NYMC vs. SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway188

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you should go to Downstate. The pros for Downstate are very strong. As far as the cons - I don't think the opinion of internet strangers should matter that much considering I don't think it's Downstate students hating on Downstate. If it were that would be a problem. I would ask people you know who go there. Not feeling like you earned the spot really shouldn't be a concern. You earned the spot. You got another A this cycle so clearly Downstate wasn't the only one who thought you were a good candidate. Perhaps when choosing between you and someone else similarly qualified they picked you due to your connection, but even that sort of thing just means you got lucky not that you didn't deserve it.

Downstate.

Look, you're picking between two low-tier MD schools in a competitive city. Downstate has a better match list and a stronger track record of sending it's grads to good programmes in the tri-state area despite being much more dysfunctional of an institution. You'll save money, have a better clinical experience and have a better alumni network to work with.

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished my 3rd year at Downstate. Feel free to message me if you have questions or want to hear my thoughts.

In brief, I've really enjoyed my time here and am very happy, but the administration can leave a lot to be desired. I don't think any school is perfect, so in the end you should try to choose a place you'll be happiest at if they seem equal as far as opportunities go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should go to Downstate. The pros for Downstate are very strong. As far as the cons - I don't think the opinion of internet strangers should matter that much considering I don't think it's Downstate students hating on Downstate. If it were that would be a problem. I would ask people you know who go there. Not feeling like you earned the spot really shouldn't be a concern. You earned the spot. You got another A this cycle so clearly Downstate wasn't the only one who thought you were a good candidate. Perhaps when choosing between you and someone else similarly qualified they picked you due to your connection, but even that sort of thing just means you got lucky not that you didn't deserve it.
Thank you so much for this. I keep trying to tell myself the second point, but that imposter syndrome is going to get ya, i guess. It's true that the pros are way stronger, and I am heavily leaning towards downstate right now. :)

Downstate.

Look, you're picking between two low-tier MD schools in a competitive city. Downstate has a better match list and a stronger track record of sending it's grads to good programmes in the tri-state area despite being much more dysfunctional of an institution. You'll save money, have a better clinical experience and have a better alumni network to work with.
Very true and I didn't even think about the alumni network. Thank you for responding!