Not open for further replies.

michiganpsych08

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
The Windy City
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys!

I have to turn to SDN for help choosing as I am not sure what to decide here. Both schools has its pros and cons but unfortunately since Meharry starts in June I have to make a decision by April 15th instead of the traditional May 15th deadline. Which would you choose??

NYMC
pros:
- near NYC
- really nice facilities
- beautiful campus and students seem happy
- potential opportunity to do part of rotations in NYC
- high board pass rate (like 100% last time altough this is student specific)
- decent match list, although not as important for me since Im not gunning for any competitive residencies as of right now

cons:
- dorm style living - im 2 years out of college and moved off campus sophomore year so I have been doing the whole apartment thing for a while and I like my privacy
- curved grading system
- long academic year although I hear this is changing
- touro merger - although many say this could be a good thing and not really a "merger" more of touro taking over financially so could bring in more money

Meharry
pros:
- very family orietented so would go attention and have a good support system
- have friends who go there and they love it
- Vanderbilt Alliance
- Nashville is much nicer than Valhalla

cons:
- I have heard negativity from people stating if you got into other places don't go to meharry
- classes start in June
- pass rate is only around 90%

I just dont know what to do??? I guess another thing that is concering is if I accept Meharry that pretty much puts me out of the running at other schools that I A. haven't heard from yet and B. schools that I am on the waitlist for because waitlist movement continues til August and by then I will have started classes. So...thoughts??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd pick NYMC, personally, it's a good school that people seem quite happy at.

BubbaChuck3

7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Nymc ftw!!

whoknows2012

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm biased...but...not sure why curved grading would be seen as a con? So far after taking something like 20ish tests there has yet to be a curve that didn't help every student.

iloveboloties

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
It seems you want to go to Meharry for social/lifestyle reasons and NYMC for academic reasons. You need to evaluate what is more important to you in the long-run.
If they're match lists are similar I would choose whichever is cheaper.
Also I'm pretty sure you can stay on waitlists through the summer even if you matriculate at Meharry on June 1. Is that not true?

Oct 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys!

I have to turn to SDN for help choosing as I am not sure what to decide here. Both schools has its pros and cons but unfortunately since Meharry starts in June I have to make a decision by April 15th instead of the traditional May 15th deadline. Which would you choose??

NYMC
pros:
- near NYC
- really nice facilities
- beautiful campus and students seem happy
- potential opportunity to do part of rotations in NYC
- high board pass rate (like 100% last time altough this is student specific)
- decent match list, although not as important for me since Im not gunning for any competitive residencies as of right now

cons:
- dorm style living - im 2 years out of college and moved off campus sophomore year so I have been doing the whole apartment thing for a while and I like my privacy
- curved grading system
- long academic year although I hear this is changing
- touro merger - although many say this could be a good thing and not really a "merger" more of touro taking over financially so could bring in more money

Meharry
pros:
- very family orietented so would go attention and have a good support system
- have friends who go there and they love it
- Vanderbilt Alliance
- Nashville is much nicer than Valhalla

cons:
- I have heard negativity from people stating if you got into other places don't go to meharry
- classes start in June
- pass rate is only around 90%

I just dont know what to do??? I guess another thing that is concering is if I accept Meharry that pretty much puts me out of the running at other schools that I A. haven't heard from yet and B. schools that I am on the waitlist for because waitlist movement continues til August and by then I will have started classes. So...thoughts??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
I never interviewed at meharry, but i did interview at NYMC and I LOVED IT! It was one of my top choices primarily because of its location (right outside nyc) and its beautiful campus and facilities. Yes, the dorm, apartment style living sucks, but think of the positive aspects - like not having to travel far to get to school, no traffic, no daily parking problems, easy to get involved with campus activities, and easy to socialize and visit friends. If you want to match in the northeast (nyc in particular), NYMC could be really helpful because you will be doing rotations in those areas and it is really well-known in the northeast.

islandprincess

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
It seems you want to go to Meharry for social/lifestyle reasons and NYMC for academic reasons. You need to evaluate what is more important to you in the long-run.
If they're match lists are similar I would choose whichever is cheaper.
Also I'm pretty sure you can stay on waitlists through the summer even if you matriculate at Meharry on June 1. Is that not true?

No, not true. She can stay on wait list until she matriculates but afterward she will not even be contacted if her name is chosen. The school contacts the school she is supposed to attend first and if she has matriculated she won't even know she was pulled from the wait list.

I would choose NYMC so that I had a greater chance of getting off other school's wait list in the summer and to hear back from schools after April 15th and also because I don't like Meharry for personal reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.