Jul 6, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I recently got accepted to NYMC GSBMS and UAlbany for MS bio. I’m having a hard time making a decision so I thought I’d get a few opinions from third parties

UAlbany
Pros

- costs less
- I already met with a professor who agreed to be my advisor, I know what project I’ll be working on

Cons
- I guess the reputation/ranking? from what I’ve gathered the education isn’t as rigorous as say Stony Brook

NYMC
Pros

- most likely going to med school after this so better name/connection

Cons
- costs WAY more
- don’t have a research advisor and would have to figure everything out after I accept the offer

so basically do I go for the one that has the “name” but cost more/comes with more uncertainty or do I go for the cheaper but less reputable one where I know what I’ll be working on? (Also if anyone has more information on grad research at NYMC please feel free to add)

Aug 19, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Neither school really has a name that would set you apart in med school admissions. Go with UAlbany for lower cost and established mentor.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 6, 2020
Status (Visible)
Neither school really has a name that would set you apart in med school admissions. Go with UAlbany for lower cost and established mentor.

I reached out to the MS program director at NYMC and they said classes will be online for fall semester and you’ll get a thesis advisor after year 1 (first year is mostly core classes)

I’ll have to do campus housing for UAlbany (or at least get a room or apartment) but for NYMC I can do classes online so it’ll be less money for at least 1 semester or year and I don’t have to find housing in less than 2 months)

so putting cost and everything aside, which one do you (or anyone reading this) think offers better quality of education?

ruledaworlds

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Check whether UAlbany classes are online--as someone who is more local to the area, I thought they were. But I agree with mass-premed66 that they would likely give you a similar quality of education.

About the Ads
Jul 6, 2020
Status (Visible)
Check whether UAlbany classes are online--as someone who is more local to the area, I thought they were. But I agree with mass-premed66 that they would likely give you a similar quality of education.
it’s gonna be a mix of online, in person, and hybrid. So ultimately I’d have to move there for fall semester
right now my incentive for leaning towards NYMC is that I don’t have to move anywhere while the world is in this state and continue working

Jul 6, 2020
Status (Visible)
just bumping this a little if anyone wants to add anything
after considering the financial aspect of it i think I’m gonna go for UAlbany (NYMC will be online but the tuition is still the same)

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.