayeaye, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ayeaye

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I was recently accpeted to NYMC and was accepted to EVMS a while back. I am in-state at EVMS but I haven't gotten a financial aid package at either places. I am torn because although my family base is in Va beach, I am just looking for a new experience in location. So I am loving the idea of moving near NYC and being able to do the rotations in NYC. I am currently working at EVMS so I will get all the benefits of continuing research, knowing the professors, etc. I am looking for a change but I don't know if its worth the extra money. I also like the fact that at NYMC you can get an MD/MPH in four years while at EVMS it takes 5. I know both are great schools and I can potentially go anywhere after medical school. I am hoping to get a wider perspective on this. Does NYMC have a better reputation than EVMS ? Is it wise to pass up an opportunity to be near NYC? Please help :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Beamer128

Beamer128 You can stand anything for 10 seconds

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm waitlisted at both schools...I'm hoping I'll get to decide between the two as well!

If I were in your shoes, I'd choose EVMS. Both schools are great schools, but you'd get in-state tuition + financial aid at EVMS, and you already have connections with the faculty there. Kick butt in medical school and you'll have a chance to practice wherever you want, so what's another 4-5 years in va beach?

Good luck with your decision...either way you can't go wrong :thumbup:

4. Doctor J

Doctor J Libelous.

Attending Physician
    Doctor J's rule of multiple acceptances: Unless there are family connections to consider, always, always, always go to the cheapest medical school that accepts you. No matter how much you protest it now, you will one day look at your stafford home page and slap your forehead and say dear lord, that's a lot of debt. And it matters a lot to me.

Your medical school experience is your own and you make it. Board studying and away rotations are very important and are 100% under your control. If you doubt it consider this fact: every US allo school has students who match into the most competitive specialties at the most competitive programs.

5. medgrlsox21

Medical Student
    aye aye...like the monkey?

and yeah unless you're a lucky one with parents footing your bill or a lottery ticket cheaper will make your life easier in the long run and the money you save can be put towards a sick apt in new york city for residency hoping you won't live in someones closet pretending to be a 1 bdrm

6. OCallag

Resident [Any Field]
    If it were me I'd go to EVMS. Compared to the other VA schools it's very cheap (even before financial aid) and, as you know, it's in a cool location. Probably nowhere near as fun as NYC, but it's very relaxed, decently urbanized, etc.

7. flip26

Medical Student
    "No" and "yes" are the answers to your questions...

8. cheese4u

Pre-Medical
    hmmm... i've heard that nymc does have a better reputation than evms, but that's from faculty who are in academic medicine and went to nymc so they probably have a biased perspective :) overall, it seems like nymc is a better place for academic medicine while evms provides solid clinical training. i'm sure you can go into academic medicine from either school though, if that's something you're considering. i think nymc has a more recognizable name, but i'm from california so maybe we tend to favor the coasts :p

i have friends who are at both, and both seem to like it. both are great schools, congrats!!

9. saqrfaraj

Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    Uh...EVMS is practically on the beach. It's in Norfolk, VA. NYMC is more inland.

10. flip26

Medical Student
    You beat me to it...I had to laugh at the "coasts" comment...

11. cheese4u

Pre-Medical
    hahaha, oops. oh well :)

12. medstudent122

I would go with NYMC. New York is definitely the health care capital of the entire world. I heard from a friend that NYMC's financial aid offers are overly generous and they give out a ton of scholarship money as well. They also have great residency placement as well: 22% entered the field of internal medicine, 11% radiology, 10% emergency medicine, 10% general surgery, 10% pediatrics, 5% anesthesiology, 5% neurology, 5% opthalmology, 5% family medicine, 4% physical medicine and rehabilitation, 3% orthopedic surgery, and 2% obstetrics and gynecology. NYMC is the more competitive school with a higher avg. MCAT and GPA of incoming students. The greater NYC area is also an amazing place to live and study if you want a change of scenery.

13. rams36

NYMC.

NYMC has the better reputation. If you want a change of scenery and want to get a MD/MPH in 4 years, then obviously NYMC is the choice for you. Westchester County is an awesome place to live. You get all the perks of a suburban neighborhood with NYC in your back yard. Going to med school up there will open up a ton of opportunities for you. They also give awesome fin aid and scholarships at NYMC.

14. flip26

Medical Student
    Baloney.

And of the 6 or 7 schools in and around NYC, it comes in dead last in any sort of "rank the NYC schools" thread.

NYMC is a good school. So is EVMS. Make your choice based on something other than more or less equivalent "reputation."

15. Warwic

Pre-Medical
    I'm not sure anyone was claiming NYMC had a better reputation then the other NYC schools. Just that it was better than EVMS.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Daydreamer2008

Pre-Medical
    who cares about financial aid? tuition is half the price at evms than at nymc. there is no contest here.

Thecomposer likes this.
  18. flip26

Medical Student
    Hey bub, when you get a few more than 3 posts under your belt, and the poster I was replying to has more than 4, your opinions might carry a little more weight around here.

My point stands - trying to tease out the difference in reputation between these 2 fine schools is ridiculous. Someone making this choice should find another basis for choosing - like, maybe, cost/debt?

19. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me

Medical Student
    You'll be fine at either school. Wait till residency for the new and exotic places. Now go to the place that lets have the option of choosing whatever speciality without the massive burden of debt. My dad went to NYMC, so obviously I like it...although he went there back when it was IN new york city on fifth ave. I wouldn't worry about prestige too much though. Unless you are at Wash U., UCSF, Harvard or one of those places then it really doesn't mean much of anything...aside from a cooler sweatshirt and bragging rights.

20. Daydreamer2008

Pre-Medical
    :thumbup::thumbup:

Not to mention EVMS has a smaller class size if that's important to you (190 at NYMC vs. about 100 at EVMS). NYMC is still an hour from NYC. and although you are able to have the option to do rotations in NYC your 3rd year, the expenses in NYC are ridiculous.

Reputation is the same.

21. Warwic

Pre-Medical
    I was never trying to disprove your argument, in fact I agree with most of them. Just didn't understand why you were brining up the other NYC schools when this thread was about NYMC vs EVMS. I apologize.

22. flip26

Medical Student
    Fair enough, no apology necessary.

My point about NYMC's "reputation" in NYC was tongue-in-cheek. I think basing school choice on rankings and reputation is silly, but you see it all the time here on SDN.

People may disagree on the order, but the top 3 criteria for selecting a medical school are cost, location, and perhaps curriculum. The most useless factors for choosing a med school include USNews rankings, "reputation" as measured by those rankings (and by starry eyed fellow pre-meds and parents), and match lists.

23. Squiddie

Squiddie Watch out for the cactus

I would personally choose EVMS. Frankly, I don't care too much about reputation (I think that you'll be made into a good doctor anywhere).

I know you want to see somewhere new after living in VA Beach your whole life (I understand, I lived in Bad News), but I think it would be better to stay at EVMS, where you'll be in less debt at the end. Their grads have gotten into residencies all over the country; I'm sure you can go anywhere.

24. medstudent122

The reason people argue NYMC has a better reputation is because their incoming students have considerably higher average GPA, BCPM, and MCAT scores than incoming EVMS students. And in all fairness, the majority of allopathic med students in the US are either attending a private medical school or are at med school out of state. Therefore, cost is certainly not a prohibitive factor. At NYMC, financial aid, tuition assistant grants, and scholarships are given out very generously. The point is that you will be a doctor making a lot of money and paying off these loans will be no problem. There is also forebearance, where for most loans, not only do you not have to pay them back during residency, but you are not charged any interest either. In all honesty, you should attend med school where you feel you will get the most out of it. As someone from the South as well, I really understand wanting a change of scenery and wanting to explore the dynamic NYC area.

25. flip26

Medical Student
    Two BS points, examples of fairly common starry eyed premed wisdom on SDN. You might want to talk to actual med students, or better yet, residents, and get their take on this stuff.

You really should get up to speed on the recent changes in med student loan programs - forebearance and no interest charges during residency are a thing of the past. Along with consolidating loans at 2 percent.

26. medstudent122

27. flip26

Medical Student
    That is out of date. It is a new world for med students and residents today.

28. medstudent122

No, I am afraid to say you are very wrong. Right click on the document and then click on document properties. The document was created by the AAMC on 5/6/2008. I think that qualifies as fairly recent.

29. ayeaye

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thanks for all your responses. I talked to some physicians too and their advice was to stay at EVMS. They say the quality of education may be a bit higher at NYMC because of its proximity to NYC but not much higher. EVMS is a decent school and their students do reallyy well on the boards. I think I will decline NYMC.

30. flip26

Medical Student
    There is a bill in Congress right now to change all of this to a quite unfavorable outcome for med students and residents. Get informed.

Second, the point about massive debt loads still stands - you are a pollyanna if you think that because you are going to be a doctor you will have no problems paying back $250k+ in student debt.

Keep on drinking the SDN koolade!

31. flip26

Medical Student
    Good luck!

32. Gut Shot

Attending Physician
    Recent, yes, but the statement only applies to subsidized loans, which comprise a minority of the typical student's loan burden. For instance, I left med school with about $137,000 in debt, of which subsidized loans made up about $32,000. The remainder is unsubsidized, which accrues interest even in deferment.

As for paying off loans being "no problem," perhaps you should check out these two idiots.

33. Gut Shot

Attending Physician
    Congrats, IMHO you're making the best choice. New York City is great and all, but it's like a bathroom: everyone needs to visit, but would you really want to live there?

34. Ginzo

Medical Student
    Dude got into a cheap MD school, but chose to go to a DO school that is three times as expensive so he could move into a ****ty Chicago condo and get his bike stolen. It's the American dream in action!

35. punkindrublic

punkindrublic calls shenanigans

Medical Student
    Yeah, that kind of confused me. You get into an instate school, but then decide to go to an expensive DO school because you're 'more likely to get a residency in Chicago'? That just doesn't make much sense to me. At all.

That said, if given the opportunity for instate tuition, I would do it in a second. Unfortunately, I don't have a state school, so I'm pretty much screwed financially no matter what.